how to join the temporarily Arelith EE Demo?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

how to join the temporarily Arelith EE Demo?

Post by Terenfel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 pm

got the NWN:EE Preordered. how do i join the temporarily Arelith EE Demo server? :P

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: how to join the temporarily Arelith EE Demo?

Post by Twily » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Assuming you pre-ordered through Beamdog...
Go to: https://www.beamdog.com/products/neverw ... rt-english
Sign in your account, then click the Get Started button just below the title.
Start up your Beamdog Launcher after this, sign in, and look for where it says "English" with a drop down arrow just below the title for NWNEE.
Select the drop down arrow, click English - Head Start, and then download/install it.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Sorry if it's a stupid question but is the head start available for the standard purchase as well as the package deal?
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:36 pm

From what I've seen, yes.
I'm not certain though.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Yes.

greatfanfare

Post by greatfanfare » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 pm

SteelsSweets wrote:Sorry if it's a stupid question but is the head start available for the standard purchase as well as the package deal?
Yes, just follow the steps Twily posted

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 pm

is this not available yet? I paid 20$ and it doesn't appear to be yet available after downloading beamdog client
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:33 pm

Did you go to the website page I linked above and click the "Get Started" button? You'll need to do that before it'll swap the headstart version from Buy to Download in the client.
(don't forget the drop down arrow in the client to make sure you're on the headstart version as well)

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:54 pm

To get the headstart downloaded:
1. Open the Beamdog client.
2. Underneath the Neverwinter Nights title there's a drop down menu, the default selection should be "English", select "English - Head Start" from it.
3. Select "Buy Now".
4. Wait for the website to load up. (Make sure you're signed into it when it does)
5. On the page that opens, near the top, there's a small option called "Get Started", the button is blue. Click it.
6. You now have the Head Start activated on your account, return to your Beamdog client, restart it, then choose the "English - Head Start" option again and you can now download it.

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:48 am

can a DM confirm if there will be a pwipe?
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:03 am

pwipe? Vault wipe?

I expect we will vault wipe in a few days when we migrate to the proper Arelith engine (i.e. when the temporary demo ends and the fully integrated module goes up) since current characters won't work very well post engine migration. However, once we have the proper module in place, there will not be any further vault wipes - any characters created then will be importable into the full Arelith world once that catches up with the times.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:39 am

Mithreas wrote:pwipe? Vault wipe?

I expect we will vault wipe in a few days when we migrate to the proper Arelith engine (i.e. when the temporary demo ends and the fully integrated module goes up) since current characters won't work very well post engine migration. However, once we have the proper module in place, there will not be any further vault wipes - any characters created then will be importable into the full Arelith world once that catches up with the times.
oh boy.. might wanna put that in dunshine's post in updates. kinda told a few people i'd wait for a while before getting EE... and some said they would do that aswell. don't think they expect their old characters to be gone if they are a little late for the party.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:52 am

I don't think I was clear, sorry.

Characters on the main Arelith server will not be wiped at any point in this process.

Characters made on the temporary EE demo server that is running, at any point up until the demo server is moved onto the modern engine, will probably be wiped (as migrating them is unlikely to be simple). If we find a clever answer, we may not wipe them - but right now I consider them at risk.

However, characters made after we migrate the demo server to the full engine, or on the main server at any time, will not be affected.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 am

ah cool. but considering what your saying. since arelith will evolve over years to come. wouldn't there eventually come a time when old none EE toons migrating to EE will be at risk?

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:08 am

From what I've seen from the devs and the beamdog team they have specifically worked to make sure old content, characters, etc are still usable by the EE servers. I think the term they used is backwards compatible.

I don't see the difference between a 8 year old character and a 1 year old character migrating it's really just a file of information.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:15 am

Just as character files were fine when the expansions were released, I think the risk is very low that they would ever be rendered unusable by an update.

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:23 am

I've been making characters on the EE server already and exporting them to my localvault in the old NWN installation to mess around with them on the PGCC. No difference whatsoever.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:08 am

I think the difference comes in what the Arelith server qualifies as a legal character, since there have been a lot of changes to classes and other things in Arelith. Pulling from a server that has different standards about what is a legal character can be problematic. That's my understanding at least.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:58 am

Yep - the current demo lets you create aasimar etc, but gives them soft bonuses rather than modifying their base stats the way the modern engine does. We removed all our migration code for that sort of thing a long time ago, and I'm not sure we'd want to grandfather in a bunch of restricted subraces and things.

Ultimately the decision won't be mine, I'm simply trying to set expectations that current demo mod PCs may not survive.

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 am

EE test server seems real nice..cant wait for the wipe so I can get back to working on a pc there..

I suppose we're still looking at..what..3 days that right?
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Mirw
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Mirw » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:00 am

A question comes into my mind. Characters are
Ok and clear, but what about the quarters. Shops and other properties especially if there will be parallel run of the servers if i get it right?
Or there will be a date when we shut down the old and relocate every in DB to the new? (Factions system , quarters, shops, fixtures)
Thanks
"Burn Them All!"
Plays as Ret, the pyromaniac tribal wargob

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:01 am

frightnight wrote:EE test server seems real nice..cant wait for the wipe so I can get back to working on a pc there..

I suppose we're still looking at..what..3 days that right?
when EE is'nt in beta anymore and the team moved arelith. think it's phase 3 that say in a month or so.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:10 am

Probably more like 2 months, with christmas around the corner and all

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:11 am

but am I wrong in assuming after this pwipe on test server in 3 days that all pcs created on arelith ee wont be wiped again?
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:55 am

frightnight wrote:but am I wrong in assuming after this pwipe on test server in 3 days that all pcs created on arelith ee wont be wiped again?
That's exactly our plan, correct.