Arelith NWN EE Phase 2

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Arelith NWN EE Phase 2

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 am

Phase 2 (as in, within a couple of days from now), we will be launching the Arelith EE module, which is seperated from our current Arelith 1.69 modules, but will be merged to it later. As in, players/characters will be remain.
I ask that you reconsider this, namely the part where characters made there will be kept. This will segregate the Arelith playerbase.

There will be different stories going on in each of the servers and both will be Canon when you merge them in Phase 3.

I am all for an Arelith test module, but I fear in these terms it might have an impact.

Edit: this does not seem to be the case, read below
Last edited by Shadowy Reality on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DM Always This Late

Re: Arelith NWN EE Phase 2

Post by DM Always This Late » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 am

I believe if I am understanding right, the EE arelith server is not Arelith. Irongron gives some brief background lore in another post and explains that this island may become the go to starting zone for all pcs depending on player influx. The zone is a seperate island from Arelith and players will have the option to sail to Arelith later

This means EE stories should not conflict with the Original setup. They would be hopping off the boat like anyone other new arrivals.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 am

I confess I have not read the whole 10 page thread, if that is the case my concerns drastically decrease. I was under the impression it would be an exact (or close) mirror to what Arelith is now, my mistake, it seems.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 am

DM Always This Late wrote:I believe if I am understanding right, the EE arelith server is not Arelith. Irongron gives some brief background lore in another post and explains that this island may become the go to starting zone for all pcs depending on player influx. The zone is a seperate island from Arelith and players will have the option to sail to Arelith later

This means EE stories should not conflict with the Original setup. They would be hopping off the boat like anyone other new arrivals.
Precisely. The new location is currently landocked by a frozen sea, but is a part of Arelith. You'd just be wating for the sea to clear...

But as I said in the other discussion I am designing this is a low level sever, hopefully this will evolve into a level 1-12 vast shore, where you may never have to repeat a dungeon before you're finally ready to make the big journey to Cordor. It won't be to everyone's tastes, playstyles, but I think will be welcome by many of our players.

When speaking to some Undedark players, or those that choose the Brogendenstein start, one thing they will say is that the Cordor start is far too focused on exposition and heavy RP, and that crucially, given its sheer size and how populated it is, that it can be very hard to find a like minded party for adventuring.

Personally I enjoy the heavy exposition/exploration aspect of the Cordor start, but the starter option will be almost the opposite. The village of Skaljard, plus a host of surrounding and immediate access dungeons, whever everyone you meet would be a viable party member. If players numbers are as good as I hope with EE this is a resource we will badly need,and it will give our exisiting players a fresh new experience to compliment the purchase of the new game.

Edit: Maybe one of our DMs with access to it could post some attractive screenshots of what is already there. It's big, and growing all the time.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 am

What races is available at this demon server/which races will be?

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 am

Just gnomes.

EDIT: Okay, figured that might be taken seriously so I'm resisting the urge to compound this by insisting that the new server is the Gnomish Promised Lands we all crave and will give the real answer.

It will be all the normal (non monster races), as an optional starting location. Once merged it is likely that for a few months every year the seas will clear enough for one way travel to Cordor, and access by the PC ships (with a long journey time), and of course I'll be sure to add some secret ways of getting there.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm

You stated Irongron that main servers and modules will updated one by one. How will it work? We will keep playing base NWN as it changes loosing access to updated parts or playing on new one waiting for other locations to be updated?

And the classes and paths will remain same (IE not také from updated game where they did changes?)? The riding will be still developed in manner you implyied?

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:11 am

Irongron wrote:Once merged it is likely that for a few months every year the seas will clear enough for one way travel to Cordor, and access by the PC ships (with a long journey time), and of course I'll be sure to add some secret ways of getting there.
Will, uhh, there be any PC-ownable/rentable ships available in Skalsjard then? Because Steinn Baggesen is totally ready to hire a crew to bring back the RICHES OF ARELITH to his island.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:16 am

EE server is OFFICIALLY coined Arelith Hardmode.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:44 am

Gimme that hardmode yall. But no for real I've got a character worked out and everything.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:34 am

Memelord wrote: Will, uhh, there be any PC-ownable/rentable ships available in Skalsjard then? Because Steinn Baggesen is totally ready to hire a crew to bring back the RICHES OF ARELITH to his island.
I believe the current intention is to avoid ownable property in the new server, to avoid "first mover" advantage where the first people to slap down $20 get their pick of loads of cool stuff. (Can you tell we're not making money out of this? :D).

So when phase 2 begins, we don't expect there to be any ownable quarters, ships, shops etc. Some might get added as we get closer to the merge, but that's not currently the plan.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Worth noting that there are several temp shops in the current build that's online, so its not like you wont have a spot to sell stuff.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:15 pm

This is arelith hardcore mode.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Buuuuuut.... there will be ship raids from Skal on the main Island! "Cordor Rules the Seas"? I think not!

