Amazon LOTR

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Chucky1234

Re: Amazon LOTR

Post by Chucky1234 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:20 am

This could spice things up a little although I'm not sure how much Gandalf appears in all the prequels.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/lord-of- ... ngs-series

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Wytchee wrote:
Undulat wrote:"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly. "The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."

"They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully. "And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film."
Well that's just, like, his opinion, man.

The books still exist. They didn't all shrivel up and blow away in the wind when PJ's Fellowship came out in theaters. The Hobbit movies were terrible, and there's a mountain I can make out of criticisms I have for the LotR film trilogy, but this is just plain silly hyperbole on the part of CT.
I appreciate your optimism.

Risking pitchforks here, but I like the movies much better than the books.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm

If Valor Were Inches wrote:
I appreciate your optimism.

Risking pitchforks here, but I like the movies much better than the books.
As a book-lover... I actually completely agree with you. Tolkien's books are remarkable for the depth of the world they create, but they spend so much time on world building that the pacing suffers.

The movies tell the story much more clearly, even if I will never fully forgive the omission of Tom Bombadil and the barrow wights.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:13 pm

I just had this vision of Gandalf going through different physical incarnations throughout his time on Middle-earth similar to The Doctor lmao

Chucky1234

Post by Chucky1234 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:43 pm

https://www.nme.com/blogs/tv-blogs/lord ... st-2170413

Looks like their might be some interesting inspiration for any budding Broggers (if that isn't what we already call them then it needs to start soon) and any ranger types.

Disappointing that 2021 is the projected release date....but I'm sure we'll survive!

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:07 pm

I have to confess I preferred the original LotR film to Peter Jackson's.

My expectations are low.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

Chucky1234

Post by Chucky1234 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:12 pm

You mean the cartoon version from the 70s?

I must say the Peter Jackson films (not including the Hobbit catastrophe) have aged really well.

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:36 pm

I don't really like the books or the films, but I'm holding out hope that this might finally be the LOTR thing I can actually get into.

Chucky1234

Post by Chucky1234 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm guessing they're trying to release something as popular as game of thrones and with a $1 billion budget they may just be able to.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 am

The longer this goes on and I meditate on this thread, the more I feel a sense of deja vu. As in...

Dune (1984) then Dune (TV Mini-Series 2000).

The movie...a visionary side step that split fans. The series...a somewhat faithful series that pleased someone...yet somehow didn't seem as fresh.

..."feels like I been here before...feels like I been here before..."
-Iron Maiden
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:35 am

Chucky1234 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:12 pm
You mean the cartoon version from the 70s?
Yes, I did.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:10 am

The article states the intent by Amazon Studios is to create something to rival Game of Thrones... and the production values of Game of Thrones has redefined the level of quality of production standards pretty darn well. I am reserving any and all judgments until I find out who the executive producers are (plural) and who wins the VFX bids. Once I learn the names of the VFX Houses working on it series, we'll have a better idea of what sort of budget they will be working on, and what sort of production value we will expect to see.

The other thing to remember is that Amazon Original Programming doesn't mean Amazon produced/created that programming. Most of the time, Amazon Original Programmings are movies and programs that they purchase pretty much already made, or the concept is already fleshed out, episode or content-wise and they just green-light it to start production. So don't judge Amazon Studios "Original Content" based on their current library offerings. Amazon has been a distribution network who buys content, not produces it, and if they commit to the right people and the right budget (Amazon has $$$!!!) then this will be great!

This is a wholly conceptual project which hasn't had one single episode treatment created yet. Lots of questions still. -where will they shoot? Will they rely heavily on green screen/matte paintings or will they go on location?

One good indication is that the Tolkein estate has given their full co-operation. This is a good sign.

Remember, back in 1972 when George Lucas started on his Science Fiction Film that ended up becoming "Star Wars," he had really good people around him to bounce ideas off of, which is why "New Hope" and "Empire" really kick Snuggybear... but by the time we got into the Prequel films, Lucas was surrounded by people who didn't have the Pufferfish to tell him to his face that his script needed more refining BEFORE they started production... and BAM! you get Jar Jar Binks.

((Btw... if you haven't watched "How Star Wars Was Saved In The Edit" on YouTube, you really need to!))

The concept of LotR as an extended multi-episode high-end Television Program that rivals Game of Thrones production values is an amazingly AWESOME concept, and something we all should be super pumped and hopeful about. Look at THE HOBBIT films. That's one small book that was translated into THREE films at 3.5 Hours apiece! translate that into TELEVISION and you have 52 minute episodes... The HOBBIT suddenly becomes ONE ENTIRE SEASON of television... JUST the HOBBIT. And they are talking about multi-season commitment, which means shooting a multi-season episodic television ALL AT THE SAME TIME!! -thats totally wicked. With all the Film History classes I've had in my life and all the damnable paper's I've had to write on film and VFX history, this is an amazing undertaking. Truly epic!

But before any judgments are made, we need to find out who's going to work on it. -maybe it will be Method Studios, ILM and Bad Robot!!! That would totally rock your world!

These episodes will be stories using already fleshed out content in Tolkein's writings. This isn't Disney's "Some corner of a galaxy far far away you never heard about."

It's still early, but there's a lot here to be hopeful for. Really!
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen