A discussion about Discords (and stuff)

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mr_Rieper

Re: A discussion about Discords (and stuff)

Post by Mr_Rieper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:16 pm

Tyrantos wrote:Its a nightmare to use factions to cordinate players.
Amen. I dread having to write ingame letters for the same reason. The slightest bit of lag, or entering your message too early, or some slight formatting error. Minimising and maximising to copy paste text into the letter is a good way to misclick and cancel the whole thing.

The factions menu is also very clunky, due to the fault of NWN dialogue windows.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 am

Giftstoff wrote:Discord has allowed for better networking and grouping up than at any other time in Areliths history. Better than Tells, better than Skype, better than anything. The damage you can do in a server like Areliths that is so large, is great, and HAS been proven in the past to cause this damage due to a small group of people.

It only takes 1 person yelling a lie to spread that lie to hundreds of people.

1 Person yelling a server secret to metagame it across everyone.

1 Person giving up a name to ruin an entire plot.

These things could never have happened on this scale before, now they can, and do. You can't spread information like that across 100 tells without there being a massive trail of evidence. Nobody had skype groups with hundreds of players in them. Now you can hide behind an anonymous mask on a discord group of...how many people are in there now?
The size of the Arelith public discord means its pretty much the opposite of an 'echo chamber' or whatever it gets naively labelled as. Players of all different stripe and colour are forced to co-inhabit a shared space. I've seen IG feuds mediated, and I've see players I was sure despised each other chat the day away, share tips, help noobs, gripe about IRL jobs. More importantly, that size means gossip and rumour are nipped in the bud, the subject given a fair platform to defend themselves and combat the "fake news" -- everything is out in the open.

It was the "old way" -- strings of exclusive, closed-off groups -- that allowed rumours to fester and spread like Chinese whispers.

So when a Discord group of such size is able to weaponize in the way you claim, it's not the work of a master gossiper, or the supposedly poisonous nature of OOC chats, just that a single person(s) was able to unify everyone else against them in mutual contempt.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm

please unban me from 3.0
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Dovesong

Post by Dovesong » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Stath wrote:please unban me from 3.0
No you have cooties.
In'iira - Woman of Many Talents.

Lily-Rose - Daughter of the storm

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 pm

I don't appreciate the trolling, serious replies only please
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?