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Ship raids? Ship rats.. Lets goooooo
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

DM Rakshasa

Post by DM Rakshasa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Mithreas wrote:
Memelord wrote: Will, uhh, there be any PC-ownable/rentable ships available in Skalsjard then? Because Steinn Baggesen is totally ready to hire a crew to bring back the RICHES OF ARELITH to his island.
I believe the current intention is to avoid ownable property in the new server, to avoid "first mover" advantage where the first people to slap down $20 get their pick of loads of cool stuff. (Can you tell we're not making money out of this? :D).

So when phase 2 begins, we don't expect there to be any ownable quarters, ships, shops etc. Some might get added as we get closer to the merge, but that's not currently the plan.
There are currently temporary and permanent shops in the Demo Mod.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Improv

Post by Improv » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:32 pm

I'd suggest the information threads be consolidated so it's easy to get the facts... And perhaps endeavor to keep necessary information out of the 18+ page heated discussion?

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Maybe we should stick one in the reference area? Miaou has a good writeup, and I'd be willing to dig through and extract admin/Liareth comments out of the garbage fire thread.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:21 am

DM Rakshasa wrote:
Mithreas wrote:

There are currently temporary and permanent shops in the Demo Mod.
There won't be quarters/ships etc, but I did a few very low-priced shops for those people who wanted to try running a shop at low levels. I fell ill here a few days back and so dropped offline, and thus didn't inform Mithreas of that change.

Though as stated previously once the demo period ends and we launch the EE arelith in earnest then everything will be wiped from that server. Hopefully very soon.

Improv

Post by Improv » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:36 am

Irongron wrote:
DM Always This Late wrote:I believe if I am understanding right, the EE arelith server is not Arelith. Irongron gives some brief background lore in another post and explains that this island may become the go to starting zone for all pcs depending on player influx. The zone is a seperate island from Arelith and players will have the option to sail to Arelith later

Precisely. The new location is currently landocked by a frozen sea, but is a part of Arelith. You'd just be wating for the sea to clear...

But as I said in the other discussion I am designing this is a low level sever, hopefully this will evolve into a level 1-12 vast shore, where you may never have to repeat a dungeon before you're finally ready to make the big journey to Cordor. It won't be to everyone's tastes, playstyles, but I think will be welcome by many of our players.

When speaking to some Undedark players, or those that choose the Brogendenstein start, one thing they will say is that the Cordor start is far too focused on exposition and heavy RP, and that crucially, given its sheer size and how populated it is, that it can be very hard to find a like minded party for adventuring.

Personally I enjoy the heavy exposition/exploration aspect of the Cordor start, but the starter option will be almost the opposite. The village of Skaljard, plus a host of surrounding and immediate access dungeons, whever everyone you meet would be a viable party member. If players numbers are as good as I hope with EE this is a resource we will badly need,and it will give our exisiting players a fresh new experience to compliment the purchase of the new game.

Edit: Maybe one of our DMs with access to it could post some attractive screenshots of what is already there. It's big, and growing all the time.
A couple of questions about this.

Being someone who enjoys low level characters and wouldn't mind a place where getting outed as a shadow mage or banite at level 4 wouldn't make you the enemy of people in their epics.. Would this area, when it is eventually attached to Arelith proper, be visitable by levels 13 and up or will only low levels be allowed?

If it was strictly a lower level affair I might like to linger there and take my time mingling among other low-levels, possibly even having a character stay there permanently without needing to worry about leveling to 30.. Would this be possible/supported/encouraged?

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:44 am

Just thinking of a timeframe here. The test server up and running without wipes in a day or 2 right (this appears on the server list for any new player to join too right ?). The test server has a level range of up to around level 12 ? Characters already get level 3 start, starter/test server not integrated with arelith proper for a suggested 1to 2 months ? Won't new players be getting to level 12 well before the servers are linked and have nowhere to go ? I could have it all wrong with timeframes though ?

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 am

I saw on the EE forums that NWNx shouldn't be ready before Tuesday, so probably somewhere after that.

Edit: how possible is it for us to port level 3 characters over to the EE server 'permanently,' as it were?

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:24 am

Woper_The_Black wrote:Just thinking of a timeframe here. The test server up and running without wipes in a day or 2 right (this appears on the server list for any new player to join too right ?). The test server has a level range of up to around level 12 ? Characters already get level 3 start, starter/test server not integrated with arelith proper for a suggested 1to 2 months ? Won't new players be getting to level 12 well before the servers are linked and have nowhere to go ? I could have it all wrong with timeframes though ?
Characters can continue to level up past 12, the point is that the server is designed for you to reach level 12 without repeating any dungeons.

Characters "waiting" only have a short time to wait (projected!), and you can always make a second character if desired.
Please don't feed my sister.

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Purplemyst » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Will current chars be moved over in phase 2?

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Purplemyst wrote:Will current chars be moved over in phase 2?

it was stated in several places that the current EE arelith server will be wiped and not merged when everything goes live.

That is literally a Beta test server. nothing gets ported over. i could be wrong, but i never read anything about that changing.
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.