Re: Arelith NWN EE Phase 2

Post by Ork » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:06 pm

I just can't wait for EERP

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:44 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:Neat! When phase 2 hits, is there any chance whatsoever of lowbie chars getting ported over? Maybe one per player?
Characters made on the distant shores server now will be retained when we move to the full engine.

We won't merge the server vaults until the main server migrates, though - so no ability to move characters from the 1.69 server to the EE server until then.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Mithreas wrote: We won't merge the server vaults until the main server migrates, though - so no ability to move characters from the 1.69 server to the EE server until then.
Moving to the full engine = Main server Migrates = 1.69 server characters merge over to the EE.

If the above statement is true.

What is the approximate timeline for this?
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Rivace_Silver wrote:
Mithreas wrote: We won't merge the server vaults until the main server migrates, though - so no ability to move characters from the 1.69 server to the EE server until then.
Moving to the full engine = Main server Migrates = 1.69 server characters merge over to the EE.

If the above statement is true.

What is the approximate timeline for this?
Soon(tm)? :D

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Yes, this isn't something we have any control over. We can't give the EE server full Arelith support until we have the working NWNX conversion from some of the associated Beamdog staff, and we can't think about fully migrating servers until EE is released.

These really are questions for Beamdog, not for us.

Wolfgangvondi

Post by Wolfgangvondi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Hello,

Im sorry if this is not the correct place to report this, but... I can't acess the "new/test"arelith Server - "Arelith EE (distant shores)" - its grey out on the server list and says that my version of the game is different of the one in the server.
I'm running the new Arelith EE .. er, i meant to say... NWN EE ... : P

Any advice would be very welcome. : )

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 pm

You probably have updated EE with newest version and Arelith server is not updated with it yet.

Wolfgangvondi

Post by Wolfgangvondi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:37 pm

Okys, thank you Freyason : )

ExperimentAlpha

Post by ExperimentAlpha » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm

have all of the class paths been implemented successfully?

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 am

Irongron wrote:
DM Always This Late wrote:I believe if I am understanding right, the EE arelith server is not Arelith. Irongron gives some brief background lore in another post and explains that this island may become the go to starting zone for all pcs depending on player influx. The zone is a seperate island from Arelith and players will have the option to sail to Arelith later

This means EE stories should not conflict with the Original setup. They would be hopping off the boat like anyone other new arrivals.
Precisely. The new location is currently landocked by a frozen sea, but is a part of Arelith. You'd just be wating for the sea to clear...

But as I said in the other discussion I am designing this is a low level sever, hopefully this will evolve into a level 1-12 vast shore, where you may never have to repeat a dungeon before you're finally ready to make the big journey to Cordor. It won't be to everyone's tastes, playstyles, but I think will be welcome by many of our players.

When speaking to some Undedark players, or those that choose the Brogendenstein start, one thing they will say is that the Cordor start is far too focused on exposition and heavy RP, and that crucially, given its sheer size and how populated it is, that it can be very hard to find a like minded party for adventuring.

Personally I enjoy the heavy exposition/exploration aspect of the Cordor start, but the starter option will be almost the opposite. The village of Skaljard, plus a host of surrounding and immediate access dungeons, whever everyone you meet would be a viable party member. If players numbers are as good as I hope with EE this is a resource we will badly need,and it will give our exisiting players a fresh new experience to compliment the purchase of the new game.

Edit: Maybe one of our DMs with access to it could post some attractive screenshots of what is already there. It's big, and growing all the time.
Wait so the low levels will be effectively cut off of the high level characters until level 12?

I guess gameplay wise that could be a good thing..but i dont like it RP wise,i for one like to have a low character see how high level characters act,see how strong they are,learn with them,be saved by them,etc.. i think it adds a lot to RP

EDIT:Maybe make it opitional?If someone wants to start on Arelith proper they can just choose it,maybe put a warning when choosing the option like:"If you are a brand new player we strongly dont recommend this option". That way it would make all sorts of players happy
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:10 am

Arelith proper won't exist at all on the module until all of Arelith gets ported over. Until that point the highest level characters will be stuck on that little isle same as the low level characters, so no worries there.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:27 am

Nitro wrote:Arelith proper won't exist at all on the module until all of Arelith gets ported over. Until that point the highest level characters will be stuck on that little isle same as the low level characters, so no worries there.
But isnt that the plan for when it fully gets ported as well? It was what i got from it at least

EDIT:Because if it's a thing that would only happen while full EE isnt out then yeah it's a awesome idea,that way the team could start testing already existing mechanics of the current server on EE and see how they perform to a wider public
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 am

Hi folks, quick update from me here.

