Kensai Update

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cortex

Re: Kensai Update

Post by Cortex » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 am

It means they have no speed bonuses. They get a bonus from monk, barbarian, haste and expeditious retreat as normal.
:)

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:02 am

Perhaps it could be made to grandfather old characters?

Im sorry for this :(
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 am

Diilicious wrote: Im sorry for this :(
i should have you quartered for that

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 am

I'm quite happy for my old kensai to receive these new upgrades, sure it's slightly less movement speed, but it's an upgrade everywhere else, actually feels like the path isn't useless now.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:29 am

Haste works as per the spell, but its no longer an ability.

It's not silghtly less movement speed, It's a lot less.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 am

I think the kensai path is stronger then it ever has been, Perma freedom of movement 1 free full bab attack, all potions. But I can see how it damages current toons, as the speed and +10 disc was what attracted many.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:53 am

ok just reviewed the update with my toon.

for those who dont know, we always had freedom of movement with the four immunities, entangle slow etc, no gain there

no listen bonus
no ac bonus actually it took away my armor skin bonus as well
no added attack
no perma haste
-10 discipline

we need a little help here, this is why people are saying toons are nerfed
Yes I can sign

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 am

The extra APR won't show in the sheet. And I'm playing a kensai character myself who had old bonuses before, to make sure everything would go as normal, which has, for me anyway.

Can you provide a screenshot with your skills, AC (unarmored, with all feats and bonuses that would give you AC)? If not here, via PM.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 am

yeah have to go back in game to get them
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 am

i checked ac in full armor with shield and helm as well and its back to the pre level 21 when i took armorskin for that first 2 point boost
Yes I can sign

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:27 am

To add to this, I get what Cortex says about a "flat" upgrade, but I think many of us preferred the +10 Discipline and Haste.

While few will understand this angle, I chose kensai so I wouldn't HAVE to slug potions. I wanted to play a character free from the magic-snorting, VFX covered, typical adventurer. Kensai gave you that option, with significant drawbacks, in a way that allowed you not to totally suck. While I think the RP angle is the highroad on this topic, my RP also heavily intersected with these personal choices.

I really liked where kensai was before the update. I felt they escaped "trap class status" but still had enough drawback to make the alternatives attractive. While I can see the allure of the new class, much of my impetus to play one has evaporated.

I've got plenty of magic-snorting, potion sluggers lying about to play if the urge strikes me.
Last edited by RedGiant on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:44 am

You could still abstain from potion slugging? This change has attracted me to kensai when prior it was wholly abhorrent.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:03 am

Post change, you're a tiny bit weaker if you don't use potions. And a lot stronger if you do.

If you don't want to use potions, you don't have to use potions. Really, you don't have to! No one is making you drink the potions.

Now, everyone can choose whether or not they want to drink potions, which is a win-win for everyone.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:43 am

Yes but the loss of speed also makes it infinitely more squishy if you don't. The survivability plummets. It really is a whole different class/play style now. Obviously intentional on your part, which I don't mind for balance reasons, yet I will forever bang the gong for rebuilds and or grandfathering in respect of player investment.

*signed the Arelith Ombudsman*
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:02 am

Here is my problem:

First kensais had permahaste
then the haste was nerfed
Then it went back to full perma haste
Now its removed again

Something as powerful as haste totally changes the clas every time you ad or remove it. I feel like I have been punished for using a class feature that the devs added to begin with. Because I made a toon specifically that Incorporated the plus and minuses of kensai at the time. Now that the class is totally different it is no longer appropriate for my toon. It wasn't just a change, it was a complete change in what the class is. That's why some of us feel like our toons were ruined.

Rebuilding would not help even if I were asking for it (which I am not). Because you cannot remove something like kensai from your toon by relevelling. You have to make a whole new toon. THis is not a small thing.

At this point I will never make another kensai. I can't make a toon based on a clas that keeps changing what it is.

That is why I ask to please make up your minds what you want from kensai and present it in a manner we can understand. Right now, I feel that is not the case.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 am

Kensai will not be seeing a significant overhaul in the future. There may be tweaks, but no significant overhaul.

I understand your frustration. I really do. But to be perfectly candid, giving kensai full haste speed was a mistake to begin with.

This change had to happen. It was inevitable, as that version of the path would never be possible to balance in a meaningful way. It was a dead end and a trap that lingered for newer players.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:13 am

Rest in peace.. oh old-Kensei path, you delicious and desirable trap.. for i will forever wiggle in your fangs and moan in pleasure for the good times you offered me...

At least iam fortunate enough that i can retake epic skill focus discipline at lvl 30 instead of improved kd. but that's just poor luck i admit. and i too invested in spot rather then listen. urgh

Time to micromanage my inventory again with loads of potions as i have done so on other toons.. the pain... the pain...

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:46 am

As an aside... assassins just got even worse than before, because there is now yet another entire class of characters completely immune to Death Attacks.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 am

Durvayas wrote:As an aside... assassins just got even worse than before, because there is now yet another entire class of characters completely immune to Death Attacks.
Kensai have had freedom of movement since January.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 am

Ah... nevermind then. I must have missed that.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Gulddrengen

Post by Gulddrengen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:07 pm

I can only refer to RedGiant's posts. I specifically made my kensai for the movement speed and no magic theme (including potions), both mechanically and in regards to the RP. Played two kensai to late epics and it's been very enjoyable. I think it should've only affected new characters.

Is there no chance old kensai chars could be grandfathered or we get a chance for a rebuild?
Last edited by Gulddrengen on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kaymon24

Post by Kaymon24 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Kensai can now use Truestrike potions? Mwahahahaha!

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Gulddrengen wrote:I can only refer to RedGiant's posts. I specifically made my kensai for the movement speed and no magic theme (including potions), both mechanically and in regards to the RP. Played two kensai to late epics and it's been very enjoyable. I think it should've only affected new characters.

Is there no chance old kensai chars could be grandfathered or we get a chance for a rebuild?
+∞

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:24 pm

I don't want my kensai to be grandfathered. Go away. I like the new system. You chug one haste potion and you're as good as you were before. This allows the rest og us to not suck though, and be viable in PvP/higher PvE

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Jack Oat wrote:I don't want my kensai to be grandfathered. Go away. I like the new system. You chug one haste potion and you're as good as you were before. This allows the rest og us to not suck though, and be viable in PvP/higher PvE
Better than you were before!