Enchanced Edition - Discussion

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

One Two Three Five

Re: Enchanced Edition - Discussion

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 am

Really hoping we get our characters ported, but if this keeps me from having to fiddle with dumb compatibility settings that work less and less every few months, I'm real hype. Hopefully it's got better hak support for when Arelith makes that jump, too.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:36 am

I can't imagine not porting characters/setting/factions 1:1

I do not think that's an option.
\

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 am

can just roll all your toons in nwn and spend the rewards at the EE. (joke)

Improv

Post by Improv » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am

https://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/g5a13 ... ed-for-PC/

This and other articles quoting the press release say PC, Mac and Linux.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

Ebonstar wrote: We’ve got a gamespy replacement. Needs a bit more work, but it will be good.
Yes.
20 RPR GANG

malice

Post by malice » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 am

Anyway anyone already figured out how to preorder? I can't see that choice on Beamdog webpage...

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 am

I wasn't too pleased with the news at first, but seeing that Beamdog has apparently sought out the NWN community and promised backwards compatibility (and a Linux release fuarrr) I'm excite now. I'm not too worried about how Arelith will be ported, I have faith the Devs will handle that swimmingly, and besides, all the stuff that isn't on DB's can likely be manually brought over after a couple days.

The only real anxiety about this for me is how the community is going to inevitably change. Revitalized interest means thousands of new players. This will affect the cohesion and culture of this server and others. How many players can a server like Arelith consistently handle before it's too much? I don't just mean hitting the pop cap. Many of the bigger changes in the last couple years have been consolidating space. Now, it seems like we'll need it all back (and then some).

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 am

Lol if that is true i vote for the return of wharftown... Lightkeep... And stonehold hail to the new golden age. 8-)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 am

Uhm. Okay? I sure hope we don't need to buy this (please-give-us-your-money-for-same-game) re-release, to keep playing on arelith. It looks the exact same.
It's the same stuff, but upscaled to modern resolution (With a shader based engine at that, modders can make some purdy stuff with that) And without any of the rigamaroles required to make NWN run nowadays. No master server workarounds, no killing your PC because you forgot to turn off shiny water, no crashing once every 3rd launches, no needing to constantly worry about new driver settings breaking your ability to play the game.

It also opens up many possibilities with ease of use. Modding has always been a strong core of NWN, so Steam Workshop integration isn't a longshot. An actual working server browser alone will go miles towards promoting Arelith to new players (Who won't have to jump through the hoops to play on the server we currently have).

Beneidalus

Post by Beneidalus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 am

If nothing else, the sheer potential for new people will make this worth while. That's the one thing that Arelith has always lacked, I felt. Just not enough people to really make it feel alive and bustling.

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am

Marsi wrote: The only real anxiety about this for me is how the community is going to inevitably change. Revitalized interest means thousands of new players. This will affect the cohesion and culture of this server and others.
That's a good point. Now and before, new players have had to adapt themselves to the server's culture. But when the veteran players become the minority, if/when hundreds of new players pour in, the server's culture could drastically change. Keeping the RP quality high will be real challenge if older players are outnumbered 5:1.

Beneidalus

Post by Beneidalus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 am

Sounds like weak talk. Challenge accepted. Not that many 'high quality RPers' anyways :^)

flower

Post by flower » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:02 pm

The game is not even out and you already debate hundreds of new players...

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 pm

flower wrote:The game is not even out and you already debate hundreds of new players...
It was free on GOG for a couple of days and that was enough exposure to permanently inflate the server pop. The other Beamdog EE games were big deals. This is gonna be on steam. Its gonna be yuge.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Plz add auto hak/tlk downloader on Server Browser gamespy replacement so we can finally send that zombie horse down the river Styx
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 pm

I don't suspect server culture would change (tooo much) even with a larger influx of players. Perhaps Arelith would have to undergo some different changes here and there to more easily adapt a larger population but i'll leave that to the Devs

Just means like double the work for DM police to keep everything in order.

Wee woo wee woo wee woo

Besides that lots of cool new people to make and fresh faces!
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Beneidalus wrote:Sounds like weak talk. Challenge accepted. Not that many 'high quality RPers' anyways :^)
Plenty of massively good roleplayers around Arelith. Over-all, I would say the percentage of "high quality roleplayers" on Arelith specifically is a lot higher than large volume communities Ive dealt with.

As for the talk of thousands of players and a revitalization? Yeah, we've all considered it since the announcement, but don't get your hopes so high or be certain in the slightest. Who's even going to hear about this besides us?

Don't get me wrong, I'm buying it.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Being published on Steam, and likely becoming one of the go-to's for immersive RP, I'd expect a significant amount of new players. Not to mention it will get a server list, and publication on Steam, it will be easy to get.
:)

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Please rewrite server client to take advantage of multiple CPU Cores.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:Please rewrite server client to take advantage of multiple CPU Cores.
My laptop would thank you so much!
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Punished Hans

Post by Punished Hans » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:58 pm

proper windowed mode, pls and thank

make that win-.. windowed fullscreen, actually

please
Last edited by Punished Hans on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Punished Hans wrote:proper windowed mode, pls and thank
ngl that's what i was harping on last night

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Don't forget, more players means the opportunity for more DMs, eventually. (I assume a reasonable amount of them will be intelligent and mature.)
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:I'm more hung up on if it's going to use CD-Keys or steamids, and how you get one if you lack the other or vice versa.

Or link cd-keys to steam if that's the plan.

It can't really use steam ids for 2 reasons:

1) Backwards compatibility has already been rumored with modules and modules can use PUBLIC cd keys for scripting.

2) GOG (among other sellers) will very likely offer the game; so if it used steam ID exclusively.. then what would non-steam sources use?

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 pm

A bit of math that turns a steam id into a cd-key the EE would accept is all they would have to do.
\