Growing sights of racial inequality in game

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Improv

Re: Growing sights of racial inequality in game

Post by Improv » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:33 am

forget it then
Last edited by Improv on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:14 am

Improv wrote:Be racist. Even super, hatefully racist. But if you're really gonna be extreme with the hate a little OOC note to your current target apologizing for your character can go a long way.
Improv wrote: your current target apologizing for your character can go a long way.
Agreed. The target should apologize.
20 RPR GANG

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:43 am

I hope Dreams posts in here soon :)

boggle99

Post by boggle99 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:16 am

I find the racism immersive personally. I currently play a half orc, one ofthe most racially abused races in the lore and as a player I love the interactions. From Elves treating him either as a servant or this horrifying threat that they fully expect to try and gut them at his first I opportunity. To dwarfs open mistrust and hostility, little things like adding a mark up to anything he buys from them to full on emote offs with each side preaning and peacocking to try and intimidate the other.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:29 am

I think the IC balkanizing of the surface races is absolutely great for RP. Its been literal years since the surface has had a war that wasn't Banites vs all. It would be great to see the racial settlements begin squabbling over land and resources, and actually draw steel over something other than merely team good v team evil.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am

Freyason wrote:I hope Dreams posts in here soon :)
Maybe this time we'll get lucky. Here comes the lock!

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am

I've never had a problem with fictional racial inequality and fictional racism in the game. I would go so far as to say that fictional offense is part of the game-- as long as it is fictional. I play half orcs all the time. I can't see myself getting ofended IRL because a char (not a player ) calls my half orc half breed or takes an elitist attitude. IM not a half orc and the other player isnt an elitist or racist. We are pretending to be such.

Most of my chars have some kind of racial hatred or prejudice because there is not a single Forgotten Realms race that doesn't have conflict with at least one other race. I expect my half orc to be hated by elves or dwarves. Drow and elves are supposed to hate each other. And so on.

It can be fun. If you don't think so then tell people so when they try to RP that way. I am sure they will accomodate you. Just don't expect thier char to like yours if that is how the rp is.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 am

I think what DD and cap'ncuddlepants are talking about is an increase in OOC tension between people who main different races. I know cuddlepants has taken OOC abuse from people for playing an elf, and I've received similar treatment at the hands of players who main elves in Myon before, though as I generally avoid willfully having anything to do with Myon in any form for several reasons(I main drow PCs and past OOCly hostile experiences have left a bitter taste in my mouth, not to mention the mythal means any conflict is a onesided affair whereing myon either turtles up and ignores you completely, or attacks with impunity. There is no middle ground,
and espionage is impossible because mechanics, so why bother?
) it hasn't been an issue I've run into recently.

The lingering distain for UD players from times past can easily be seen on the forums, as can distain for myon's community. It takes but a simple search to find threads about the mythal, or the UD subforums being shut down, to see this server's community at its worst. Ocassionally, one will get a barrage of hostile tells from the other side simply for playing a character archetype.
Such treatment is not okay, but sadly is not unheard of either. Procuring screenshots isn't overly hard either. One just needs to be willing to put yourself in a position where you're willfully engaging the elves(As a UD race) or coming down into Andunor fishing for PvP(as an elf, or just be unlucky like cuddlepants and get enslaved while we have had a trend of goodly characters getting themselves enslaved willingly for spying purposes), and you'll probably run into one of the hostile longtimers eventually.

This isn't something I recommend anyone do, as it isn't healthy to actively seek out hostility, but when the inevitable does happen, and you recieve the odd barrage of hostile tells, screenshot it and report it. Its not okay. At the same time, there is little point pretending it doesn't happen either. A brief conversation on any of the Arelith discords can quickly swirl with vitriolic language if you bring up drow, the mythal, or the elves outside of the lore section.
Last edited by Durvayas on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am

demihumans can't jump
🤡

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 am

Problem with individuals, and nothing else. Report and move on.
:)

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 pm

If you ar experiencing OOC racism of any kind report it. Even if it's racism against a fictional race.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:47 pm

This topic reminds me of the new Netflix movie Bright.
but yeah, report it.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:12 pm

A character of mine got called a bigot for being prejudicial towards a tiefling. I was the only one in the crowd.

That's what sent me back on hiatus.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm

This thread has sufficiently run its course.

Summary:
1: Don't make a post about a purely IC issue on the forums right away. Give some time to reflect first. Discussion is good though, but see 2.
2: Racial inequality is part of the setting, and will remain part of it. If anything, growing signs of racial inequality is a good thing.
3: Report OOC Griefing. If you didn't report it, it didn't happen.
4: Make sure you separate IC from OOC. If you're certain it's OOC, see 3.
5: Remember the other player is human too, and you can always try to reach out if you have a concern.

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:A character of mine got called a bigot for being prejudicial towards a tiefling. I was the only one in the crowd.

That's what sent me back on hiatus.
If instances of this become common expect changes.
Please don't feed my sister.