Good drow, bad drow.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Black Wendigo

Re: Good drow, bad drow.

Post by Black Wendigo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:58 am

Well, in all the years I've been playing on Arelith, the idea of playing a god drow has been either frowned on or discouraged. I believe what was not wanted was drow or other monster races becomming snowflake or Mary Sue type chars that break the actual game lore or are a dtriment ot the server. Gnolls are not puppy dogs. Goblins and kobolds are not cute little pets. Drow are not "good". That sort of thing.

THat's kind of the rule of thumb I've been using for my monster PCs. It is not a rule. No one is "doing it wrong" if they aer playing thier monsters less than evil (the Deftpaws are another good example of how to play monster PCs that are not exactly evil. The RP within the pack has compassion it it (Of a gnoll sort mind you :))).

SoI I just kind of roll with peoples' RP as it comes. My char may not like it and some of them will hate "good" drow and "compassionate" gnolls or the like. But it's rare that I find [people playing these outside the box chars as being flat out inappropriate. I leave tht decision to the DMs, admins, and so forth.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:01 am

Dunisbane wrote:Sorry if I come off that way at all. I don't mean to. My concern mainly lies with it turns to an argument about players playing their characters correctly which was sort of the vibe I got with the request to lock the thread. The interest about the change in dynamic I didn't mean to speak poorly of in itself.
Your original post was reasonable and not strident at all. My remarks were intended for someone else. ;)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 am

In recent months, I’ve come across more than a couple followers of Eilliastraee who actively advocate save the good drow movement. I don’t have a problem with this OOC, but I wanted to gauge the server’s current sentiment on drow tolerance. Should we go with the flow and embrace eventual Drow-on-surface settlements, or generally subscribe to Arelith’s heritage stance of dead drow is good drow?
Good drow are currently still in a firm and extreme minority, but are allowable to play so long as one is willing to burn the award on it.

At the moment, to my knowledge, we do not have an excessive amount of Good Drow. However should that change, I'm sure that the Devs will look at the situation.

Good Drow are still subject to all the problems evil Drow are up to and including.

*Being hated by almost all other races
*Utter aversion to light

Drow, good, neutral or otherwise, should not be hangling around openly in any settlment. Even if the PC 'leader' of such settlment has said 'This Drow is nice' The npcs would likely have strong reactions.

From a PC Perspective, there's not any real change in policy. The policy on Drow/Underdark races has never really been, 'Kill on Sight.it's just been 'Treat as you would a race that is 99% evil.

This hasn't changed. Sure, this one guy says -this- drow is nice. But how much can you trust that guys' judgement? How do you know the Drow isn't just leading him on? (Drow are masters of deception). How do you know the drow won't slide back into evilness? What if this drow has friends that will come after him?

All Drow should be treated with fear/hostility/extreme distrust until they have proved themselves, if they even ever can prove themselves to your character.

The only time I think the 'good Drow' thing will ever become a real problem is if there's a strong movement for, 'Awww, you should treat a Drow how it acts, not how it seems! Don't be racist!'

No. No. Be Racist. Drow, like most UD races, are 99% EVIL. Even Good drow should be awear of this, and wary. After all, any number of drow who 'claim' they are good also might turn out to be just pretending in order to get to the allies you've made, or get after you yourself. A Good drow is an extreme anomoly, and everyone needs to be awear of that.

I am going to leave this topic open, but I'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure it remains civil.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Pavor Nocturnus

Post by Pavor Nocturnus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 am

DM GrumpyCat wrote: The only time I think the 'good Drow' thing will ever become a real problem is if there's a strong movement for, 'Awww, you should treat a Drow how it acts, not how it seems! Don't be racist!'
I see IC behaviour like this happening often.
here
here
up here kane
Kane
up here
Kane morris

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:25 am

Report that to the DMs. It isn't a rulebreak per se, but it, along with the attitude that warlocks can somehow be "not bad" is something that the DMs can talk to individuals about, or run events to address.

Pavor Nocturnus

Post by Pavor Nocturnus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:29 am

Lorkas wrote:Report that to the DMs. It isn't a rulebreak per se, but it, along with the attitude that warlocks can somehow be "not bad" is something that the DMs can talk to individuals about, or run events to address.
You really think I should, though? It is not for me, or any player, to decide whether a person is roleplaying well or not, is it? Sure, we could think it, but as you said, they are not breaking any rules, they are just making my character want to kill them over and over.
here
here
up here kane
Kane
up here
Kane morris

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:32 am

Pavor Nocturnus wrote:
DM GrumpyCat wrote: The only time I think the 'good Drow' thing will ever become a real problem is if there's a strong movement for, 'Awww, you should treat a Drow how it acts, not how it seems! Don't be racist!'

If anyone voices for a Drow, it is only for a certain individuals, not for race as such. Because those who do it, fight other Drow.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:03 am

flower wrote:
Pavor Nocturnus wrote:

If anyone voices for a Drow, it is only for a certain individuals, not for race as such. Because those who do it, fight other Drow.
I feel like I should have reworded my statement a bit.

"The only time I think 'Good Drow' thing will ever become a real problem, is if there is a strong movment for 'Awww, you should treat The Drow Race with more equinimity. Don't judge a Drow on how they look!' Or something like that.

Someone saying 'This Drow is Good' is... fine. I'd still encourage a roleplay of extreme distrust/hatred whatever, but it's fine.

Someone (or at least a large movement of people) saying 'You know, not all Drow are evil...' (with the insinuation that one should not hate/kill/fear/distrust drow in sight) is more the issue I'm taling about.

