Good drow, bad drow.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Sab1

Re: Good drow, bad drow.

Post by Sab1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:43 pm

A reward wouldn't solve any issue if every drow needed one. Any issue with drow would still happen if a player needed a reward. Just because I need a reward for an ogre doesn't mean I will be great or bad at playing one.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Have to disappoint you.

We all burnt awards to play our Drow.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Irongron's statement is pretty clear. I think this is due a lock.
:)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Can you just be a CN drow that worships eilistraee w/o a reward?
\

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:53 pm

As is the following:

[quote="Mayonnaise]
Whenever you find yourself in a situation that strikes you as unjust,damaging to yourself/others/the servers as a whole, the very first thing you ought to do is try and keep a clear headed view of things (it'll help you get through it, if anything), and then try and get a DM's assistance through the DM Channel, in game.
If no DM is available, then you can try and send a message to them through the following address:

Arelith.DM@gmail.com

And that is it. From here your issue will be handled and resolved, one way or the other. There is no need for any of the following:

-OOC arguments through tells that last for hours,give you an increased risk of a heart attack,and very often can end up hurting you instead of resolving a single thing.

-Rushing to the forums and start ranting about everything that happened as if the world had just come to an end. Don't do this. The forums do not serve that purpose. You'll just earn an increased chance of getting banned here, even if you were right about your complains.

.[/quote]

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 pm

-OOC arguments through tells that last for hours,give you an increased risk of a heart attack,and very often can end up hurting you instead of resolving a single thing.
Heart attack? Just turn tells off.
\

Gnarh

Post by Gnarh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:07 pm

flower wrote: Selective interpretation of the rules to support their position
Irongron wrote:If any player is any doubt about playing a 'friendly' monster race the server has had a very clear policy on this for over a decade.

Text below is from here: http://wiki.arelith.com/Playing_any_UD_race

Monster races

Here's the thing: when you play a monster race, expect to be treated as a monster race. Every civilized town for RP purposes can be considered to have a number of residents. If you got an ooc warning about hanging around a populated surface town if you are an underdarker, thank your lucky stars because the IC interaction would be: "look, a monster, everyone kill it." and then having the entire local militia attack until you all died. In fact, if you're playing a monster race, we're permitting it based on the understanding that you will react in just this way...avoiding towns upon fear of death.

Goblins, Kobolds, Drow, Orogs, etc, are considered a "Monster Race". Part of the RP of being allowed (note the very careful phrasing) to continue to play a monster race is rping as if you are a monster, an unwelcome member in traditional surface society. If you can't do that, there's absolutely no rule that says I can't delete your character for bastardizing the role play of the entire server. In fact, ask around, I will do it without hesitation or remorse if I feel as if in any way your rp is corrupting the vision of RP for the server.

Bottom line is, it's ok to agree to disagree on the principle, just so there is an understanding that if/when we catch it, the consequences will be severe. Up to and including permanent removal of the character and/or player permanently, in extreme or repetitive instances.

Jjjerm

It has nothing to do with alignment. If you have a non-evil monster, or have used a reward to be good aligned, you are expected to do so in the Underdark setting, or outside of civilsed lands (away from NPCs)

This is not a discussion.
Roleplay Rules on the Wiki wrote: There will be NO Role Play with 'good' aligned drow. Please read the definitive Drow policy for more information.
Definitive Drow Policy wrote: The Definitive Drow Policy, and why
"The drow are hostile, a feared and deadly opponent...feared even more so than many other hostile opponents, because a dragon will only eat you, but a Drow might let you live...but in a way that death would be preferable. [...] I don't want you to be a wanker about it OOC, certainly, but IN CHARACTER, you have typically got to react to drow as you would an extremely dangerous hostile enemy (they are). [...] In Faerun, mothers scare their children into obedience with admonitions of "if you don't eat your vegetables, the Drow will take you away in the night!" and other such pleasantries." -Jjjerm

Surface/Underdark relations need not necessarily be hostile, however trust should not be implicit or even assumed.
Drow should not be kind, gentle, forgiving, or sympathetic. The Underdark is a dangerous place where survival is extremely difficult, and those Drow who put others before themselves rarely reach adulthood.
Drow are free to visit and raid the Surface, so long as incursions are roleplayed and natural weaknesses are not ignored for convenience. (e.g. Light aversion, unfamiliarity with open space, etc...)

"We moved away from the all-Drow-RP-must-be-hostile stance about a year ago, when Andunor was released. Now we simply require it to be realistic - so no jumping in and trusting a Drow to have your back, for example, but co-operation to mutual gain is allowed if handled well. Way back in the day there was a Drow 2nd in command of the Banites, for example, and that sort of thing is fitting. So I'm OK with [Surfacers and Underdarkers] reaching an arrangement, so long as it's not cuddly." -Mithreas

"Is this interfering with the individuals right to choose their own role play? Yes. Do I care? No. Reason? Because I am concerned with server quality more than individual rights. You may define any of my actions, and judge them, by the simple standards of "is this action being beneficial or detrimental to the server overall?". Or, as Spock said, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"." -Jjjerm
Once again, for effect:
"Is this interfering with the individuals right to choose their own role play? Yes. Do I care? No. Reason? Because I am concerned with server quality more than individual rights. You may define any of my actions, and judge them, by the simple standards of "is this action being beneficial or detrimental to the server overall?". Or, as Spock said, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"." -Jjjerm

I would fully encourage any player to report to DM's any instance of snugglybear Drow immediately. I'm going to do the same right now.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Gnarh wrote:
Invader_Nym wrote: If anything I think someone coming in and telling us what we can and can't civilly and respectfully discuss is a little bit strident.
Irongron wrote: This is not a discussion
Nym, please go read the server rules and the Dev announcements.

One of my characters actually RP'd with yours the other day, and although it wasn't at the point of being report worthy, it was pretty bloody cheesy.

Try to remember in future that if you show up disguised as a "Drow Scout," just dropping your disguise isn't going to change the way that other characters react to you:

If they've seen you as a Drow Scout, they are going to still believe you are a Drow Scout.
If they believe you are a Drow Scout on the surface, they'll do two things - if they believe they are strong enough to stomp you, then they'll do that. Otherwise they'll run for help to try and stomp you.

#saynototeaandcrumpets
I think it's pretty cheesy for you to create a new forum account specifically to make your first post be one trying to shut down fair-minded discussions. You didn't report what I was doing, presumably, because I didn't actually break any rules. I have no idea what you're referring to with the drow scout disguise thing. I think you're being deliberately vague because the specifics of the incident don't really support your position.

Why don't you tell me clearly what it is that bothered you instead of hiding behind anonymity and making vague references to the encounter?

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Instead of reporting, giving threaths about reporting on forums. Where is moderator?

Gnarh

Post by Gnarh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:17 pm

I didn't have a forum account before because I didn't have any reason to post.

I'm not hiding behind anonymity any more than you are. I've also now PM'd the incident to the DM's to deal with.

What's bothering me is that RP like this isn't respecting the server or it's setting. Seriously. Go read the rules and the DM annoucements.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:21 pm

And this was going quite well before.

If you do notice terrible rp, then yes, you may report it to us, and we will use our disgression as to whether or not to act on it.

Locking this now.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)