Brain picking time! Offensive language.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mouthy Expert

Re: Brain picking time! Offensive language.

Post by Mouthy Expert » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Always been a fan of "sodding", personally.

flower

Post by flower » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 pm

CookieMonster wrote:...

I do not want to sink into this but do explain please to poor eastern European how game where you kill people, murder and sacrifice people, fits being less offensive than saying f....off?

I understand that parents do not wish their children learn to swear and stuff but at same time letting them role play sacrificing people at altars and conjuring demons being fine with that....eh.

(Not that I am fan of restrictions or even support forbiding things to younth, as i do not believe it serves the purpose, i just do not understand the difference where insult is more offensive than someone getting murdered).

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 pm

I will always prefer that somebody murder me instead of cussing me out.

God forbid..
Intelligence is too important

Pakito

Post by Pakito » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:55 pm

No need to deviate the thread now.

One that I'm really fan of (it's already been mentioned) is sod. You can use that in nearly every sentence.

Lout is also a good one. It would be really offensive in our culture if it were popular (it's like saying retard), but it's not -- and even Bioware games like Baldur's Gate have conversations with the word used. "What are you doing, you lout?!"

Idiot could be a synonym to lout, but I personally hate that word. I hate it because everyone in the Western culture uses it, when in reality it's just as offensive as retard. The dictionary describes "a person with severe mental retardation". Calling someone an idiot is actually quite terrible. In real life, I mean.

Oaf is also a good one.

My favorite will always be poppycock though :roll:

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 am

flower wrote:

I do not want to sink into this but do explain please to poor eastern European how game where you kill people, murder and sacrifice people, fits being less offensive than saying f....off?

I understand that parents do not wish their children learn to swear and stuff but at same time letting them role play sacrificing people at altars and conjuring demons being fine with that....eh.

(Not that I am fan of restrictions or even support forbiding things to younth, as i do not believe it serves the purpose, i just do not understand the difference where insult is more offensive than someone getting murdered).
You pretty much answered your own question.

And as I said, the mechanics of NWN as a base is done so in a manner that avoids offence, even the animations are moderated and can be even further with the settings. The game itself is rated 12.

Now, as I pointed out, what is not acceptable is to introduce Children to examples of RP that are far too extreme and graphical to even be considered margainly acceptable.. Using your example of scrificing people at altars. It can be done easily in a way that does not offend, that does not focus entirly on pain, blood and guts and just as the plotline to NWN itself, would avoid offending anyone. And as I also said.. Cases where players lack the sense or the ability to avoid offence and completely bulldosed the PG 13 rule by displaying horrendously graphical and extremely detailed displays of Murder.. Sacrificing or Balor Parties.. Have been banned or sternly spoken with.

But.. Telling someone to F*** Off is not moderated, nor can you moderate it any further. It is offencive and not acceptable to be used on Arelith's settings as a PG 13 server.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 am

You can drop the f bomb in PG 13 movies. Ergo it's allowed here as is my understanding.
\

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 am

BegoneThoth wrote:You can drop the f bomb in PG 13 movies. Ergo it's allowed here as is my understanding.
You can drop an f-bomb ONCE in a PG-13 movie. Better, frankly, to avoid it altogether.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:56 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
BegoneThoth wrote:You can drop the f bomb in PG 13 movies. Ergo it's allowed here as is my understanding.
You can drop an f-bomb ONCE in a PG-13 movie. Better, frankly, to avoid it altogether.
Put this on the last page I'll post it again though.
BegoneThoth wrote:There seems to be some confusion, but you can use the F-word in PG-13 movies.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075350723/

As for content, one of the scariest movies ever is only rated PG. (And it has its share of disturbing content)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084516/

This is why using movie ratings as some kind of metric is really dumb.
Edit; As long as it's not 'sexual' you can pretty much drop the f-bomb all you want.
\

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:00 am

Fair enough, missed that link. Regardless, it's been previously requested that we avoid that word in general.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:28 am

CookieMonster wrote:
flower wrote:

You pretty much answered your own question.

And as I said, the mechanics of NWN as a base is done so in a manner that avoids offence, even the animations are moderated and can be even further with the settings. The game itself is rated 12.

Now, as I pointed out, what is not acceptable is to introduce Children to examples of RP that are far too extreme and graphical to even be considered margainly acceptable.. Using your example of scrificing people at altars. It can be done easily in a way that does not offend, that does not focus entirly on pain, blood and guts and just as the plotline to NWN itself, would avoid offending anyone. And as I also said.. Cases where players lack the sense or the ability to avoid offence and completely bulldosed the PG 13 rule by displaying horrendously graphical and extremely detailed displays of Murder.. Sacrificing or Balor Parties.. Have been banned or sternly spoken with.

But.. Telling someone to F*** Off is not moderated, nor can you moderate it any further. It is offencive and not acceptable to be used on Arelith's settings as a PG 13 server.
yeah I know it's like, popular to trot out the old 'but i can tear people's heads off why can't I curse!' argument but PG-13 does have rules about what types and of what graphicness violence/sex/etc can be in movies. That's absolutely part of it.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:42 pm

So offensive language is more evil?
Murder Bob killed random gnome? Meh, that happens time to time.
Dirty Bod said "heck?" By the gods! That's evil!

Bonzo Rippert's player once talked to me about the subject as he got whine about saying "heck."
I'm alright with "offensive languages" as long it's roleplayed with a good taste, common sense and keeping it between IC, not in OOC.

We also need to be careful to not overreact with washing mouths with soap or else roleplaying rough cursing characters becomes very limited and unpleasant experience.

To some people saying "Snuggybear" is a curse. Do we start demanding use of "butt" instead?
To some people saying "shit" is a curse. Do we start demanding use of "poop" instead?

Heh, "Ye piece of poop." Better keep that in my mind if Wotan ever throw a "curse."

EDIT: huh, did not write "snuggybear" but you know what word I meant.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Your Impotent Gods

Post by Your Impotent Gods » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Yeesh, frankly I don't see the issue with cursing, it's quite the common occurrence even for pre-teens to curse where I'm from, so seeing people upset over the word shit is an absolute mind blower.

DM Rakshasa

Post by DM Rakshasa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:38 pm

I believe the thread was about what alternatives there are that can be used in game.

We've been over whether or not we can use certain words considered 'strong language', and you have your answer: Avoid it.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:10 pm

That our society has odd standards when it comes to what is suitable for younger people , in terms of language, violence and sexuality, is well known and certainly unsuprising.

That there's going to be some discordance in a rating system designed for fims, with a video game that's mostly text based is also no suprise.

However.

We do have younger players. And whilst you may be entirely comfortable with a ten year old being subjected to very strong language, the majority of people, especialy parents, do seem to have issue with it.

As A DM, when it comes to ratings, we do try to draw a line between what is suitable for a young child, but without curtailing the freedom, and story telling ability, of the rest of the player base over much. To use an example - violence is sadly intrinsic to this story (you kill monsters) and it wouldn't be fair to say to every evil pc, that the height of their evilness is limited bit of cackling, a very gentle slap on the wrist, then a ominous monologue before letting someone go. We want to give a flexiblity of story telling ability after all.

I know that the lines blur on these matters. Which is why for all but the worst offenders, we always warn first, before punishing if the offence continues. But the lines do need to be there, so that younger players can enjoy arelith, and so that parents can feel safe letting them.

If someones character concept is dependent on them being able to drop the F bomb, then I think they have an extremely limited imagination, and that their character concept is simply not suited for Arelith.

With that being said, we've stated our stance on this now- and I'm locking this thread.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)