I realize that this also exists to a small extent. Again it's not a problem in smal amount, just bad roleplay. When it starts to exist in large amounts then it's a problem.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 am

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
The only time I think the 'good Drow' thing will ever become a real problem is if there's a strong movement for, 'Awww, you should treat a Drow how it acts, not how it seems! Don't be racist!'
I like this. Drow are supposed to be smart. So a good acting drow would most likely be an evil drow being smart, just waiting for the right moment to backstab a naîve surfacer who believes he/she met a good drow. That's prolly what most real good drow should consider. And to be honest, the few good aligned drow I met, did that: they have roleplayed that of course surfacers don't trust them, and understand that they have no right to say: "Hej guy, I am good! Don't be racist".

So far I don't have any problems with that, as long as we don't have a lot of them. IG you can always choose to play your char as someone who don't trust goood aligned drow at all, and most certainly don't understand why some surfacers believe they are good aligned.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:52 am

I don't really mind good Drows and the roleplay that follow, in fact i approve of it.
i just wish there wasn't a giant OOC filter in the form of the portal at Myon. "hey drow.. can you enter myon?" "oh you can.. i trust you completely now!" that's just so wrong in my head and i hope this change as fast as possible. That ic trust is based on an OOC feature. urgh...

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:54 am

Mythal allows not to a Drow pass trough, regardless of aligment.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:06 am

Pavor Nocturnus wrote:
Lorkas wrote:Report that to the DMs. It isn't a rulebreak per se, but it, along with the attitude that warlocks can somehow be "not bad" is something that the DMs can talk to individuals about, or run events to address.
You really think I should, though? It is not for me, or any player, to decide whether a person is roleplaying well or not, is it? Sure, we could think it, but as you said, they are not breaking any rules, they are just making my character want to kill them over and over.
That's why reporting it to the DM's is a good idea if you think someone is doing something that goes against the server lore, they're in a far better position to judge, and adjust RPR accordingly.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:09 am

No drow can pass the mythal, regardless of alignment.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:31 am

Pavor Nocturnus wrote:
I don't. I see it being complained about, but I never see it actually happening.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:46 am

I just wish people dealt with things Ic then taking them to forums, and even more, attended their own gameplay instead of jumping on others judging their play.

Nemain

Post by Nemain » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Pavor Nocturnus wrote:
I don't. I see it being complained about, but I never see it actually happening.
Fortunately, such a strong movement is something that might well be nipped in the bud IC by a very strong presence of perfectly evil Drow doing their shenanigans.

Really, even a neutral, or a good aligned Drow would have cause to be wary of surfacers as a whole: they -know- that they'll be hunted down on sight by the vast majority. Even more, they have a very good reason to believe any "good Drow" they encounter is actually a Lolthite spy/assassin/priestess out to gain herself a massive Lolth favor boost by backstabbing them and their friends- or taking them to the nearest Altar.

If it's a notorious one that other people talk a lot about? Red flag alert: this might either be the real deal, or a VERY GOOD spy/assassin/priestess. And there's no real way to tell which is which until it's far too late.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:26 pm

Cuchilla wrote: I like this. Drow are supposed to be smart. So a good acting drow would most likely be an evil drow being smart, just waiting for the right moment to backstab a naîve surfacer who believes he/she met a good drow.
I for one welcome the good drow. Please I am a good drow let me join your settlement, nothing can possibly go wrong.

Gnarh

Post by Gnarh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:58 pm

Invader_Nym wrote: If anything I think someone coming in and telling us what we can and can't civilly and respectfully discuss is a little bit strident.
Irongron wrote: This is not a discussion
Nym, please go read the server rules and the Dev announcements.

EDITED: For report to DM's

#saynototeaandcrumpets
Last edited by Gnarh on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Gnarh wrote:...

Stop posting on forums and act like that then IC. Is not your place to judge other player's gameplay and especially not on forums.

#saynototheplayerstellinghowtoplay

Gnarh

Post by Gnarh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:25 pm

flower wrote: Stop posting on forums and act like that then IC. Is not your place to judge other player's gameplay and especially not on forums.

#saynototheplayerstellinghowtoplay
I did act like that IC. Also it is every players place to judge another player's gameplay. You do it every time you react to them - you have to make a judgement on their actions in order to tell a cohesive story.

Furthermore, when you see someone who is breaking the rules, or treading very close to it, you have to make a judgement whether or not to report it to DM's.

#saynotospecialsnowflakes

Edit: You also just contradicted yourself by telling me how to play.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:30 pm

I do not tell how to play, i tell you to act like you write here and to stop telling others how to do it.

When you see someone who is breaking rules, you are to REPORT IT to DMs not to trash it on forums.

Stop giving here moralist lessons how you must decide and stop implying he got away on your mercy. Noone is interested about that.

And on top, of course he is disguised as a Drow Scout, being a Drow....lol. But no, i will not play your game and feed the troll.

Gnarh

Post by Gnarh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:34 pm

flower wrote: a whole heap of justifying
But you just did!

(Someone really needs to lock this thread)

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Anyone who plays a filthy drow should be banned.
#Freetheunderdark

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:37 pm

This thread is an excellent example of why concerns about RP should be taken to the DM team, not turned into a community discussion.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Gnarh

Post by Gnarh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:38 pm

There are players that have been arguing for years that you should have to burn an award to play a Drow.

I'll freely admit that I'm now in their camp.