Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:44 pm

i asked the bar last night and they said it's a good idea

you heard it here first folks, the bar approves of NWN:EE

Rivace_Silver

Re: Enchanced Edition - Discussion

Post by Rivace_Silver » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:i asked the bar last night and they said it's a good idea

you heard it here first folks, the bar approves of NWN:EE

idk why but i feel bad for not understanding this ..

Whats the bar?
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:57 pm

a place where people get drunk for exorbitant prices

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Nemain wrote:
Morderon wrote:
Xanos950 wrote:It's kind of weird that the system req is now win 7 or higher. I mean, i get it's supposed to more modern but... it's still the same 15 year old game and they did no drastic changes.

So what happens if you try to run it on a let's say vista toaster pc? Won't install despite the old game?
Windows Vista and prior aren't supported by Microsoft. or soon won't be.. even World of Warcraft/Blizzard has been removing support for vista and prior.

Now would it still work if you can find a 64-bit version *shrugs* likely not.

But you can't expect beamdog to support it when even microsoft doesn't .
The thing is, this isn't a brand new NWN 3. It's a patch (albeit far more indepth under the hood) of a game originally designed for those machines, which suddenly makes it no longer compatible with them.
That's the price to pay for modernization. Making modern games compatible with ancient operating systems is just a drain on development resources that could be better spent elsewhere. It's probably possible to make it compatible for older systems, but the cost for doing so likely won't outweigh the handful of users they would get from people on such older systems.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Nemain wrote:Gonna keep on asking in case someone who knows happens to read- at risk of sounding repetitive, it's a literal gateway for me: the pricetag for the game's okay and I can do. A new computer, is not.

Beamdog's page lists a set of requirements, and Steam a completely different one, and this 64 bit compatibility I've seen do in the past at the cost of losing 32 bit: is NWN EE still compatible with 32 bit machines?

use Beamdogs not Steam. 64 bit simply opens up newer machines 32 bit just wont benefit as much from the updates. its not going multi core
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Nemain wrote:
Marsi wrote:
Nemain wrote:Gonna keep on asking in case someone who knows happens to read- at risk of sounding repetitive, it's a literal gateway for me: the pricetag for the game's okay and I can do. A new computer, is not.

Beamdog's page lists a set of requirements, and Steam a completely different one, and this 64 bit compatibility I've seen do in the past at the cost of losing 32 bit: is NWN EE still compatible with 32 bit machines?
The short answer is no.

With emulation/much finagling (qemu?) you can emulate 64-bit. I'd make absolutely sure its your hardware that's 32-bit and not just your OS, because the latter can be replaced.

The former can too, and not quite as expensively as you might think. Used, ex-gov thinkpads go for anywhere from $25 - $150 USD (depends how hard you want to look) and are ironically more sturdy and effective than consumer laptops x10 the price. My x220 (64 bit, i5, 4Gb ram) was like $200 USD and even that I considered overpriced.
I can assure you, if I could afford that money on my PC, I'd have spent it already, instead of gradually migrating to other OS and older games. If for nothing else, then for compatibility with all those neat-looking new games out there.

That is not the case.

NWN is an old game. One whose community's composed of two kinds: those who keep playing it out of nostalgia, and those who simply cannot afford to even try newer games. That's their limit. Both play it, because both love it.

If this update really breaks away with 32 bit PCs.... Then yes: I'm going to have to sink with the boat. Simply because there is no other boat: Beamdog took it. Wish everyone good luck and to have fun.
ok do us a favor, go into your bios and see exactly what cpu you have in your machine. The reason Im saying this is unless your using a toaster pre 2002 your not running 32 bit hardware
Yes I can sign

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Ebonstar wrote: ok do us a favor, go into your bios and see exactly what cpu you have in your machine. The reason Im saying this is unless your using a toaster pre 2002 your not running 32 bit hardware
Pentium 4, 3Ghz. Most it has is hyper-threading, which came before dual core.

Scimiter

Post by Scimiter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Dunshine wrote:There still is a nwn.ini, it's located in your documents/neverwinter nights folder now though, you can edit it and put:

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0
AllowWindowedMode=1
There is it. Thanks Dun

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Nemain wrote:
Ebonstar wrote: ok do us a favor, go into your bios and see exactly what cpu you have in your machine. The reason Im saying this is unless your using a toaster pre 2002 your not running 32 bit hardware
Pentium 4, 3Ghz. Most it has is hyper-threading, which came before dual core.
does it have an f after the 3.0
Yes I can sign

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Um... Dunno about any "F", here's the output from "lscpu" on a console:

Architecture: i686
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 1
Socket(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 15
Model: 2
Model name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Stepping: 9
CPU MHz: 3000.000
CPU max MHz: 3000,0000
CPU min MHz: 375,0000
BogoMIPS: 5985.12

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:55 pm

High Primate wrote:
This is about trusting a company, who is selling a product that is very near identical to existing nwn (the improvements currently being minimal and mostly time-saving, most of which are freely available in the community and bug fixes which are achievable regardless). This is buying a product based on promises.
There is a clear sense in which it is not identical to the original product, in that it is designed to work on modern systems without having to go to great lengths to update it and make it compatible. I would thus not call it redundant.
Modern systems can and do still run NWN.

It's a rarity that you have to go to great lengths to make it compatible.
Tyrantos wrote:Im super happy that they've made the game less hardcoded. Means that custom stuff can be added more easily, without voodoo. Also that you can pick your class in the game, if you got the files for it.. (If its a custom class that is) Will be neato. Actual warlock might come soon then. :)
It doesn't seem to be at all less hardcoded.

RE: Picking custom classes, you could do this pre-ee. In a VERY similar way you will be able to do this with EE. With a hak and an override, placed into appropriate folders. The only thing the EE changes about this, is that you won't need to put an override file into a folder - but you'll still need to place the hak.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Nemain wrote:
Ebonstar wrote:

On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 1
Socket(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 15
Model: 2
Model name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Stepping: 9
CPU MHz: 3000.000
CPU max MHz: 3000,0000
CPU min MHz: 375,0000
BogoMIPS: 5985.12
you do have a toaster, but I wonder what your second cpu is and if you were to change over on the online list to 1,0 where you are now 0.1
Yes I can sign

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm here for the (hopefully!) rush of new players on the server once this goes live.

But the real question...
will there be more clothing options than default NWN?

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Ebonstar wrote:You do have a toaster, but I wonder what your second cpu is and if you were to change over on the online list to 1,0 where you are now 0.1
Far as I know, that's the only CPU in there (yes, I've physically opened the computer), so... Don't really know what the second CPU listed would be.

greatfanfare

Post by greatfanfare » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Nemain wrote:
Ebonstar wrote:

lscpu... so you are using linux.

Try this http://www.tutonics.com/2014/11/how-to- ... is-64.html

The 2nd cpu listed it's because to some OS the Hyper Threading can make it look as if you have a dual core.

The oldest machine that I have at home is an Intel Xeon 3210 2.13 Ghz 4-core, socket LGA 775, the 3 Ghz Pentium 4 models also used that socket.

That machine it's running win7 64 sp1.

A brief search turned up that 4-core Xeon processors from that time are sold at some places for around $20, I don't know where do you live, how easy it's to buy or get it shipped there, etc...

But it seems like a very cheap upgrade to me, if your motherboard supports it.

First make sure which of the 3 ghz Pentium 4 you have, there are a few of them, some support 64 bit: https://ark.intel.com/search?q=Pentium+4+3.00

EDIT: In any case, that they made NWN:EE 64bit compatible doesn't mean that they made it 64 bit EXCLUSIVE.
Last edited by greatfanfare on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Coreybush11 wrote:
But the real question...
will there be more clothing options than default NWN?
I believe there has been some discussion of Beamdog integrating some of the higher quality community-made content into the base game - but I do also know that Scholar Midnight shared a post in Discord a few days back that showed the potential for NWN:EE to allow us to apply colors to each individual body location.

This means you can have pants that're different colors from your shirt without making sure that your shirt uses only Cloth colors and your pants only Leather colors. Which I am excited for.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:39 pm

God is real!

kTravio

Post by kTravio » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Nemain wrote:
Morderon wrote:
Xanos950 wrote:It's kind of weird that the system req is now win 7 or higher. I mean, i get it's supposed to more modern but... it's still the same 15 year old game and they did no drastic changes.

So what happens if you try to run it on a let's say vista toaster pc? Won't install despite the old game?
Windows Vista and prior aren't supported by Microsoft. or soon won't be.. even World of Warcraft/Blizzard has been removing support for vista and prior.

Now would it still work if you can find a 64-bit version *shrugs* likely not.

But you can't expect beamdog to support it when even microsoft doesn't .
The thing is, this isn't a brand new NWN 3. It's a patch (albeit far more indepth under the hood) of a game originally designed for those machines, which suddenly makes it no longer compatible with them.
For the record: I copied the game over to my old Windows XP SP3 (32-bit system and hardware) laptop I kept around from when we were still being forced to ensure compatibility at work. I ran the current head start version without any major problems - albeit with a few graphical hitches (read: low FPS) as the laptop has a pretty terrible graphics setup.

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:47 pm

greatfanfare wrote: lscpu... so you are using linux.

Try this http://www.tutonics.com/2014/11/how-to- ... is-64.html

The 2nd cpu listed it's because to some OS the Hyper Threading can make it look as if you have a dual core.

The oldest machine that I have at home is an Intel Xeon 3210 2.13 Ghz 4-core, socket LGA 775, the 3 Ghz Pentium 4 models also used that socket.

That machine it's running win7 64 sp1.

A brief search turned up that 4-core Xeon processors from that time are sold at some places for around $20, I don't know where do you live, how easy it's to buy or get it shipped there, etc...

But it seems like a very cheap upgrade to me, if your motherboard supports it.

First make sure which of the 3 ghz Pentium 4 you have, there are a few of them, some support 64 bit: https://ark.intel.com/search?q=Pentium+4+3.00
It might be worth checking, thank you. Would be nice to get some more mileage out of this ol' box.
greatfanfare wrote: EDIT: In any case, that they made NWN:EE 64bit compatible doesn't mean that they made it 64 bit EXCLUSIVE.
It's what I've been asking about in this thread. So far, and unless I've missed someone, the answer was that it doesn't work in 32bit.....
kTravio wrote: For the record: I copied the game over to my old Windows XP SP3 (32-bit system and hardware) laptop I kept around from when we were still being forced to ensure compatibility at work. I ran the current head start version without any major problems - albeit with a few graphical hitches (read: low FPS) as the laptop has a pretty terrible graphics setup.
You did? Thank you! A drop in FPS is far from as bad a deal as not working at all. Might still be able to get in on this EE, after all! :shock:

kTravio

Post by kTravio » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Nemain wrote:
kTravio wrote: For the record: I copied the game over to my old Windows XP SP3 (32-bit system and hardware) laptop I kept around from when we were still being forced to ensure compatibility at work. I ran the current head start version without any major problems - albeit with a few graphical hitches (read: low FPS) as the laptop has a pretty terrible graphics setup.
You did? Thank you! A drop in FPS is far from as bad a deal as not working at all. Might still be able to get in on this EE, after all! :shock:
Actually, quick double check of the casing - can't confirm the hardware is specifically 32-bit but I know the system itself is only running the 32-bit XP OS. It's a laptop I've had for around fifteen or so years now and it was second hand then even - only thing I've done to it since then is replace the hard drive and the screen, so it's mostly early 2000s hardware that I kept running for work.

Do keep in mind, as well, I used the current build of the EE client. It's very possible that it's not 64-bit yet (I haven't bothered to check) or that they might not stumble across something/make a decision in the future that requires no 32-bit support at all. I can only report on what is currently there.

On the plus side: the game runs a lot better out of the box for me on my main machine (and the toolset feels much better in how it loads and saves) and I don't have to play in a window to avoid having a migraine from the disco strobe light effect Diamond gives me at Fullscreen.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Screenshot from my computer running it currently.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:58 pm

I posted this on discord, but here are some stats on my GPU. I'm running a 3y old work laptop that is not designed with gaming in mind:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

Also, in terms of CPU, one of the cores is normally maxed, but with NWN:EE, I don't get that.
Last edited by Xerah on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 pm

That looks great!

Edit; and it's clocking itself down too in EE

What a time to be alive.
\

In A Motionless Scene

Post by In A Motionless Scene » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Can we get Arelith on EE sooner please? :[

My NWN has been acting weird the last few weeks. Probably that GPU driver thing.

No chance I'm rolling back / breaking any part of my system.
Ingenting förutom ett kallt hjärta som dunkar fortfarande.
Ingen rörelse.
Inga drömmar.
Inget ljus.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Uh, just as a note, you guys! If you feel passionate about this and like, what you think the EE should have, our very own DM Symphony has made several suggestion threads over on the Beamdog forums. I've seen devs from most of the other prominent PWs posting over in some of the subforums too, so we might be looking at a (eventual) full conversion.

EDIT: Forgot links!
Game Mechanics (spells, feats, combat, classes)
Structural, Hardcoding, Etc
Art and Graphics and such
Misc

Apparently .74 also fixes that cloak and robes issue people were having. Also like, someone please confirm for me that the graphics look better in play than in screenshots. I feel like I'm going nuts.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.