Brain picking time! Offensive language.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Seven Sons of Sin

Re: Brain picking time! Offensive language.

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Horseplougher. Bootlicker. Craven, cur, coward. Pigstuffer.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Pakito

Post by Pakito » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Take inspiration from the Witcher games!

Whoreson
Ploughin'
Poppycock
Spit (Example: "What the spit are you talking about?")
Piss (Example: "Call me that one more time, and I'll chop off your head, stick it on a pike, and piss down your neckhole!")
Gob (not really a cuss word, but you could use it to insult. "I'll punch yer gob if ye don't shut yer filthy mouth!")
Mug (using this to insult someone's face. "By the gods! Your mug is uglier than me great-great-grandmother in her rotten grave!")

There's a bunch of others that I can't quite think of. But if you want to get inspired, play the games! Be prepared for some offensive cuss words though.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Careful with piss, it falls into the "use sparingly" category. I haven't played the Witcher, but it's on the list.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Honestly.. And I am being brutally honest here..

Just imagine that you are stood in the middle of a Nursery or Primary School filled with babies and very young children and then think to yourself.. If I said this, would I be glared at by parents.

If you think that you will, then you shouldn't use it freely or even at all. Things such as Piss and Shit most certainly fall into that catagory. Words such as Bugger.. Bloody.. Sod.. Have became somewhat less of a taboo in recent times, used in the correct way with good dialect to support them, they can have a kick.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Whilst I get what you mean Cookiemonster, and I generally agree it's far better to play 'better safe than sorry' I would say that the server is PG13 rated, not U rated. You can get away with a little more than you would for a nursary. Still, the spirit of the matter is correct.

As another aside- one interesting point, just from a linguistic perspective, is that different swear words have different ratings dependent on where you from.

In the UK 'piss' is definatly a swear word, and a relitivly severe one too. But then again in Arelith we have the Half-Pissed-Pint as a tavern! So I'm really not sure where the ratings lie on that one.

To further illustrate: I once knew a halfling who would use the word 'fanny' occasionaly (as in 'they're sitting on their fanny, doing nothing.') which in America is fine - fanny is synonimous with 'bum.' But in britain, or at least where I'm from in the UK, Fanny is slang for 'female genetailia' so though it was quite innocent, it made me wince every time I saw it.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:11 pm

"U rated?"
\

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:36 pm

The U rating is what Americans would call a G rating.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Plumsack.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:13 pm

kittenblackfriends wrote:Borrowing this list from my old server:

General exclamations
"By the hells!"
"Hellfire!"
"By the fiery gates of Gehenna!"
"Gods above 'n' fiends below!"
"Shyte!" [Generally seen as a better variant of "****"]
"Damn / Damnation!"
"Dark" or "Dark and empty" [roughly equivalent to "crap"; prevalent in Sembia]
"Dented shields and broken swords!" [curse, esp. used by warriors and military folk]

Personal abuse - men
"Whoreson" [questions someone's parentage, but a general term of abuse]
"Knave"
"Orcwit" [fool, idiot]
"Orcsnack" [a green recruit]
"Badblood" [a troublemaker]
"Troll dung" [abusive, esp. used by dwarves]

Personal abuse - women
"She-goat"
"Harpy"
"Harlot"

Divine oaths
"(by) Auril's kiss!" [A sudden realization of something terrible; a cold slap in the face.]
"(by) Bane's Black Blood."
"(by) Beshaba's (bad) breath!" [normally used to indicate bad luck, or to curse an unfortunate event]
"By the combined crotches of all Beshaba's chosen!"
"(by) Clangeddin's stones!"
"Cyric's Sword!" [Curse and double entendre. It is generally frowned upon and considered bad luck to mention the Dark Sun's name.]
"Gond's Gears!" [A curse, something unnecessarily complicated and unlikely to work.]
"(by) Hanali"s Golden Heart!" [polite exclamation, used esp. by elven nobles]
"Helm's Haemorrhoids!" [Irreverent, to deride a necessary but unappealling task.]
"Ilmater's patience!" [When someone is timewasting, also "You'd try the patience of Ilmater himself!"]
"By the (Crying) God's Tears!" [Polite exclamation; Ilmateri normally omit "Crying"]
"By the light of Lathander." [Normally a blessing, but also an exclamation.]
"By the last sunrise!" [Oath used by priests of Lathander, the Morninglord.]
"Leira's Lamentation(s)." [Something that is not what it seems, particularly feigned grief. A double entendre when spoken because Lliira (Our Lady of Joy) is pronounced the same way as Leira (Lady of the Mists).]
"Loviatar's Caress." [Something that hurts, also "Loviatar's Lash", for those less given to subtlety.]
"(by) Moradin's hairy pair!"
"Mystra's Miracles!" [An exclamation of surprise, as when something happens by unexpected magic.]
"May the Wandering God's heel tread lightly on you."
"(by the) clanging stones of the Wanderer!" [i.e. Shaundakul]
"By the Six rods of Shakazakh"
"Great Stinking Pufferfish of Tempus!" [A battle cry]
"Talos' teeth!"

