Rodent

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

LichBait

Re: Rodent

Post by LichBait » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Oh man, that's terrible news. :( Thoughts go out to his family. He played some great characters, and he's going to be missed here.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Prarabdh was very much part of the Arelith family, with a strong history on our server, he was also a member of staff, under the name DM Temerity.

We last spoke back in March when we talked about his adding creatures to the module, and I know there are some NPCs out there that he had already worked upon. A truly creative mind, and someone who really sought to improve Arelith for everyone, either as an excellent and inclusive roleplayer or as a committed member of the team.

It's hard to say we really 'know' someone from our interactions in this pretend world of ours, but that of him which I did know, the person I interacted with over the last 2 years left a very positive impression.

I can only guess how some of his closest friends in Arelith are feeling right now, and know there are few words of comfort I can offer at this time. We've lost someone significant and I can see that many of us are as shocked by this news.

It is a strange and deeply saddening feeling deleting someone as a contact under such cirmcunstances, but all I can really say is that Arelith will remember, just as I shall.

Farewell.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:27 pm

This is deeply saddening to hear. Rodent was one of the most interactive, inclusive & creative members of our community. It's clear he's impacted a large majority of us through all his many character iterations. I rarely gain attachment to people on an online forum, much like Joe mentioned, but Prarabdh left a living legacy on everyone he talked with - as this topic clearly shows.

Farewell, my friend.

AnselHoenheim
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by AnselHoenheim » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm

I can't even find the right words for saying this, Prarabdh, or, as he was known here as Rodent, was an incredible roleplayer, and somebody who were trustable to talk, and he will be missed in this community, and always remembered.

I'm raising my glass right now, for the memory of one of the most incredible roleplayers that this community have produced, Prarabdh....Thank you and good bye.

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:00 pm

I only had only one interaction with Paerlyn right before Rodent rolled her.
And i felt that this player is really someone who cares about the enjoyment and values the time of other players. All this time, i was waiting for him to roll a new character. He will be missed.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Metzinsoft

Post by Metzinsoft » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:16 pm

I still have PMs from last year from Rodent explained to me how he wanted Shallan to look in this drawing. If I had played again more recently, he's one of the people I would have sought out to team up with again. :(

I'll miss you, Rodent!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 pm

I knew Rodent mostly through my Dm side, as a fellow DM, and he was a delight to work with. He had a really bright enthusiasm that just shone out of his work. He was passoinate, fun, and outgoing. He egged me on to do the craziest things and was just a fantastic chap. He used to send me little vids of people dancing. That he's no longer with us makes me very sad indeed.

He will be missed.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I didn't know Rodent, but I certainly knew OF Rodent, in the way you might know about a skilled musician or author. I'd see his characters roaming about and knew that he was more than just having fun, he was building fun with other people.

I'm sorry that I never got to play with you much, Prarabdh, but I'll remember your name.

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:30 pm

A request for everyone. Please do not remove Phaerlyn's statues in Andunor.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Manticore

Post by Manticore » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:33 pm

I'm still in shock. Just complete, utter shock. He'd been away for a bit but I was sure he'd be back soon. Even sent him a message on discord hoping things were going well just a few days ago...

I'd gamed and told stories with Rod since 2012, across a few other games and communities, and even though we both took breaks and got busy from time to time it always just felt like things would pick right back up again whenever we next had the time for gaming again. Despite the fact that we lived on opposite sides of the planet, I really did get to know the guy as well as many of my RL friends.

One thing I can say for certain is that he would've appreciated the many notes left here in his memory. He invested a lot of time into this place and really felt he'd found a long-term home here in this community, which was something he really valued.

For my part, I'll forever keep and cherish some of the wonderful times we had together over the last five years. Rest in peace, Prarabdh. I'm the better for having known you.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:45 pm

I've been sat here for a couple of hours just trying to think of what I want to say. Rodent was an excellent roleplayer, and moreover a good friend. We used to nerd out about LOTR and Blind Guardian together. I wasn't as close to him as some of you, but he was a good friend and he's going to be sorely missed.

I wanted to leave this here too.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:52 pm

No...

I'm...I don't know how to handle this. Rodent and I were good friends here. We talked often, and shared memes. I'll forever cherish the months of RP our PCs had together, and his advice and insight on the discords. He was the one that helped me lose my unerring racist hatred of indian people I developed by working in the service industry. I'll forever thank him for that.

I'm going to take Phaerlyn's statues and put them behind closed doors to protect them from griefers in this time of mourning until the staff decides if there is going to be some kind of memorial.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Dean

Post by Dean » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I am saddened. I did not know Rodent exceptionally well but we used to trade memes and jokes. He always seemed like a cool guy and even though I didn't know him personally I am saddened by the thought that he is gone.

Farewell.

The Salt Elemental

Post by The Salt Elemental » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:57 pm

It's heartbreaking to hear this news this morning. I wasn't as close to him as some of you likely were but I did share more than a few good moments joking around or nerding out with him. In my short time or rping and interacting with him, he was a pretty chill dude. I wish I'd gotten to know him better. Though I didn't know him as personally as some of you, I have recently experienced the death of someone close, and this really hits home.
Losing someone is never easy, and there is never anything right you can say. Never anything personal or intimate enough to ease the pain of someone you care about or love. That's because there isn't much you can say. Because death isn't something we should have to death with, but do. Rodent was a well liked and established member of the community. And likely, his rp and his time here on the server will be immortalized- or at least I hope.
I will keep those who were close with this amazing human in my prayers and thoughts. My heart goes out to all of you.
"We rise and we fall
and we break
and we make our mistakes
and if there's a reason
I'm still alive
when so many have died,
then I'm willing' to wait for it."

