Paladin War and Destruction Suggestion

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dean

Paladin War and Destruction Suggestion

Post by Dean » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:37 am

So I wrote a quick suggestion:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14069&p=117328#p117328

About changing giving paladins War and Destruction for any god they worship, the thread itself goes into specifics but I was told to make a thread here. If this is the wrong place for it I do apologize!

So what are your thoughts, should paladins gain WaD for any deity?
Do you agree, do you disagree?

The Patriarchy

Re: Paladin War and Destruction Suggestion

Post by The Patriarchy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:33 am

I absolutely agree.

Deities who support paladins but don't have those general ethics should get this as a bonus. It might make some even better but it allows for the holy warrior orders of specific faiths to basically be on par with everyone else and perhaps encourages variety as well as maintaining the uniqueness to those deities.

pls happen
I love elven communism.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:37 am

Good idea 10/10

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Well, I don't want to sort of detract from your point but I think this is a band-aid fix to the rather hackneyed deity system in the first place.

I'd rather that your choice of deity be unfettered by mechanics, being simply a choice you make for roleplay -- perhaps a system of "choosing your aspect" could be implemented, so say a Shar worshipper could choose the aspect of War & Destruction, or simply leave the default of Magic and Trickery.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:50 pm

gilescorey wrote:Well, I don't want to sort of detract from your point but I think this is a band-aid fix to the rather hackneyed deity system in the first place.

I'd rather that your choice of deity be unfettered by mechanics, being simply a choice you make for roleplay -- perhaps a system of "choosing your aspect" could be implemented, so say a Shar worshipper could choose the aspect of War & Destruction, or simply leave the default of Magic and Trickery.
Piety needs a lot of work. I agree with the above, and further handing W&D to all paladins undermines what the Aspects are meant to achieve.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Dean

Post by Dean » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:56 am

Of course the whole system needs work but not having a War and Destruction deity actively punishes paladins.

Unless the paladin wants to waste time at a shrine, carry around more than what is needed of medical bags, or spend gold just so they can use their feats. They are warriors, not healers, crusaders and warriors.

It is a band-aid, yeah, but one that I think is needed until the whole system gets overhauled. If it does.

This would also lessen some of the impact from the fact that more than a few of the listed deities have the incorrect classification or are missing one classification.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 pm

As a player of a paladin that worshiped a hearth and home deity.. yes please

Stath

Post by Stath » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 am

gilescorey wrote: I'd rather that your choice of deity be unfettered by mechanics, being simply a choice you make for roleplay -- perhaps a system of "choosing your aspect" could be implemented, so say a Shar worshipper could choose the aspect of War & Destruction, or simply leave the default of Magic and Trickery.
This would actually be pretty dope.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm

gilescorey wrote:Well, I don't want to sort of detract from your point but I think this is a band-aid fix to the rather hackneyed deity system in the first place.

This would likely solve a few issues like why are there no gnome magic deities or why is Disapater not a war deity?
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice