How do we promote the server?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Fidelkoven

How do we promote the server?

Post by Fidelkoven » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:43 am

Now that we have these fine promotion materials since the new website has been launched, are there any attempts or strategies how we can promote the server systemically and get a new flow of fresh players? Not that it is not already great, but Arelith deserves it. I know it is a two sided sword and remember the times when we were at server limits a decade ago.

What about youtube channels that cover rpg/roleplay or dedicated rpg forums which we can contact or post on? I guess spreading the word to friends is something we all have done already ;)
I recently made a suggestion of mentioning Arelith to a german rpg youtube channel (since thats my origin) but it was not yet successful unfortunately.

The Little Dragon
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: How do we promote the server?

Post by The Little Dragon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Arelith is thriving, especially for how long this game has been, from about 2005. The forum is great and the server is excellent. There is no where this server is going wrong. I may be biased, but I cant stress enough how excellent it is.

the only thing i suggest is handing out Nwn from GoG.com to your friends. Remember to remind them to get the multiplayer key from the maintenance team there and they should be good to go. You could also try telling your facebook friends and other social media sites about it too. Beyond that, there is little else we can do. Though there are always other suggestions to be had.

Here is the link.
https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_ni ... nd_edition

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:01 am

Spray paint the Arelith Webpage URL on a public building

Don't Do that
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

The Little Dragon

Post by The Little Dragon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:58 pm

There you go, that works too.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:19 pm

DM Always This Late wrote:Spray paint the Arelith Webpage URL on a public building

Don't Do that
Arelith DMs: Denouncing bad player conduct while promoting illegal actions since 2004.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 am

i flood the DnD pages on facebook with the url, especially when i see players asking about places to play
Yes I can sign

Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Terminal_Templari » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Post in the NWN Subreddit :) I've done this.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:56 pm

I can't really stress enough how crucial I find promotion. Arelith is a great environment, and I feel that if what we have here was more widely known by those who would enjoy it, we would have many more players than we do now.

And, well, more players just opens up far more possibilties. In addition to a more vibrant world we can consider things like a second city in the Underdark, or a rival to Cordor.

By and large, in the past, we have attracted players from within the NwN community, and both I and Artos felt that we had to do more more to attract conventional D&D players who may not otherwise be able to find a session to join.

Arelith already has a great many players, and given they play in so many different countries, we essentially have a significant potential reach if those players get directly involved in 'spreading the word'

As I said on the main web page, and elsewhere on the forums, there are ways I feel promotion can be handled, and I'll detail a few here.

Local RPG Shops/Groups

If you don't know where they are do a web search and find out. Get in touch (or better pop buy) and ask them about having fliers for Arelith. Many of these shops also serve as the venue for RPG meets, and one could likely find a D&D group at many of them who may also be interested.

If the owner says its okay to have fliers there, print of a bunch and drop them round. Obviously its easier for me if those interested do all of this themselves, but if any of you do get their permission to flier Arelith there you can contact me with the address and I will print and mail a bunch directly.

Social Media

The Arelith 'slate' linked to directly from our main web page is designed for this purpose. An easy to share link, that doesn't go into a lot of detail, aimed at simply promoting us.

Other Forums

We recently had promotion on a few popular RPG sites, and in each case I contacted their web admins for permission before doing so, and I would ask any players do the same thing when considering this. An off the cuff mention of Arelith is fine, but putting a full blown ad post up could often be considered in breach of site rules.

Please do not do this on forums belongiing to other NWN servers under any circumstances. We're not out to poach their players. One great strength of NwN is the variety of servers it can offer, and the decline of any single one is a bad things for all of us.

Conventions

I would love one to day to have enough donation money to actually directly man a promotion effort at a popular convention for RPG/Fantasy, but in the meaintime many of the smaller ones have desks where anyone can leave fliers. If you're a con going type, you may want to try this, but as before please ensure it is permitted before doing so.

Encourage your friends to play with you!

Obviously this is what most of us already do, but it does work. I must admit even I often avoided this while the old web-page was still in place, as it was almost immediately impossible to get across the quality of what we do here.

Really am grateful to anyone that does this though. Significant effort and promoting Arelith and I do tihnk the growth in players could be exponentional.

Also, as I said elsewhere, if you play from one of those countries that are outside of Arelith 'peak times', any effort to promote Arelith is especially appreciated. We would see a real difference if we could close the gap between the busy and quiet hours.

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 pm

The Little Dragon wrote:the only thing i suggest is handing out Nwn from GoG.com to your friends. Remember to remind them to get the multiplayer key from the maintenance team there and they should be good to go. You could also try telling your facebook friends and other social media sites about it too. Beyond that, there is little else we can do. Though there are always other suggestions to be had.

Here is the link.
https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_ni ... nd_edition
An excellent suggestion. A threat post on GOG is a good idea, since it is very dfficult to obtain copies of NWN otherwise.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.