Suggestion Discussion - Craftable Coinage

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tyrantos

Re: Suggestion Discussion - Craftable Coinage

Post by Tyrantos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:34 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:Lead into gold at a very high alchemy DC would be pretty neat.

Make it require various vials of magic/dragon blood too.

Actually, yes. Tie it to Alchemy if anything. Put a pretty high DC on it and crafting points, but make it possible.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:38 pm

You could require people to make a philosophers stone, which is tedious to make, and that lets you turn iron into silver and lead into gold by using the stone on the ingots. It would have charges and ideally require something like mojo other trades have to make.

Art crafting could then turn copper/silver/gold into gold pieces.
\

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Only if the philosopher's stone was charged through the sacrifice of people.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 pm

I could actually see something like this raising other costs for crafted items, placing them out of reach for PCs that don't have the required skill to make coins. I like the scrapper idea posted earlier. It gives those without coin-making skills a way to keep up with those with the skill. It would also force a hard value on ore. Keep the scrap value lower than what the coin output could be so coin makers can buy them and still profit without having to murder others for the ore.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:16 pm

You could require people to make a philosophers stone, which is tedious to make, and that lets you turn iron into silver and lead into gold by using the stone on the ingots. It would have charges and ideally require something like mojo other trades have to make
Ideally I'd would have a one off ressurection ability too - eternal life and all that. :)
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:24 pm

I like it. It provides a clever way to combat the inflation of gold without too much direct interference. Like a "gold sink" that is very realistic and natural. It might be a good idea to replace the gold that is dropped by monsters with something else of equal value, though.

This is one of the things I wanted to see on the server, actually. Reminds me of the Forgotten Realms: Cormyr server. The other being perishable and non-perishable types of food, and NPC food vendors being linked to settlement stockpiles.

100% two thumbs up from me for this idea though. I'm glad that the admins and devs have the time to devote to deepening our experiences on the server.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
You could require people to make a philosophers stone, which is tedious to make, and that lets you turn iron into silver and lead into gold by using the stone on the ingots. It would have charges and ideally require something like mojo other trades have to make
Ideally I'd would have a one off ressurection ability too - eternal life and all that. :)
That's a good idea, but a little 'cheap' for such an item? A better idea might be to add a 'unique power' that knocks the user down a level, emulating another arelith server fixture, and call that eternal life.
\

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Philo stones, coins, and ingor crafting sound like fun ways to boost alchemy.

As for making coinage itself, though, I don't know if it really serves a use like gemstacks do, unless the resulting coins also weight 0.0 pounds. Otherwise I'll just keep using gems and mechanical weightless GP.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 pm

I assume you just make a 'gold piece' that goes into your gold.
\

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Guys... guys..

Trade bars.

Allow the conversion of silver and gold into trade bars that can be exchanged at a banker for raw gold. Bonus if normal merchants buy them too.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:44 am

yellowcateyes wrote:Only if the philosopher's stone was charged through the sacrifice of people.

I like this idea though. The ore into money thing. I know this is an old one, but what about ways to deconstruct an item back into metal or something? Still a no go?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:45 am

I would love if when done with a weapon, I could smelt it back down.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:24 am

How about to increase price of gold ingot (1 000 gp) by vendors. Gold ore will become immedeitly rare and steep in price on market.