Regional oaths (alphabetically)
[Cormyr] "Keep your Peace Knot tied." [i.e. calm down]
[Cormyr] "A hero must move."
[Cormyr] "(you've) the reach of Gondegal!" [said to someone attempting something they cannot hope to achieve. Derived from the saying "Gondegal's reach was longer than his blade", of the Lost King's brief rule over Arabel.]
[the Dales, Western Heartlands] "In the East, perhaps!" [untrue, absurd, as of a fanciful story or unlikely tale.]
[the Dales] "Mind the barn when it"s full, not empty. " [i.e. don"t waste time on something that doesn"t need done.]
[the Dales] "Zhent deal" [a double-cross.]
[Mulmaster] "Fear and loyalty are the same word."
[Thay] "Tamm's cold hands!"
[The North] "Klauth", ["vicious", as in "Don't go near him early of mornings; he's apt to be a right Klauth until he's had a mug or two." or: "Blood and bodies everywhere...it looked as though old Klauth himself had come calling!" or the shorter variant: "Regular Klauth work!", used to describe butchery. These all derive from the nasty brutality of the great red wyrm Klauth.]
[Zhentil Keep] "Rewarded like Zhentar." ["Betrayed."]
[Zhentil Keep] "For god, keep and master." [Traditional salute of the Zhentarim. The keep refers to Zhentil Keep, "master" to whoever is its leader, be it Fzoul or Manshoon, and 'god" to Bane or Cyric.]

Planar oaths
See this list if you truly need to use it.

RACIAL SPEECH
Orcish
"Ashdautas Vrasubatlat." ["Someday I will kill you", a standard Orcish greeting]
"Nar Udautas." ["Not today", the standard reply]
"Amal shufar, at rrug." ["Where there's a whip, there's a way."]
"Mirdautas vras." ["It is a good day to kill"]
"Zanbaur." ["Elfson"]

Dwarven
"Axe high, friend, I go" [Dwarven farewell]
"May your axe be ever bright" [Dwarven farewell]
"I go" {Dwarven farewell " not impolite, often used by merchants]

"sargh" [orc, or orc-filth. Abusive term.]
"By my beard!" [The speaker is being VERY serious.]
"His beard is long." or "...longer than his years." [indicates wisdom]
"no-beard" or "shorthair" [meant as an insult to any race; particularly grave to another dwarf]
"You stand tall among us." [complimentary; the actual height of the person in question is irrelevant - it's impossible for a dwarf to use this ironically.]
"His axe is sharp." [said of a good strategic thinker.]
"Under the Mountain." [Safe, well protected.]
"Open to the sky." [Unsafe, unprotected. Also an insult, i.e. someone is a liability.]
"Gordul!" ["Gods look on!"]
"Calass." [a thief]
"dur Authalar" ["the people", only really used by wild dwarves]
"Fair as the Holy Hammer!" [Effectively means "Unfair", "Unjust"; when addressed directly to a person ("Soft with the Holy Hammer!") it means "Calm down", or "Ease off". The Holy Hammer are a dwarven group dedicated to the survival and improvement of the dwarven race and the lot of the dwarves. The dubious means (including murder and intimidation) by which they go about this noble-sounding end results in an expression which means the reverse of what one might expect.]
"Sandstone!" [Serious exclamation; literally stone too soft and crumbling to be workable.]
"As wild as a night in Wildstar." [Bawdy: Wildstar is an underground town of gold dwarves]
"For the arduke." [A battle-cry. The arduke is a title of the clan's chieftain used among the gold dwarves]

Elven
"Shardae" ["Winds blow." A neutral elven greeting indicating that chance has brought you together.]
"Sweet water and light laughter until next" [elven farewell, becoming adopted by nobles across the Heartlands]
"Vedui" [greeting; see "Vendui" below]
"Vendui" [Drow *only* - greeting. Surface elves will *not* be impressed if you use this to them]
"Aluve" [Drow *only* - "I/we leave you".]

"Est eionivan ei tie Myotha." ["Until the stones forget." A green elven curse, pronounced in all seriousness on those who have done some great harm to the People. Based on the idea that all things have an anima or spirit which the People can speak with and that the stones have the longest memories.]
"Nadorhuan(rim)" ["Cowardly dog(s)"]
"Mereth en draugrim" ["Feast of wolves", i.e. a slain enemy]
"Andodulin" ["Gate bird", i.e. a slain enemy]
"Auta miqula orqu" ["Go kiss an orc"]
"Lasta lalaithamin" ["Listen to my laughter", dismissive]
"Antolle ulua sulrim" ["Much wind pours from your mouth"]
"Utinu en lokirim" ["Son of snakes", i.e. a dishonest person]
"Lle naa haran e' nausalle" ["You are king in your imagination", to a pompous person]
"Amin feuya ten' lle" ["You disgust me"]
"Lle holma ve' edan" ["You smell like a human"]
"Dolle naa lost" ["Your head is empty"]

Gnomish
"Forges warm, friend" [Gnomish farewell]

"(to) set the gears in motion." [Getting things started, often with the mechanistic gnomish mentality that all things work like machines.]
"(he) always casts a shadow." [Mild or medium insult. Suggestive of the inability to hide *in* the shadows or use illusions to avoid detection.]

Halfling
"Good morning, and good day after that! Don't let anything curl your hair!" [Halfling greeting, to which is sometimes added, "'Ware the Big Folk, and mind the goblins too!"]
"Gods smile (upon you)!" [Halfling greeting to the impatient other races.]
"Brandobaris watch over your shadows." [Hin farewell]

GREETINGS and SAYINGS
Hello and goodbye
"Well met" [Most often used greeting, especially between races or to those about whom you are unsure.]
"Well again" [Used between business associates or acquaintances]
"Again." [Hostile greeting. Abbreviated from "Well again."]
"Until swords part" [Warriors' farewell throughout the Realms.]
"Alavairthae!" [A Thayan farewell, particularly among the Red Wizards. Means "May your skill prevail!".]
"Amarast!" ["Fare well until next we meet!", used by the sailors of the South.]
"Tantam." [Greeting used by merchants of all sorts in the North.]
"Oakfather keep the earth firm beneath your feet and the sun warm on your face 'till next we meet." [Also: "Rillifane...", "Eldath"", etc., and abbreviated to "Firm earth, warm sun "till next." Farewell common amongst followers of most nature deities]

Sayings
"That hound won't hunt." [Indicates a poorly thought-out idea or ill-judged plan. Mildly insulting.]
"Watch thy step, or your gold will soon be gilding Gondegal's throne!" [Warning expression. "Gondegal's throne" refers to anything likely to be a money-sink.]
"(you'd) sell slaves in Silverymoon." [to do something that violates local law/custom in a particularly outrageous and obvious way and then say: "I didn't know any better."]
"(caught) between the Dragon and the Desert." [between a rock and a hard place - to face two equally unattractive possibilities.]
"No more Firewine for the Barbarian." [said of someone going too far with a jest or a plan. "firewine" can be replaced by "jhuild", and "the Barbarian" by whoever it applies to.]
"Fool's Gold", or "To take Fool's Gold." [An adventurer's watchword meaning to take on an adventure so dangerous that only the god Torm (The True, the Foolish) would attempt it.]

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Huh..

You have a very good point Grumpycat... I never actually considered the fact that their are of course translation issues that come into effect.

I recall once being told that the word Crap was far to extreme for a PG-13 sever, but in the UK it is on the same tier as Bugger. Their are a couple of other examples that escape me...

All in all, it is a touchy subject, subjective to where you are from. It would seem however as Gods_Kill_People has pointed out, to be exceptionally creative seems to be highly effective, and generally lessens the chance of causing any sort of OOC Offence.

