Arelith: Enhanced Edition & You - FAQ

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Miaou

Arelith: Enhanced Edition & You - FAQ

Post by Miaou » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:58 pm

In light of the announcement of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and Arelith’s plan to move to that version of the game, there has been many questions and concerns regarding how the transition will happen, how it will affect certain parts of Arelith, what it means, and what it will require from you, the player.

I decided to make my own little FAQ so there’s a one stop shop for answers, and a place to point people to. Will add more as time goes, feel free to add or correct anything and I will update!

Is Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Required to play on Arelith

Currently, no. In the future, yes.

Arelith will be running on the Enhanced Edition server software in the future, and requires players to have the Enhanced Edition to play. Current plans are for the transition to be slow, over the course of a month or two depending on the feel of the community.

  NWN:EE - FAQ

Character and vault transfers, vault wipe?

There will not be a vault wipe, and we can transfer over characters from our vaults.

This will be done by giving the game your original CDKey and the new one for the Enhanced Edition, automatically transferring the data.

  Enhanced Edition - Dicussion, Answered by Liareth (Scholar Midnight)
  NWN:EE - FAQ

What Version do I need?

Only the standard Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is required.

The Digital Deluxe version adds premium modules, or campaigns, and the HD Original Sound Track. Unless you wish to play these premium modules yourself in single player or with friends, it is not needed for Arelith.

  Beamdog.com - Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition
  Beamdog.com - Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Digital Deluxe

Will I need to buy the Shadows of the Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark Expansions?

No.

The expansions come shipped with the Enhanced Edition.

  Beamdog FAQ

Beamdog or Steam?

Either platform works, currently only Beamdog's launcher and path allows Early Access.

Beamdog has said it will be giving Steam keys to those who bought the game through their website and systems.

  Beamdog FAQ

What will happen to current fixtures, shops, and quarters ingame?

They will be transferred over.

The staff will see that the transfer of characters, quarters, and everything else will go as seamless as possible.

  Enhanced Edition - Discussion, Answered by Irongron

What about Roleplay Rating and Rewards?

Updated with an answer! Shall be transferred.

  Arelith: Enhanced Edition & You - FAQ, answered by Dunshine

What Can I play Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and Arelith on?

Windows, Mac, and Linux!

Windows 7, 8, 10. MacOS X 10.9 or newer. Ubuntu 12.04 or later, Fedora 21, Debian 8. The toolset will be windows only, though.

Can I play Arelith on the Enhanced Edition right now?

Yes and no.

Currently, there is a seperate server running the Village of Skaljard, an isle north of Arelith. People with the Enhanced Edition can play on this server and in the future when Arelith in it's entirety is transfered to the Enhanced Edition, one can travel from Shaljard to Arelith.

  Enhanced Edition - Discussion, Answered by Irongron
  Enhanced Edition - Discussion, Answered by Irongron (Additional Details)

How does the Enhanced Edition server for Arelith work?

Global server list works, so launch the game and search for "Arelith EE Demo" there. The direct connect IP seems to be 138.201.20.77:5129 .

Currently, Arelith is hosting an Enhanced Edition server that allows us to play together. It is not persistant and is lacking NWNX scripts for Arelith specific content like subclasses, NPC tweaks, etc. When they port over the NWNX scripts and the server becomes persistent it will have the same content that Arelith currently has, just on a different isle.

Additionally, UD/monstrous races may be restricted until the entirely of Arelith is moved to the Enhanced Edition.

  Enhanced Edition - Discussion, Answered by Mithreas
  Lore on Skal (NWNEE Server Setting)
  Arelith: Enhanced Edition & You - FAQ, Answered by Mithreas

System Requirements

Required System Memory (MB): 1 GB
Minimum Graphics: OpenGL 3.0 compatible
Processor Speed (GHz): 1 GHz for Windows, Dual Core Processor for Max/Linux
Storage: 10 GB available space

  Beamdog.com - Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Graphics and Content Additions

Higher resolutions (1080, 4k) supported, UI scaling, Shaders (Vibrancy, Depth of Field, High Contrast).

  Beamdog FAQ

Expected Changes

While "content" in the form of new models, effects, classes, etc are not being added, there has been optimization changes, many bug fixes, and improvements to the game's base code. The game should be running a lot smoother.

In addition, the games code is slowly being changed away from hardcode. This means development teams like we have on Arelith will be able to do a lot more and add our own content much easier, things that could not even be done with Haks.

  Beamdog FAQ
  Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Release Notes

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Bugs and Where to Report Them

Go to this nifty guide right here.

General Information:

Beamdog FAQ
Beamdog Neverwinter Nights Forum
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Product Page
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Release Notes
Beamdog's Announcement Stream VoD
Last edited by Miaou on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Ozzy.nl

Re: Arelith: Enhanced Edition & You - FAQ

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:19 pm

About system requirments what i find weird is that steam says we only need 521 GB.

Also linux and mac system requierments are difderent frombthe windows one acording to steam.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:About system requirments what i find weird is that steam says we only need 521 GB.

Also linux and mac system requierments are difderent frombthe windows one acording to steam.
It was 512 MB, not GB. And I am going off what is posted on their own webpage. I'll add the required dual core processor for the mac/linux things though and the storage requirements.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Oops typo XD

Improv

Post by Improv » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 pm

When the Arelith EE persistent world goes up, will Arelith specific classes and class changes be immediately available (wild mages, totem druids, warlocks etc etc) or will this be stock NWN for now?

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 pm

To my understanding, the current Arelith EE server is a demo server, for us to play together on. It's lacking Arelith's custom content in the form of the Arelith database. When our team gets our content, like the subclasses and such, transfered, the server will be out of the demo stage and playable just like you were playing Arelith. Just on a different isle for now.

I'll see if I can fetch a better explanation for you, as well.

Edit: Found it!
Mithreas wrote:
So, once the demo period is over, characters made on the EE server are permanent into the future?
That is the plan, no promises for the demo over the next few days, but beyond that, we intend to carry everything forward.

The current EE module actually is based on the Arelith engine from 10 years ago, because the NWNX plugins aren't ready yet. In a few days, we'll upgrade the EE module to connect in to the same database as the current live servers... and at that point we should be able to guarantee persistence.

Improv

Post by Improv » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks- I did mean the "official" server, not the temporary demo. Just planning my character!

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Of course! It will work when they get the NWNX plugins working, you won't have to worry when the demo server becomes persistent.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 am

The intention is that we will have the current full engine available once we have a functional NWNX build (which is nearly ready, but not quite done yet).

We may not expose all races - e.g. the EE server may not support Underdark races until we move the full module across. I can't currently see any reason that we wouldn't expose all class options, though.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:21 pm

How will prestige classes be handled in the EE server? (Palemaster, assassin, harper scout and Shifter), Do you just send a PM to the active DM's as normal for an application or is there someone in specific overseeing the EE server?

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Once the NWNX bit is ready, can we import cdkeys too?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Think that's done automatically server-side, if you have vanilla cd-keys.
\

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Is there an approximate sense of the release date?
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:57 pm

Q: What about Roleplay Rating and Rewards?

A: They will be transferred.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:37 am

Information updated for 'What about Roleplay Rating and Rewards?" and "How does the Enhanced Edition server for Arelith work?", to include answers and details given by Dunshine and Mithreas, respectively.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 am

Might be a silly question, but what exactly IS NWN:EE? (Marginally?) better graphics, optimization for modern OS's, and a general re-release to attract more people to an old game... but will it actually be adding anything to the gameplay? Such as new classes, spells, campaigns, etc? Will it allow the Devs to do things that otherwise would only be possible with haks? Will it add a steam-esque workshop for custom campaigns? Or is the goal of this update simply to expand the life and modability of NWN.
Last edited by Dalenger on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:27 am

It can add all those things because they are making it a goal to un-hardcode the hard-coded stuff. Such as class changes from level 1/character creation.
\

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:32 am

BegoneThoth wrote:It can add all those things because they are making it a goal to un-hardcode the hard-coded stuff. Such as class changes from level 1/character creation.
So all the major changes are dev-level? Not to say that this isn't a very good thing, but from a immediate or single-player point of view, nothing major is changing.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:37 am

-As far as I know-
in order: It's NWN with (currently) a 1.74 patch, notes here, but they mentioned in the stream today they'd be adding continually every week or so, asterisk, until release.

Most of what's in the current mod is backend enhancements right now to make it work on current + future systems, game and server stability, etc. Liareth/Scholar Midnight coded the server enhancements Arelith has into the EE so every server can run as stably as Arelith does, as well as making parts of NWNx baseline to the game. (I'm sure they've done more, but that's what I know!)

They're trying to un-hard-code as much as possible so that tweaks that would've required NWNcx, haks, etc are more doable on a developer level.

New classes/spells/etc are apparently on the table for later. There's some threads about that on the beamdog forums/several suggestion threads made by DM Symphony over there.

Hak classes and races can be selected at level 1 like Thoth Mentioned.

Steam workshop support in general is being looked into, was mentioned on the stream. As is a hak autodownloader like NWN2 has.

Part of the goal is to extend the life of NWN, add more players, and get it back to a place where new players can come in without going through hell/rolling back drivers.

Yes, the whole 'nothing is really changing' thing is popular but I don't buy that. NWN's strength was never, for me, what the base game provides. This seems more like a 'community makes stuff' patch as of the moment, but again, they're taking suggestions and actively developing it- but those suggestions are over on the forum, here.

That said please please please let this remain an informational thread without weighing benefits/maluses or complaints or arguments, the other thread has enough of that.

Edit: Forgot Liareth's comments and rainbow elf
Liareth wrote:Soon:

- Per-part armour colouring. (https://i.imgur.com/vrjQ5aE.mp4)

- Natively supported hidden items. (helm, armour, left hand, right hand).

Near future:

- Natively supported character/creature scaling.

Mirw
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Mirw » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:57 am

Overrides:
soundset.2da,
portrait pack unlocker?
Those will be available aswell?

where the screenshots saved?

And where can i put my very strange visual bugs? (i have amorph white-black amobas appear, like made by paint on my middle of screen) over the original screen.

Thanks.
"Burn Them All!"
Plays as Ret, the pyromaniac tribal wargob

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:11 am

I mean, I can check those right now. Beamdog's got their own bug reporter thing somewhere, I'll try and dig it up when I've got time for more than one thing.

Edit: can confirm portrait and soundset unlockers work on the EE
Screenshots are saved in user/documents/neverwinter nights/screenshots

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:18 am

I'm not tech savvy so pardon me if this seems a stupid question.

When downloading the new EE, does it overwrite/ use the NwN game i currently have or will I have two of the same game? Will voicesets be on the new EE or will I lose that?

Am I to understand that the EE will ask if I have a CD key from the original game? If so i'll have to find my books as I've been running the original disks for 15 years on every PC I've owned.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:23 am

In order:
No, yes-technically, no it's a different install directory and you'll have to copy that stuff over.

No it has its own cd-key but if you drag your nwncdkey ini into the new folder it'll do some kind of double-confirm magic that Liareth could explain better, and for the love of god, neighbor: your cd key is stored in an ini file in your NWN folder, you don't have to dig it out of the books.

Mirw

Post by Mirw » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:13 am

this is it.

https://mirw.deviantart.com/art/Arelith ... 1511597608

and thanks for the rest of answers
"Burn Them All!"
Plays as Ret, the pyromaniac tribal wargob

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm