Enchanced Edition - Discussion

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Memelord

Re: Enchanced Edition - Discussion

Post by Memelord » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:20 am

Wytchee wrote:
Baron Saturday wrote:Here's where I disagree with you, giles: It is optional. Beamdog is not forcing the server to convert to NWN EE. The admin team has chosen to make the switch, because they believe that the benefits are worth asking their players to pay $20.

Given that this same admin team has asked remarkably little of us over the years, and that they themselves are not receiving the money, I think I trust their judgement that this switch is worthwhile. I don't believe that they would ask players to do this, otherwise.

You're totally right about Beamdog's balance changes, though, some of those are absolutely idiotic. My own biggest concern is that we find ourselves constantly at the mercy of similarly ignorant "updates".

A question for the admin/dev team: Will it be more difficult to produce new content (and maintain our own idea of what mechanical balance should be) if Beamdog is constantly fiddling with the base game?

And RG, I really doubt that the Dragonshape change is going away.
Which balance changes in particular are "idiotic?"
Smacking assassins with the nerfstick was a bit unnecessary.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:21 am

Minor ones like the assassin death attack triggering once. Might not be a big deal on Arelith, but consider L40 servers.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:27 am

One Two Three Five wrote:Surely this isn't the only game you people play.
[sarcasm]
WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU PEOPLE?!?!!!!!!
*triggered*
[/sarcasm]

flower

Post by flower » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 am

I believe that class changes are irrelevant for arelith?

I just hope for only one (well two) things.

1) no need to downgrade graphic drivers down because new version does not support NWN (and WIn10 keeps updating them)
2) more character (dress like) customization offers availeble IG without haks?

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:31 am

Surely some of you remember back when this game was actually updated? I miss those times. We had a server browser! And tech support!

Also, man, what an amazing long con that would be, right? First you volunteer to run a niche roleplaying community server for a game released in 2002, before some of the playerbase was born. Then, you volunteer to help get that game in working form for modern computers again. You set up a server on this new version, using your free time.

In secret, you get a .0005% comission, less development costs, for every copy of the game sold. And you just wait for the nickels to roll in. Rubes, all of them.

In less bad-faith-argumentative-trolling news, it is legitimately neat to see an active NWN forum that isn't dedicated to a specific server again. Gonna go suggest seven different kinds of base class warlocks, I think.
+1
\

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:41 am

will the ability to move old characters over to EE be something that have a time limit on it?
or can you say.. have your nwn characters exported 2 years after EE is out and running.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:43 am

Seekeepeek wrote:will the ability to move old characters over to EE be something that have a time limit on it?
or can you say.. have your nwn characters exported 2 years after EE is out and running.

I udnerstand it in a way once servers merge your character becomes EE.

Improv

Post by Improv » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:47 am

Ork wrote:Minor ones like the assassin death attack triggering once. Might not be a big deal on Arelith, but consider L40 servers.
Maybe a change like that will lead to an Arelith specific overhaul of the Assassin class, which was kind of needed anyway? I don't think every change the EE makes for vanilla NWN is going to show up here as-is.

JediZero

Post by JediZero » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:53 am

So will we have to buy a new version of NWN to still play on Arelith?

Rivace_Silver

Post by Rivace_Silver » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 am

Maladus wrote:
[sarcasm]
WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU PEOPLE?!?!!!!!!
*triggered*
[/sarcasm]
Oh? Theres a "them" now? ...
-That one time that Stath did that one thing and it was funny...

-We cannot all be the hero, some have to be the normal folk who make others heros..

- we are all the protagonist of our own stories.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 am

JediZero wrote:So will we have to buy a new version of NWN to still play on Arelith?
20 dollars to get the EE with all the bells and whistles
Yes I can sign

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 am

Nine pages in and no one's made a joke using the word Newverwinter Nights. Guys come on

Also, more details on the EE server forthcoming, or is it a 'load it up yourself and find out' sort of scenario?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:17 am

One Two Three Five wrote:Or are you just being an edgy killjoy because it's the contrarian/cj response?
nice

angry nerd edit, because I really am unironically mad susitsu:
I mean, okay, I guess my only real distaste is just a moronic contrarianism for the sake of it, and surely can't come from a disagreement with their business practices or anything... of which the only refutations I've heard is that it makes it easier on the admins -- which is nice, and I respect that, but if that's an actual issue (I always assumed the server was rather well off, if the amount of orange names is anything to go by. Should I think otherwise?) I'd rather donate to the admins themselves than a faceless company.

Better is the "haha, is this the only game you have?" Yeah, sorry for like, daring to have an opinion that isn't identical to yours I guess. I can just go back to lowercase trolling and elf-sexy elven fun times-memes if you'd rather? (not really)

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:31 am

gilescorey wrote:
One Two Three Five wrote:Or are you just being an edgy killjoy because it's the contrarian/cj response?
nice

I mean, okay, I guess my only real distaste is just a moronic contrarianism for the sake of it, and surely can't come from a disagreement with their business practices or anything... of which the only refutations I've heard is that it makes it easier on the admins -- which is nice, and I respect that, but if that's an actual issue (I always assumed the server was rather well off, if the amount of orange names is anything to go by. Should I think otherwise?) I'd rather donate to the admins themselves than a faceless company.

Better is the "haha, is this the only game you have?" Yeah, sorry for like, daring to have an opinion that isn't identical to yours I guess. I can just go back to lowercase trolling and elf-sexy elven fun times-memes if you'd rather? (not really)

lowercase isn't trolling?
from my time back on the server ive quickly understand it is an elevated intellectual way of typing in game.

you see without the 5 milliseconds it takes to press shift, i can type more.

type more = more role-play

more role-play = more rpr.
Last edited by Barradoor on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:31 am

gilescorey wrote:
nice

do you just want me to give you 20 bucks when the EE switch is mandatory?
\

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am

I don't think it's ever been an issue of the server being well off, but rather that this may open up a lot of new possibilities for the devs to do things that they may have wanted to do but couldn't for various reasons related tot he game being stuck in 2002. It will also greatly improve the stability and performance of the servers, which I'm all for.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 am

BegoneThoth wrote:do you just want me to give you 20 bucks when the EE switch is mandatory?
no, that's silly

even if it's your 20$ on my behalf, beamdog is still getting 20$

i'd be a hypocrite, and not only that.................... i'd be rly dumb(er)

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:36 am

what if i donated for you instead?

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 am

I am so happy and excited.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:48 am

in the bug fixes screenshot it say something about rogues can sneak attack people that don't have uncanny dodge 2 or something. i wonder if that mean a rogue don't have to catch say a fighter flat footed or by surprise to get sneak attacks.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am

Just went on steam and set it on my list :D

Now i finaly know why i have steam 8-)
And yay for steam giving us the linux version as instal.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:00 am

Irongron wrote:

"As far as migration to EE is concerned, we will only do this when we are confident that we are ready to do so, and that as many of our existing players as possible have had the opportunity to purchase the game."

I am probably one of the very few technical analphabetes on the server, so please forgive me.

I hope that someone can explain what to do, step by step, for dummies, in a language and with words I can understand. I really dont need a lot of explanations, just: Do this, then do that, click here, aso.

There, I said it ...

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:00 am

@seekeepeek
No, they still have to meet the criteria for a sneak attack. It's a reference to Improved Uncanny Dodge, which gives immunity to flanking in certain circumstances. That feat wasn't in NWN, though, so it's a bit puzzling.

@cj
It isn't breaking news that a company is producing a product for money, nor is it remotely unprecedented for one of these DnD games to get an enhanced edition. If you're gonna be mad at anyone, I guess you can be mad at our devs (who, as far as we know, don't stand to profit from the decision) for deciding to adopt it, but please try to express your opinions in a way that differentiates it in tone from your aforementioned lowercase trolling.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 am

How is anything (beyond my very first post, notice that I have made others) that I've said not different in tone?

Nice condescension by the way, yeah I had no idea companies sell things for money, thanks a lot.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 am

Btw i are my eyes lieing to me... The preorder costs 40 bucks instead of 20 they realy wanna charge that much?

Edit i am idiot... Did not see it was a digital delux version... NVM
Last edited by Ozzy.nl on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.