Rodent

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ozzy.nl

Re: Rodent

Post by Ozzy.nl » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Personally I never had the pleasure of speaking to Rodent. But it it always sad news to hear someone has suddenly been taken from out community like this.

May he rest in peace.

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:01 pm

I had the pleasure of writing with Rodent off and on for a little under ten years. When I first stumbled, blind and lost, into the world of roleplaying, it was Rodent, more than any other, that sat down with me and plotted out characters and arcs, stories and scenes, scripts and factions.

We wrote tales of grim naval officers, cynical as the day is long, to wandering vagabonds, to secret agents, to just about everything in between. I know he even tried his hand at a post-apocalyptic story that he talked about one day working through to publication, and that he did end up writing a compendium of sci-fi short stories to accompany a music album a number of years ago.

When I finally left home behind and went travelling, Rodent, l3wt, Lambert, and I kept in touch, and I spent three months worth of evenings on skype at night, happily typing away with them. That only continued when we migrated to Arelith, and it was Rodent, more than anyone else, that dragged in all the friendly faces, old and new.

His death comes as as much of a shock to me as I suspect it does to many others here. He was a brilliant writer and, more than that, a brilliant friend, and will be sorely missed.
Last edited by Commissar on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

GearsOfMadness

Post by GearsOfMadness » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 pm

A shame to have heard this happened. The few times I played with him, he brought a lot to the table. I'm sure he'd be happy to see all the good will by all the others who have posted here.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Tragic...

I only was able to play with Myr but I had a huge amount of respect for the character and player. I've been wondering on and off the last two months when I'd get to hang out with Myr some more, there is regret I didn't take more time in Myon to do so. The memories I do have I'll cherish though, for every story told and yet untold.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

polki

Post by polki » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:35 am

Rodent,

We'd talk about DBZ, Berserk, Indian film, smut, romance novels, anime games, fictional crushes, camels that wear fez set on a coyishly playful angle, the dozen weddings you were attending, your addiction to Pinterest boards, and the best matrons.

I'd nudge you for some Hindi, and you'd nudge me for Quebecois. You loved dramatic soundtracks and heartbreak. We'd conspire and gossip about our anonymous characters and the juicy details.

We would gush about the ultimate manmeat, Ranveer Singh.
We didn't get to do it enough. All of this, and I only saw a small part of you.

Rodent, Prarabdh: I hope you know I thought well of you, and enjoyed every moment we'd touch base. Valav will write smutty fiction of Shallan until the ink runs dry.

नमस्ते। मुझे तुम याद आओगे।

Last edited by polki on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:42 am

RIP man, you were one of the good guys.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:42 am

Call me cheesy, but I lit a candle for him. Don't mind my crappy phone camera, it's kindasortabusted.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:58 am

I didn't know Rodent super well outside the game, but I got to know him through his characters to an extent. He was unfailingly courteous, with a boundless imagination and a really really awful sense of humor. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that I'll never stumble across another of his characters. This is a loss that will be felt keenly for a long time.

Prarabdh, I'll see you down the road.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:20 am

I've been looking at this thread for a whole day, and I haven't really been able to give a solid reply. Somehow I've a feeling this one won't do justice my thoughts on the matter; these things are funny like that. It doesn't even seem real, as if I'll wake up any moment from a particularly melancholy dream.

I would like to say that Rodent and I were pretty close friends, even if I have only known -- knew, I guess, much as the past-tense stings to type -- him for a couple of years. We spoke on details of his life, wedded brothers and their beautiful brides, thoughts and anecdotes, our mutual musings on how attractive that girl from Drive really was, vented frustrations about both the server and things offline... and as all friends do, weird and silly jokes that wouldn't really make any sense to anyone else.

I never saw him in person, but I knew him as a person. Perhaps that's just as important.

He was a good roleplayer, a good friend, a good person. A positive influence to everything and everyone around him.

Arelith is a worse place for his loss, and indeed so is the world.

BrilliantInsanity

Post by BrilliantInsanity » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:30 am

Never knew him, but it speaks a lot for someone that can get this much of a response from so many diverse people all singularly of a mind that he was a splendid individual. A blessed person to have touched so many so easily. A shame I never knew them.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:59 am

Rod was one of the best of us, and that's all I've got to say about that.

Putrid Kitten

Post by Putrid Kitten » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:57 pm

I loved Rod.
Rest in peace, friend. :(
Meow meow meow - Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Man, ...

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 pm

I have no words. None that would do this justice, anyway. :(

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:57 am

I never got the chance to play with Rodent much, or if I did, it was in secret on an alias account, but my heart breaks for the loss to the server. The impact he left was palpable from afar. My condolences to his family and all of us here who were closer to him than I was. Its not easy losing a friend you've come close to here in our community. May he know peace now.
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

HallowedScars

Post by HallowedScars » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:01 am

Not to dredge the thread back up, but only just found out about it. Really a shame, didn't know him as long as many of the others here but the small adventures we had together and the chats we had OOC were both very nice. Very creative guy, shocked when I learned about this. Best wishes to his family and friends.