Adventures of NWN:EE!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cortex

Re: Adventures of NWN:EE!

Post by Cortex » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Xerah wrote:TLDR, Two sides:
1. People are currently playing for free and don't want to pay money to keep playing.
2. Other people don't mind paying the extra $20 to get updates to make the game run smoother (i.e. all those Nvidia bugs)

Group 1 calls out supporters of group 2 as being paid off or "shilling".

There has been a lack of actual "new" content seen thus far, so there is something of a point with group 1, but running a smooth game far outweighs any additional content for most people.
That's an extremely poor way to say it, and couldn't highlight the problem I mentioned any better.

I'd consider myself part of "group 1", who isn't play for free (I bought every copy of the game), and would prefer if current users didn't have to buy a second. Yet I'm not saying anyone who is hyped for the game to be a shill, and I know others who share this sentiment and way of thought.

It isn't fine for people in "group 1" to call "group 2" shills, but what you're saying is downright insulting and factually wrong. A more correct way to define each group would be along the lines of:

1) People who have skepticism of EE and it's merits, promises, and cost, as well as it's potential effect on Arelith.

2) People who are hype for EE, and see no/few issues with EE.
:)

CyclopsWasRight

Post by CyclopsWasRight » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Here I am just wondering how I get in on this sweet Beamdog shill action.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Cortex wrote:1) People who have skepticism of EE and it's merits, promises, and cost, as well as it's potential effect on Arelith.

If this was really how it was, there wouldn't be a division.
Last edited by Xerah on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Cortex wrote:
That's an extremely poor way to say it, and couldn't highlight the problem I mentioned any better.

I'd consider myself part of "group 1", who isn't play for free (I bought every copy of the game), and would prefer if current users didn't have to buy a second. Yet I'm not saying anyone who is hyped for the game to be a shill, and I know others who share this sentiment and way of thought.

It isn't fine for people in "group 1" to call "group 2" shills, but what you're saying is downright insulting and factually wrong. A more correct way to define each group would be along the lines of:

1) People who have skepticism of EE and it's merits, promises, and cost, as well as it's potential effect on Arelith.

I actually disagree with this definition, but this is the problem with the word "division", and in general I find it rather over-dramatic word-choice, but that's just me.

There are some who are skeptical because of lack of content. Some who are worried they can't afford it. Some that are worried there will be a bunch of future costs for little things. Most are going to buy it anyway, if they want to keep playing Arelith, that much is not going to change. Should they really be in the same group though?

There are some that are plain not going to buy it. They could be a group three. And there are some that are going to buy it no matter what, and have no strong opinions, and others who are very excited and want to share everything.

Regardless, most of this though really ought to be on Beamdog's forums though. The Active Admin's have no say, power, or control over what Beamdog does. This is really where many of the posts on this thread should have gone.

What needs to stop, as the Admin's have pointed out, is the conspiracy theories without physical evidence.

This thread ought to remain about the Arelith EE module specifically from here though.
Please don't feed my sister.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm

...Are we still on about this?

Let it go. It's not the purpose of this thread.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 am

Welcome to Arelith, HWR.

Pakito

Post by Pakito » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:24 am

This is a big one for me: Did they add/fix Borderless Fullscreen aka Windowed mode at full resolution?

Nordic_War_Song

Post by Nordic_War_Song » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 am

I can answer that for you, Pakito, they did in fact fix that :D

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:39 am

Windowed mode in EE is the greatest and it works hah
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 am

Okay DMs! I hear you! I see you!

CHALLENGES ACCEPTED!

Icescale Drake
Tame the Untameable!

What is that?
Oh, that's just mean!
Reach the Unreachable!

:twisted: :lol:

What else you got?

Nordic_War_Song

Post by Nordic_War_Song » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Nordic_War_Song wrote::) Accidents happen
Clarification; He misclicked the flame arrow instead of the healing kits. :P

Pakito

Post by Pakito » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm

YES! That alone is enough for me to buy the game! Thanks fam! :D

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 am

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:20 am

Frozen in place, literally
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:26 am

Horrid Wilting Revolver wrote: Keep up the pace on the server. I love it.
Wanted to pick up on this before, but didn't get the chance. Right now the technical crew are working hard to try and and keep this working as further updates to Head Start come in, as well as address known issues with the NWNX version we have running there. While I worked very hard on this to get to a point where I felt it could be played enjoyably, and do look forward to making further additions, currently I'm more interesting in optimising/balancing the new content than adding more.

Ultimately my development efforts go where the players are, the my focus, for now, has very much returned to the main modules. With no ETA on EE I feel it would be an error to exclusively focus my efforts on the Distant Shores, and as I said, I'm happy with where it is right now. For another thing development there is made far more complex by it not yet being tethered to the resources of the live module, and will be a good deal easier to achieve once EE is released.

Again, I love it that this is being enjoyed, but the exceptional pace at which it was achieved was extremely draining, and not something I could easily maintain.

Right now, as far as content updates are concerned, we're looking at Sencliff, Sibayad and further improvements to the quest system. I will be a better position to judge what manner of update would best suit Distant Shores once it has been more thoroughly tested, so please keep the feedback coming - but probably wise to temper expectations of new content.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am

Worth noting is that more Regular Arelith features will be added to Distant Shores EE as new updates on NWNX and NWN EE comes out. This process will carry on until everything Arelith 1.69 side works on EE and as we rely on NWNX which do their weekly builds we try and get our updates out weekly as well.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 am

Noted! Thank you for the info.

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Is there anyway to play Regulith with EE? Guessing it's not backwards compatible. My regular NWN completely breaks with my gcard and I don't want to downgrade my drivers, as I am playing a lot other modern games.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Not yet, but there will be once we've migrated the main server to EE (which will be after EE is released).
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:03 pm

livingNPC wrote:Is there anyway to play Regulith with EE? Guessing it's not backwards compatible. My regular NWN completely breaks with my gcard and I don't want to downgrade my drivers, as I am playing a lot other modern games.
Wait, are you saying that NWN:EE doesn't have the graphics issue from NVIDIA cards/drivers? The one causing 'cloth' to not render, so you have people with floating heads when they wear robes?
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 pm

It does not. I have not noticed it anyhow.

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm

WanderingPoet wrote: Wait, are you saying that NWN:EE doesn't have the graphics issue from NVIDIA cards/drivers? The one causing 'cloth' to not render, so you have people with floating heads when they wear robes?
Compatibility is a huge reason why companies republish old games in general.

Continued support and compatibility is the only reason I need to be excited for NWN:EE.
The latest array of bugs has kept me from playing for months, since I kind of need my PC for other things than NWN and can't rollback any part of it.

Horrid Wilting Revolver

Post by Horrid Wilting Revolver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Find the Unfindable?

I'm definitely no where near the Skull Crags. :P

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Horrid Wilting Revolver wrote: I'm not a New Player. New Account, yes, because it had to be to play on the EE Server. I hope that confusion is cleared up. I've been playing on Arelith for about 10 years now. I still remember the original Cordor layout. Does anyone else remember the ol' Apple Stall in the Upper District and where it's lost owner could be found? :P

Yep!
Poor old lady's still stuck in Stonehold. Or how bout Bernto's old shop? "Nobody beats my meat!"

Honestly, I would play EE more if I didn't have stuff going on in regulith. The main character I'm playing right now is a sorceress named Circe Derinoe (bonus points if you get THOSE references! And no, its not GoT)

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire