Hurricane Irma thread

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Commie

Hurricane Irma thread

Post by Commie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 pm

EDIT; UPDATED TRACKS. If you are on the east coast of the US OR ANYWHERE IN FLORIDA be prepared.

EVACUATIONS HAVE BEEN ORDERED AND ARE UNDERWAY. IF YOU ARE TOLD TO LEAVE, LEAVE.

Evacuation orders all over, too many to list now. Be ready to go when your call comes.

Evacing soon after this, good luck friends.

This is the 'official' track with least guessing involved. All projections below this, take with a grain of salt. Assume what's on the NHC as accurate in terms of prep/planning.

Less accurate projections;

EU

Currently showing a direct FL hit.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... s=0&ypos=0

US

Currently showing a direct FL hit.

With the storm either riding one of the coasts or just plowing up the middle of the state, it's going to be very hard to predict where you should evacuate to, as anywhere you go (besides far north out of state) could be hit, don't evac into an area that may be hit harder if you can avoid it.

Pay attention to local warnings and news, evacuate if they say to. Plan and buy what you need now. Remember your pets need supplies too.

This may hit as a CATEGORY 5 hurricane that makes direct landfall, so please try and avoid riding out 170 mph winds in your house made of wood because you didn't evac when they said to because it worked for Andrew/Matthew or whatever.

Other tips;

1. Charge that phone.
2. Food, water, meds. Keep in mind it can be a felony to have some prescriptions stored in anything other then their actual bottle so don't pack those SMTWTFS pill bottles, if you have to evac have the stuff in the actual bottles they came in.
3. If you are riding it out, before the storm hits fill your bathtubs with water and get a bucket handy. If water goes out you can use that water to flush the toilet. Only flush when you need to.
4. If you can't afford supplies or everything is out by the time you hit the store, fill tupperware with tap water and store it.
5. Know where your important documents are and consider putting them in water-proof bags and then those bags in something you can grab and go with.
6. Plan now what you're taking and leaving if you have to leave. Make a video of the stuff in your house and explain what items are for your insurance, later. Upload the video as a private YT video so if you lose everything you can still log onto google and make your insurance claim.
7. Board or tape your windows.
8. You have the time to get ready. Don't be "Florida man trapped on roof during 150 mph wind gusts."
Last edited by Commie on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 24 times in total.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Hurricane Irma thread

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Look after yourselves guys. Stay in touch.

WhiskeyGuy

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Commie wrote:https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 0&ypos=114

Current track as of now has a general consensus of riding up Florida after a Key-West or Miami impact.

State of Emergency was declared a few hours ago for the whole state.

I just went to the store for supplies and despite being 140+ hours out the place was running low on food/water. Lots of people had the same idea as almost everyone in the store had lots of cans and water.

With the storm either riding one of the coasts or just plowing up the middle of the state, it's going to be very hard to predict where you should evacuate to, as anywhere you go (besides far north out of state) could be hit, don't evac into an area that may be hit harder if you can avoid it.

Pay attention to local warnings and news, evacuate if they say to. Plan and buy what you need now. Remember your pets need supplies too.

This may hit as a CATEGORY 5 hurricane that makes direct landfall, so please try and avoid riding out 170 mph winds in your house made of wood because you didn't evac when they said to because it worked for Andrew/Matthew or whatever.

Other tips;

1. Charge that phone.
2. Food, water, meds. Keep in mind it can be a felony to have some prescriptions stored in anything other then their actual bottle so don't pack those SMTWTFS pill bottles, if you have to evac have the stuff in the actual bottles they came in.
3. If you are riding it out, before the storm hits fill your bathtubs with water and get a bucket handy. If water goes out you can use that water to flush the toilet. Only flush when you need to.
4. If you can't afford supplies or everything is out by the time you hit the store, fill tupperware with tap water and store it.
5. Know where your important documents are and consider putting them in water-proof bags and then those bags in something you can grab and go with.
6. Plan now what you're taking and leaving if you have to leave. Make a video of the stuff in your house and explain what items are for your insurance, later. Upload the video as a private YT video so if you lose everything you can still log onto google and make your insurance claim.
7. Board or tape your windows.
8. You have the time to get ready. Don't be "Florida man trapped on roof during 150 mph wind gusts."
Commie, good advice. Here's hoping it doesn't hit us. Sadly, not hitting us means hitting someone else... so... yeah, that sucks too.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm

If it hits this is my first hurricane as I'm in this area and I confess I'm a little scared. These tips help.
Please don't feed my sister.

DM Wish

Post by DM Wish » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:19 pm

To all effected - best wishes are sent. No matter what happens stay safe - all of you, feys included.

Meliboeus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Meliboeus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Good luck and stay safe.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:40 pm

My local store is all out of water already. :/

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Good luck out there let us hope it won't be all to bad.

Doom Desire

Post by Doom Desire » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:28 pm

DM Titania wrote:My local store is all out of water already. :/
I'll hope everyone in that region stays safe, and give my best wishes! <Stuff goes fast in a crisis>. I'll pray for all yer safety~. Titania you also gotta stay safe, I still gotta feed your sister!

Arithel 98

Post by Arithel 98 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Titania where at in Florida are you? I'm in homestead (right above the Keys) and if you need anything just ask. Also guys get on amazon prime and get the Kaito 6 way NoAA radio so you can charge your smartphones/power some small devices, and most importantly get up to date information you may not otherwise have. https://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA550-Powe ... B00IP046E8

Fill up tub/Tupperware with water for pets/yourself.
Use up perishables now and stock freezer with bags of water and ice to keep it cold as long as possible

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Those bags can also be defrosted for more clean water!

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Irma is going to hit my home in less than 24hrs (Puerto Rico)

Trajectory projections so far are around 50 miles from San Juan with winds of 175 miles/hr and guess where I do live?

This Hurricane is going to test us all for sure
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Arithel 98

Post by Arithel 98 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:33 am

Stay as safe as possible friend

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:13 am

If you can be confirmed by ppl here as 'cool' and are in the tampa bay area and want to go north with me and my family you can either #convoy up with me and follow in your car and hit up our hotel in the panhandle we have reservations for, if you're totally Snuggle a Bugbear and people can vouch for you being super cool I have a spot in my car for you. I dont need payment adding one more person doesn't change enough. keep in mind if tampa bay gets utterly decimated we may not be going back south.

Atm 2 cars 2 ppl 1 doggo (papillon) 2 cats. if you opt to ride you will be in a car with animals in carriers.

if we leave we leave friday. yes picking up an internet stranger is as odd for me as it is for you but if it's gonna be a cat 4/5 hit you have better odds with the stranger and his family then being 20 feet above sea-level in a 30 foot storm surge

no pets from you (already pushing hotel limit), travel as light as possible, aka clothes, laptop, etc. no illegal materials. legal guns are fine.

send pm or post. I did the same thing with Matthew on Amia when it happened.
Last edited by Commie on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:38 am

Also this is a really amazing site.

Check out that wind speed!

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:21 am

Don't forget to wear your booties.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 am

Euro updated, now matches the US prediction.

http://i.imgur.com/Cg3QRgr.gif

https://i.imgur.com/A2MRH4C.png

Given the sharp north this is far from 'safe.' The cone of error is huge and 200 miles is a lot of variance.

OP updated.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:58 pm

My local gas station has sold out of gas.

Is it just a station now?

Arithel 98

Post by Arithel 98 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Keep checking around for Gas, governor's ordered more gas into Florida. 11AM updates showing a more eastward trend but the cone of uncertainty still remains, the storm winds extend as wide as the southern tip of Florida from Naples to Miami.

Mirw

Post by Mirw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I have relatives in Florida... :(
"Burn Them All!"
Plays as Ret, the pyromaniac tribal wargob

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:07 pm

New track.

http://i.imgur.com/WNnDhLG.png

Evacs being called.
Leave if you're in the zones.

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:20 pm

One last chart before work

https://i.imgur.com/s1nXEzv.png

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Live stream from the islands.

https://www.facebook.com/titohernandezr ... =3&theater

If you're in FL and in the cone HAVE A PLAN. Don't tough it out because you were fine during Matthew/Andrew.

Edit; Link is possibly NWS or NLS I just watched a bus tip over and people disappear, blown into the fog just behind them. Yikes.