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:13 pm

I find bugger extremely rude. Does no one know what it actually means? How does bugger get away with so much? I put it down to the lack of hard consonants.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Probably because bugger actually has multiple meanings depending on culture.
noun
noun: bugger; plural noun: buggers

used as a term of abuse, especially for a man.
used as a term of affection or respect, typically grudgingly.
"I just hope you didn't hurt the poor bugger"
an annoyingly awkward thing.
"muskets are a bugger to load"
derogatory
a person who penetrates the anus of someone during sexual intercourse.

verb
verb: bugger; 3rd person present: buggers; past tense: buggered; past participle: buggered; gerund or present participle: buggering

penetrate the anus of (someone) during sexual intercourse.
cause serious harm or trouble to.
act in a stupid or feckless way.
used to express an angrily dismissive attitude to (someone or something).

exclamation
exclamation: bugger; exclamation: buggeration

used to express annoyance or anger.
Most of which aren't very offensive at all, so it's all a matter of cultural context.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:51 pm

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Also one of the soundsets actually uses 'Bugger!' So if the makers of NWN thought it was suitable for PG13... I agree, it's a wierd one. I sort of flinch from it myself. But... objectivly I'm content to say it is allowable.

And Nitro is right, context (cultural and otherwise) also plays a HUGE part of it.

E.g. Calling a female dog a bitch is fine. Calling a woman a bitch becomes less fine.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:00 pm

You can emote biting your thumb at someone, or just biting your thumb in general at no one specific if called out.
\

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:04 pm

Going to have to google what biting your thumb at someone means..

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Swear words are taboos? Does Arelith only exist in the Victorian era? :0 This is absolutely not an argument, but... whattttt????? Just use made-up words where you would normally use the colorful expressions of C, F, S, and P; people are apt to fill in the blanks for you and you'll create your own vast dictionary of delicious swearing! Storybook euphemisms are howwible whitewash to the range of expression that makes language awesome, says I.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 pm

My rule of thumb is to try not to use my own perception as to what's "offensive", but to try to gauge what the community and the DMs are considering offensive.. When in doubt I would ask a DM, as the definition of offensive can change from time to time due in no small part to what Grumpycat said about language differences.

I look for words that are fun to say and hear and that impart humor, even when my char is dead serious in trying to offend. I recommend a thesaurus for finding euphemisms to make R-rated words and concepts and put them into a more friendly presentation.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:16 am

Had a halfling that used to say, only to people that truly irritated her. "Oh go chew on some yarn"
I'm told it was effective as even the players got chills down their spine
Plays as the monster in your closet

Rogaku

Post by Rogaku » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:26 am

Raziel's Flaming Sword!
Major Characters:
Lacroix Sudentan (Deceased) , Rory Tate (Retired), Harcourt Fentyon: (Deceased) , Rachielle Du Vernais (Deceased) . Aloysious Valoheim (Retired), Troius Meridio (Deceased), Earnhardt Creid (Deceased)

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:10 pm

CookieMonster wrote:Just imagine that you are stood in the middle of a Nursery or Primary School filled with babies and very young children and then think to yourself.. If I said this, would I be glared at by parents.
and this is a prime example of the absurdity of PG-13 - I would rather tell someone to f off in a school than describe half the stuff my drow character gets up to in front of a 13 year old, but apparently violence is totally fine and swearing is bad kids

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Kuma wrote:
CookieMonster wrote:Just imagine that you are stood in the middle of a Nursery or Primary School filled with babies and very young children and then think to yourself.. If I said this, would I be glared at by parents.
and this is a prime example of the absurdity of PG-13 - I would rather tell someone to f off in a school than describe half the stuff my drow character gets up to in front of a 13 year old, but apparently violence is totally fine and swearing is bad kids
American sensibilities at their finest.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Kuma wrote:
Unfortunately, this is a prime example of ignorance towards a very simple rule. The stuff your Character does in line with the games engine is animated in a manner that does not cause shock and horror. Their are no severed limbs, no horrific displays of anything, quite like other games that contain violence.

However

If you were to introduce a character to violence that one might consider too extreme or graphical RP wise, language that were too exterme RP wise then you lack any ability to moderate yourself for the sake of other people's enjoyment and the peace of mind of parents that allow their children to play on this server.

If you wish an example. I need only say Drow Temple's Balor Parties and how the DM and Dev team very, very quickly brought down the Ban Hammer on a select minority of Arelith's population that thought such an extreme and horrific example of breaching the PG 13 rule were allowable.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:03 pm

There seems to be some confusion, but you can use the F-word in PG-13 movies.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075350723/

As for content, one of the scariest movies ever is only rated PG. (And it has its share of disturbing content)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084516/

This is why using movie ratings as some kind of metric is really dumb.
\

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Kuma wrote: