Enchanced Edition - Discussion

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ebonstar

Re: Enchanced Edition - Discussion

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 am

Trent Oster
Trent Oster We’ve got a gamespy replacement. Needs a bit more work, but it will be good.
· Reply ·
· 41 mins
Remove
View more replies

Ricardo Francesco Another version to purchase. Great!
· Reply · 54 mins
Remove
Stephan Allhoff
Stephan Allhoff This is nothing less than truly awesome! Gives me and my persistent world another push! If it runs on mobile that would be the best! Many thanks Trent Oster for still keeping the game alive!
· Reply ·
· 52 mins
Remove
Trent Oster
Trent Oster We’ve been working with some community members for about a year. Persistent world support should be quite strong as we’ve got PW people in the codebase
· Reply ·
· 43 mins

this is taken off the nwn fb page
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:50 am

Josh Barton The one thing I've always wanted was an updated graphics (textures) pack. This comes pretty close! Really amazed by this, I gotta say
· Reply · 33 mins
Remove
Trent Oster
Trent Oster We haven’t done much with the art content, but the graphics engine is now shader based. We’ve added some post process effects which allow control over brightness and saturation and a depth of field effect. We expect to do more in the future
Yes I can sign

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:51 am

One thing to keep in mind, family sharing. It takes about 10 seconds to make a new steam account and re-join anything you're banned from, w/o a new purchase.

Be wary if you intend to implement any system based on steamID's.
\

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:54 am

A new age. I'd be fine even if I can't keep my characters. Think of all the new players!

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:58 am

I'm so excited about this..anyone find an expected release date?
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:04 am

RedGiant wrote:And tell me how this is more exciting than the possibility of the Arelith hak server.
There is a line from the Game Informer article that gives me a lot of hope:
  • Community Endorsed: Original developers have teamed with key members of the Neverwinter Nights community to curate important fan-requested improvements to support players, storytellers, and modders.
What I'm hoping for is that they make it easier than ever for Persistent Worlds such as Arelith to inject custom content into their modules. Imagine for a minute that you join Arelith and all of the custom content is automagically loaded onto your system in the proper folders, thus eliminating any headache of downloading and installing externally. Imagine that they open up more of the code base to modders allowing for more changes that the devs don't currently have access to.

Obviously none of that has been announced, but one can hope right?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:15 am

When they mention the "base game" in addition to the premium modules, I assume that means NWN + SoU and HotU?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 am

The trailer had several sections featuring major scenes from both expansion packs, which leads me to believe that it will on release. That being said, most of the questions that may be asked here are likely to be answered when the countdown is finished.

Done.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 am

Will this be a total wipe of all characters and rewards or can we hope to carry our progress over? Looks very exciting, would love to see new life brought to this game either way.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Frostaspella

Post by Frostaspella » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 am

20 dollars is nothing... I still pay 15.00 each month for World of Warcraft!
Frostaspella (Mage = Free Food and Drinks for all!)

Ski-U-Mah!
Skol Vikings!

#gopherfinalfour2018
#minnesotamarchtothealamo

flower

Post by flower » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:13 am

Would scriopts and other carry over? Or does it mean fresh start for coders and builders? if the latter then i doubt transition would be done within months.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:16 am

All I ask is that people not consider NWN EE to be a must have for Arelith. I doubt very much it will improve the actual gameplay, as previous EE's of other games didn't really do that (it's still the same game).

I don't think anyone can really tell us anything at this point, as there is nothing to tell. We don't know what Beamdog will really do or even if it will ever come to be. Right now it seems more of an idea and planed development. rather than anything concrete.

And asking people to pay $20 is not nothing to many out there. There are lots of games 20 can buy rather than having to buy the same game you already have. I fear that trying to port Arelith to an EE might break it rather than improve it.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 am

Black Wendigo wrote:All I ask is that people not consider NWN EE to be a must have for Arelith. I doubt very much it will improve the actual gameplay, as previous EE's of other games didn't really do that (it's still the same game).

I don't think anyone can really tell us anything at this point, as there is nothing to tell. We don't know what Beamdog will really do or even if it will ever come to be. Right now it seems more of an idea and planed development. rather than anything concrete.

And asking people to pay $20 is not nothing to many out there. There are lots of games 20 can buy rather than having to buy the same game you already have. I fear that trying to port Arelith to an EE might break it rather than improve it.
The gameplay is not the concern, it is the long-term stability of the software which isn't supported anymore. This is huge. At the moment, we have a ship with a few holes in it and every day that passes we get new ones. Eventually, the boat will sink (due to a 15 year old game operating in modern software/hardware)

And, there will be quite a lot to hear from Arelith's own team members who are currently under NDA (it'll be lifted tomorrow when the timer is up; about 14 hours from now).
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:23 am

It's already been confirmed ITT that Arelith is moving to EE.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 am

yeah nah sorry dudes this is HAPPENINGGGGGGGG I CANNOT WAAAAIIIIITTT

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:01 am

All i want to know os if i can still play the game on the old copy of nwn. Or else this 20 dollar invest will mean a new laptop invest for me as well as i doubt they will bring it back to linux.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 am

Xerah wrote:
The gameplay is not the concern, it is the long-term stability of the software which isn't supported anymore. This is huge. At the moment, we have a ship with a few holes in it and every day that passes we get new ones. Eventually, the boat will sink (due to a 15 year old game operating in modern software/hardware)

And, there will be quite a lot to hear from Arelith's own team members who are currently under NDA (it'll be lifted tomorrow when the timer is up; about 14 hours from now).
Yep, I'm guarding my tongue until then, though Xerah has really hit the nail on the head with the above point. Every year it had become more and more difficult to get NWN running on modern machines. Full commercial support for NWN, along with a functioning multiplayer button and a host of new players is really the best thing we could have asked for.

This really is something for us to be genuinely excited about, it IS a new age.

And key, kudos to all of our current players, who had been keeping Arelith steadily growing in popularity even before this news broke. We are in a good place moving forward, most definitely.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 am

I imagine we'll get some gameplan news once the NDA is lifted?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 am

I'm more hung up on if it's going to use CD-Keys or steamids, and how you get one if you lack the other or vice versa.

Or link cd-keys to steam if that's the plan.
\

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 am

Yeah, account/cd-key continuity is a big one for me.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:00 am

Uhm. Okay? I sure hope we don't need to buy this (please-give-us-your-money-for-same-game) re-release, to keep playing on arelith. It looks the exact same.

Also sure hope we keep our characters, otherwise that's a big nope for me to even keep playing.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 am

Xanos950 wrote:Uhm. Okay? I sure hope we don't need to buy this (please-give-us-your-money-for-same-game) re-release, to keep playing on arelith. It looks the exact same.

Also sure hope we keep our characters, otherwise that's a big nope for me to even keep playing.
Yes, it will. Arelith has been the primary PW involved in advising development (with a few major hat-tips to others). Eventually, Arelith will upgrade, and NWN:EE will be mandatory to keep playing. My understanding is that pricing will be very reasonable, especially for existing owners.
confirmed Arelith is moving to EE

Improv

Post by Improv » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:10 am

Ozzy.nl wrote:All i want to know os if i can still play the game on the old copy of nwn. Or else this 20 dollar invest will mean a new laptop invest for me as well as i doubt they will bring it back to linux.
Looks like it will be Windows, Mac and Linux.

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 am

Is there any time expectation as to where this should happen? So people can get ready with their EE copy.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am

Improv wrote:
Ozzy.nl wrote:All i want to know os if i can still play the game on the old copy of nwn. Or else this 20 dollar invest will mean a new laptop invest for me as well as i doubt they will bring it back to linux.
Looks like it will be Windows, Mac and Linux.
If i look at the other stuff its windows mac ios and Android no linux unless they are making it steamplay. That would make every linux user playing nwn happy.