Technical Assistance Please

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

MowerQueen

Technical Assistance Please

Post by MowerQueen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:08 am

Hey...I'm hoping someone with more computer savvy can help me here.

I am trying to play this game for the first time on this laptop. Shiny water is off, I'm in compatibility mode for graphics, I've set my CPU affinity to 1 (though I don't even know if I have a dual core processor but I was trying everything to fix this) ... Everything runs smoothly until the server finishes loading. Then I am immediately struck with unplayable lag - like 0.5-1 fps. When I exit the server the game seems to remain slow to respond as if it's now clogged up or something.

My internet connection isn't rockstar but it isn't bad. No other program causes a problem like this. Weird thing is it doesn't even sound like my computer is being overworked (you know that creaking noise and the fan kicking on, does not happen). But the fact that it persists after disconnecting from Arelith until I restart the game makes me thing it's probably not my internet?

I don't even know what else to check. My computer isn't an awesome gaming computer but it's freaking NWN so.....idk. I would be grateful for any ideas.

Baron Saturday

Re: Technical Assistance Please

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 am

What driver are you using for your graphics?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 am

Something you can try is turning all settings to the lowest they can go in the ingame setting menu before you even connect to the server. I used to have an issue where my graphics would flip out in certain areas (One was the bramble woods) and I could not reconnect and get out of the area without first lowering all my graphic settings. Moved out of the area upseting my computer, then put them all back to my normal settings.

If that does not work, there has been issues with nvidia drivers should you have the latest ones. The last ones to work well with NWN are from May, so another option to try.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:04 am

Windows 10? Might be this: viewtopic.php?p=91377#p91377

I have to consistently uninstall two security updates.

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:35 pm

My gf had the same exact problem on her laptop. Our fix for it was getting a different computer. >.>
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

Dovesong

Post by Dovesong » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:What driver are you using for your graphics?
This. Nvidia's September update made my comp almost unplayable because of lag. I rolled it back to May and it was fine.
In'iira - Woman of Many Talents.

Lily-Rose - Daughter of the storm

MowerQueen

Post by MowerQueen » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Update!

Thank you all for the help. Shortly after posting this I was asked to return my laptop to my company and so I bought a new one - apparently a much better one since the server now runs smooth as butter. Guess I'll never know what was wrong.

I am having one small issue now which is that my shift and control action bars (the secondary ones) don't work. I can put things into the quickslots but then if I try to click them the thing does not happen. The main action bar still works as normal though.

Has anyone experienced this?

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:16 am

Have you installed the 1.69 critical rebuild patch?
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:57 pm

is critical rebuild needed??

i thought EE itself was just one big critical rebuild
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:54 pm

frightnight wrote:is critical rebuild needed??

i thought EE itself was just one big critical rebuild
For EE it's not needed (or even available). This topic, presumably, is about the old NWN, not the remaster.

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:15 pm

ahh thanks
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

MowerQueen

Post by MowerQueen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:53 am

I have installed the critical rebuild already, yes. This is also the GOG version if that helps. It doesn't appear to be an issue with my actual keyboard or any of its software or anything, when I hit shift or control I do SEE the new action bar it's just that if I click it or press the f-buttons nothing happens. I am hoping it's something inside the game files that can be fixed without a re-install :/