Time Line of Arelith

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Frostaspella

Time Line of Arelith

Post by Frostaspella » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 pm

I would like to know what time period is Arelith in compared to the real word. Early Ages, Dark Ages, Renaissance period or some other period?
Frostaspella (Mage = Free Food and Drinks for all!)

Ski-U-Mah!
Skol Vikings!

#gopherfinalfour2018
#minnesotamarchtothealamo

Zavandar

Re: Time Line of Arelith

Post by Zavandar » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Yes.
Intelligence is too important

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:18 pm

I would say between the Dark Ages and the Renaissance really.

Frostaspella

Post by Frostaspella » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Ok ill go with the Renaissance. Thanks!

Ski-U-Mah!
Skol Vikings!

#gopherfinalfour2018

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. The problem with Arelith/Forgotten Realms is that that only applies in some places. Some places are backwards 'Medieval' places, but others that even seem that way generally aren't-
Cormyr reads like a French/English medieval kingdom, but they've got magical secret police, for instance. Gond (and Lantan by extension) is doing their very best to push FR into an industrial revolution (this in a setting that already has sentient automatons).

And of course, the phrase 'medieval' doesn't really apply to the parts of the setting that aren't based on medieval Europe anyway- Large portions of FR randomly vacillate between juuuust pre-industrial revolution to Imperial Japan to 'Lantan's making portals that don't require magic.' And that's saying nothing about the fact that large segments of Forgotten Realms use social standards and the like that are more readily identified with the 'modern' world (women rulers are rarely frowned upon, and sexism/non-species-based discrimination is essentially non-existent in most non-evil places for a variety of reasons, including the alignment system, gods, sorcerous bloodlines, and the fact that anyone can be an adventurer. Much as I get annoyed with Ed Greenwood, there's some statements about the Realms being more 'inclusive' than a medieval setting would suggest to some people.)

Arelith's in an even weirder spot, because you get characters from all over, and doing all sorts of things- There have been a couple of AIs made, GENESIS being the one I remember best, a lot of golemancers that may as well have been roboticists (I think Terry's still running around?), Cordor's a couple years out from essentially being a modern-ish democracy before the King showed up again, etc etc.

Best European era I can possibly think of is somewhere between Victorian/Pre-Industrial Rev to Renaissance, but with disclaimers on any that this somehow includes mithril robots, flying machines, spaceships if you include Spelljammer (one of which at least has shown up on Arelith), and enough magic to essentially act as technology anyway.

So, like... Ever played Morrowind? How it's this allegedly 'past-based' fantasy setting but there's dwemer robots all over the place? Closer to that than anything in the real world.

EDIT: Oh, and guns. Like, powerful, allegedly single-shot, fairly easy to mass produce guns that have been around for something like 50+ years on Arelith. So there's that. Armor and weaponry is just a mess, too. ANd, look, someone's going to say, 'oh they're based on medieval handcannons' but given how long we had a Lord Vetinari, nothing short of irrefutable proof (read: statement from Mith does not count) will prove to me they aren't based on the semi-sentient 'basically a rifle' from Discworld.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Frostaspella

Post by Frostaspella » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:36 pm

So let's just say, if someone decided to create a 5 member Rock group (Troup) and the RP that comes with that. It would be ok to do with-in the settings of Arelith?

Ski-U-Mah!
Skol Vikings!

#gopherfinalfour2018

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

I once played a bard who claimed to have been a member of a band called Kobold and Cambion. No one said anything. There's been much, much weirder. I guess the phrase 'rock' would be strange, but, uhhh.

I mean I've definitely seen someone perform a Taylor Swift song IG before so, as long as you're clever about it?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Bonus points if the entire band is ogres.

Literally smashing rocks together. Lead singer does an Ozzy impersonation, basically unintelligible. They adventure together to find rocks that make different kinds of sounds.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Post-post-post-post-post modern
20 RPR GANG

Frostaspella

Post by Frostaspella » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:Bonus points if the entire band is ogres.

Literally smashing rocks together. Lead singer does an Ozzy impersonation, basically unintelligible. They adventure together to find rocks that make different kinds of sounds.
It's kind of funny you mention that because I was thinking of the same thing!

Ski-U-Mah!
Skol Vikings!

#gopherfinalfour2018

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 pm

You can even call it rock band and if someone asks why, tell them the nobles of the lands threw rocks at the filthy teenagers who invented this style.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:58 pm

1200BC, to, I would argue, 1914 (the end of the Victorian Era). As 12345678 said, it's not universal to all areas of Arelith, but as long as you avoid 20th century, I think you're fine.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Illithids are pure sci-fi.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:22 pm

I always forget about illithid space ships. And whenever someone reminds me, I hit the hard liquor until I forget again.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

malice

Post by malice » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 pm

I played a bard who parodied pop songs all the time.
One of the items currently in my IG shop is an homage the NPC Elfis, who used to be in world for a long time.
Some people will laugh, some will love it, some others will strike you with so much caustic words that will make you doubt is worth it (I think I was told "people like you are a cancer to Arelith rp").
I say, do what's fun for you, ignore haters and when in doubt PM a DM here and ask for guidance.
Rock on!

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:43 am

It's not a single thing you listed. It's a fantasy setting.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:33 am

Yeah illithid are literally space aliens from a dead future (but nobody knows), multiple spaceships have landed on Arelith over the years, guns are everywhere, there's an automated workshop that churns out robots with rifles on the server, printing presses are easily accessed (this one's particularly key)...

Basically, our setting can be safely labelled somewhere between the eras of Internally Inconsistent and Incongruous.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)