Thanks to some help from the lead admin from the server I used to work on before joining Arelith, and some sterling work from the NWNX folks, we should have everything we need technically to port Arelith's full engine across to EE. Unfortunately I've been under the weather this week so not had time to do anything besides my day job, but I have a clear weekend coming up in which to blitz this.

I hope, therefore, that by the end of the weekend we'll have a Phase 2 module up with full engine support to test and see what's broken... and from there, we should be able to work on migrating the full module.

Thanks for bearing with us, looking forward to moving Arelith into the brave new world.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:33 am

Good luck Mith, thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:51 am

Update: we have a running server with the new NWNX image. However, we've hit a couple of snags.

1 - We've realised that a very important NWNX function hasn't yet been ported to EE (namely, persistent object storage). Oops. Sherincall from the NWNX team has volunteered to fix this up, so hopefully we'll have something by the end of the weekend.

2 - The weekly update cycle poses a particular problem for NWNX - because the NWNX team need to rebuild against each version, and we then need to package that into an updated server container. Right now, the latest NWNX build is against 8150, but people updating their clients today will be on 8152.

It won't make sense to move onto Phase 2 until we've solved both the above problems (and any others our testing shows up!). So expect the Phase 1 module to stay up for a while yet.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 pm

It's going to be tricky once people buy the game on steam and are always at the newest version, unable to stop updates.

I don't envy you guys for being willing to update nwnx every time a steam patch hits. It's going to be rough.
\

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Right click game on steam > Properties >betas tab

Select previous version you want to revert back to from the drop-down menu.

Game will stay on that version until you tell it to start auto-updating again.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07 pm

I know how to do that, but keep in mind that ability is not available for all games.

I more worry about the guys that don't know how this works, or update and then can't roll back, or need to install after a bad update. Look how many people still have driver issues?
\

Improv

Post by Improv » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Presumably the updates will slow down greatly once the game is released and it'll be a minor thing to deal with every few months like any other game or application.

If a player can't do weekly updates they probably shouldn't be doing the "head start" thing.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:42 pm

how do we downgrade our version of the game to play on arelith SOS

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 am

Okay - we have Phase 2 running on build 8152 (currently the latest), with NWNX enabled. Still plenty of module configuration work to do, and I'm sure a few nests of bugs I haven't exterminated yet.

Do NOT update your client from build 8152 if you want to keep playing on Arelith for the next while.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 am

8153 was released today and we've upgraded to it (don't expect us to be this fast in future!). So do update to 8153.

As a reminder, player names existing on the current live servers are not usable on Arelith EE, due to the new CD key messing up our CD key checking. We'll sort that out eventually. :)

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:42 am

Direct Connect seems to be broken for me, is anyone else having this issue? I tried both arelith.com:5125 and 138.201.20.77:5125 as the direct connect address

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:11 am

Out of curiosity what is required to upgrade the module to the next patch, what is time consuming for it?

Also out of curiosity, why don't they merge NWNX with the Toolset?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:15 am

At the moment, it's a 3 step process.
- Rebuild NWNX against the new patch - the NWNX team do this.
- Update the container that collects NWNX, NWServer and the necessary runtime dependencies - this is a project run by Glorwinger.
- Deploy the updated container on our server. This is the bit our team does.

Part of the delay is that there's three steps. Part of it is that some NWNX pieces can be fiddly to integrate depending on what has changed. e.g. we seem to have a bad bug in the 8153 integration that we're working on now...

As for merging it with the toolset, Liareth has taken some function that used to be in NWNX and merged it into the base server. More of that may well happen. But that obviously requires server updates, while NWNX can be managed by the community without needing a new server version. So I think there will always be a role for NWNX, even if much of current NWNX function could plausibly be merged into the core game.