A little fellow

Post by A little fellow » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Devastating.

RIP
Lovin' you is easy 'cause you're dutiful

The Salt Elemental

Post by The Salt Elemental » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Durvayas wrote:No...

I'm...I don't know how to handle this. Rodent and I were good friends here. We talked often, and shared memes. I'll forever cherish the months of RP our PCs had together, and his advice and insight on the discords. He was the one that helped me lose my unerring racist hatred of indian people I developed by working in the service industry. I'll forever thank him for that.

I'm going to take Phaerlyn's statues and put them behind closed doors to protect them from griefers in this time of mourning until the staff decides if there is going to be some kind of memorial.
It is best to not touch them and let the dms handle it. Leave them where rodent placed them please.
"We rise and we fall
and we break
and we make our mistakes
and if there's a reason
I'm still alive
when so many have died,
then I'm willing' to wait for it."

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:04 pm

The Salt Elemental wrote:
Durvayas wrote:No...

It is best to not touch them and let the dms handle it. Leave them where rodent placed them please.
You beat me to it, thank you.

METAL BAWKSES

Post by METAL BAWKSES » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:05 pm

This is honestly shocking to me. Like other folks I'm sort of struggling to find proper words. I used to do a lot with Rodent for some time, when I was playing on the server. Unfortunately lost contact with him when I fell off the radar myself, and I hadn't even realized his extended absence hadn't simply been me not seeing him because I was gone too. Rodent was an awesome guy, I only knew him so well outside of the game. We talked a bit, nearly every day for a small while. He was an absolute blast to rp with too. He even shared some writing that hadn't been related to Arelith with me. I'm honestly glad I got to meet him and got to spend days on days for a couple months roleplaying with him. My thoughts go out to him, the community and his loved ones.
Active: Actually playing something again!
Hiatus:
Another wild mage
Inactive: Colette Fletcher
Colette Melchiott
Dhaun'stra
Sile
Fiore Vasari

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Durvayas wrote:I'm going to take Phaerlyn's statues and put them behind closed doors to protect them from griefers in this time of mourning until the staff decides if there is going to be some kind of memorial.
Please leave the statues where they are. I have already saved the copies onto my DM avatar to prevent grief. They deserve to be seen and not hidden.

As for Rodent, all I can say is that they are family. Whether an individual knew them or didn't, we are all family here and it is with heavy heart that we acknowledge we lost a member of our family.

I had known Rodent mostly IC, but had few moments OOC that were usually joking or planning the next step in ensuring we interacted further. And, all those memories will stay with myself and be taken forward.

Rodent provided excellent roleplay and character development, to which I took to heart and then began to focus my own characters around - the growth, the nature of presentation and the enjoyment they provided them. They were a role model.

To their family, friends and loved ones, you have my condolences. Rodent brought with them a lot of players, their own family into our own. But, they soon made everyone their family without prejudice or judgement.

And, in moments of tragedy in our community, we all focus on what is important - our family. We forget the bickering, OOC disputes, and band together for what is important - our cohesive selves working together, remembering together and feeling as one. Let us not lose our memories of the player, their contributions or their spirit as it will forever be etched in us as we play and breathe.

You are missed.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:12 pm

DM Spyre wrote:
Durvayas wrote:I'm going to take Phaerlyn's statues and put them behind closed doors to protect them from griefers in this time of mourning until the staff decides if there is going to be some kind of memorial.
Please leave the statues where they are. I have already saved the copies onto my DM avatar to prevent grief. They deserve to be seen and not hidden.

As for Rodent, all I can say is that they are family. Whether an individual knew them or didn't, we are all family here and it is with heavy heart that we acknowledge we lost a member of our family.

I had known Rodent mostly IC, but had few moments OOC that were usually joking or planning the next step in ensuring we interacted further. And, all those memories will stay with myself and be taken forward.

Rodent provided excellent roleplay and character development, to which I took to heart and then began to focus my own characters around - the growth, the nature of presentation and the enjoyment they provided them. They were a role model.

To their family, friends and loved ones, you have my condolences. Rodent brought with them a lot of players, their own family into our own. But, they soon made everyone their family without prejudice or judgement.

And, in moments of tragedy in our community, we all focus on what is important - our family. We forget the bickering, OOC disputes, and band together for what is important - our cohesive selves working together, remembering together and feeling as one. Let us not lose our memories of the player, their contributions or their spirit as it will forever be etched in us as we play and breathe.

You are missed.

Already grabbed them, but I"ll put them back. You got it boss.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Though I didn't know this player well, he was by many accounts a cool cat.

Best wishes.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Shallan taught Bok when to and when not to bites bado homins.

Will definitely be missed, and a glass of single malt to his memory. Cheers
Yes I can sign

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:25 pm

All statues returned to their original positions. May they stand eternal, as his memory will.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Although he almost certainly didn't know it at the time, Rodent's in-game play and his ample OOC willingness to nerd out with me over history or books or Darkest Dungeon or how to fix rangers were one of the major contributing factors to my return to the server after my most recent hiatus. Arelith, at the time, was still a very mixed bag for me (as happens from time to time) and I wasn't sure the fun I'd have would be worth the potential grief I'd be exposing myself to. Rodent tipped things pretty heavily towards the fun side, and I ended up sticking with a character for the first time since early last year in part because of him.

I went on vacation towards the end of June this summer. When I returned in August, I noticed that he had gone missing, but assumed, as I think most people did, that he would be back any day, as always seems to happen with friends here.

This news, needless to say, has been difficult, but thank you, Joe, for sharing it with us.

Goodbye ranger-friend. You'll be missed.

Borgian Oligarchy

Post by Borgian Oligarchy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Tragic.