Cost of Doing Business (as a game dev)

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Xerah

Cost of Doing Business (as a game dev)

Post by Xerah » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 pm

An article was floating around today that is relevant to Arelith.

https://medium.com/@morganjaffit/the-co ... 9cc5cc8728

I’m not sure if we have it easier on NWN or not. On one hand, a lot of people certainly understand that developing for a PW isn’t a paid job, but on the other hand, I’ve gotten harsh feedback before and I’m sure many of the Arelith devs could say similar.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Cost of Doing Business (as a game dev)

Post by CragOrion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 am

I've been pretty unforgiving in response to some of the game developments put into Arelith in the past and I regret it. I hope all you guys who've taken heat from me for your hard work will accept my apology. I do appreciate your work, even if I didn't agree with the content at the time when it was implemented.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 am

I almost posted that article here yesterday.

I held off, however, because while there's definitely a level of salt in some comments here that goes above and beyond what is reasonable towards volunteers working to make the gameworld more enjoyable, as an actively moderated community we've avoided the worst that happens on the open 'net. Still, I'd be happy if everyone in the community read it :-)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 am

I read it, and personally, if any player ever sends the Devs and Coders a message like they get, I hope to gods they are permabanned on the spot.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:06 am

Arelith did nothing wrong.
20 RPR GANG

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 am

Good article!