You didn't sign your message board message.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

You didn't sign your message board message.

Post by Barradoor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 am

Therefor all of your points are invalid.

Seriously, why is this still a thing? Do you sign your full name to posts you make here?
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

BegoneThoth

Re: You didn't sign your message board message.

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:34 am

?
\

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 am

If you are talking about the fact that many ckars do not sign their messages on in game message boards. let's just say there are reasons for it. If yo want to know what they are FOIG :).

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:25 am

Black Wendigo wrote:If you are talking about the fact that many ckars do not sign their messages on in game message boards. let's just say there are reasons for it. If yo want to know what they are FOIG :).
No, I'm saying that people who respond to anonymous messages with

"You didn't sign your name."

And that's it add literally nothing to the server and really shouldn't even post.

It's the easiest 'cop out' of avoiding valid points.
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:32 am

Please keep it ic.

Please tell members of your faction to stop giving me grief in greentext about someone that isn't me not signing their name.
\

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:36 am

Your name on the forums is signed to the right --->
It lets us know who is talking, every text you send and recieve IRL on your phone comes with a name, phone number, or other means of identification.
I'll challenge you to go to your local bulletin board "any of them" and find one single message posted there without a means of identifying who posted it, via name, contact information, or company affiliate.

Anonymous messages simply aren't taken seriously by anyone, there's nothing out of the norm here
Plays as the monster in your closet

Voidstone Roulette

Post by Voidstone Roulette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 am

That is in character. That is a signature to a name that you can look into.

In character.
0 Bonus: Does not stay in character, rushes around from spawn to spawn killing things with little to no interaction.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 am

Everyone does sign their name to their posts here, by Forum ID. It's absolutely reasonable that someone's words would have less weight in some situations if they don't sign their name to them. Just this year there's been a lot of talk in real life about the journalistic ethics of over-reliance on anonymous sources. There are absolutely times when it's important for a source to protect their anonymity, but it also needs to be recognized that there's a credibility cost to remaining anonymous.

Now, as to how well people are RPing that cost in game is another question, but the problem with the example you gave above is that it's a bad way to argue it, not that it's necessarily a bad point.

In in-game terms, it absolutely might be that someone is posting anonymously because they'll be killed if they don't, but it also might be that the poster is being dishonest or trying to put ideas out into public without paying the social cost for those bad ideas.

A message that someone is willing to pin to their identity is better than an anonymous message, and hopefully people will RP that in a thoughtful way.

Also, it is really bad form to call out a specific person's RP in a veiled way in public like this. Report what you think is poor RP to the DMs, not to the public forums.