Discord server

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Discord server

Post by Ork » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Discord for people who are courteous can be an awesome resource to bounce ideas of each other for concepts, discover new players outside of your typical circle, and discuss conflicts with each other in a less public venue.

It's pretty chill.

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:48 pm

So many memes.
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:40 pm

"Toxic" is just a fancy way of saying "Contemptuous". Or maybe less fancy on account of it being a shorter word.

How toxic a social venue can be is tied directly to how casually and reflexive contemptuous it is. The more frequently that contempt is pointed at a person or ideal a person holds as important, the less tolerable they are likely to find it.

So, yeah, if you're curious, pop in. You can review the chat history. If you're not bothered, annoyed, or put off by what you find, then you should be fine.

I am simply ancient, saltier than the Dead Sea on a Saturday, and possessed of a heart so fossilized that not even memes of the dankest, most chill order can cause it to feel anything. So...like. Like a Lich? Or a mummy nudist? Basically I'm a 6-foot tall strip of hateful beef jerky.

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:55 pm

I'm a Discord lurker, and a very special snowflake, and even I don't tend to see anything there that really shocks and offends me. People can be a tiny bit mean about absent people every so often, but they're usually far meaner to each other. Every so often I pick up a neat play tip, which I unfortunately then forget because I'm useless.

They do, however, spend a lot of the time doing the internet equivalent of flashing their butts at each other and guffawing at the wit of their own backsides. Sometimes, they actually manage to be slightly amusing while they are doing it.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 pm

It's pretty bad. Really. It's bad.
But hey, the builds and mechanics section is really good! People like Scurvy and Umskiptar really helped me out multiple times. Use the tag @git gud and you will get some amazing advices.

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely consider it at my earliest convenience.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:08 am

Aodh Lazuli wrote:
CragOrion wrote:I'd advise against joining the main Arelith Discord channel. It gets pretty toxic in there. Its usually better to wait till you join a faction or make some friends and join their discord instead
Toxicity and people disagreeing with you are not the same thing, Crag.
Not at all what I was saying, Aodh. I'm talking about ppl being outright offensive/insulting and having bad attitudes. Sometimes it's towards you and sometimes it's towards ppl that aren't even there. You know, toxic. The word I actually used.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:53 am

I think you misunderstand my use of the word disagree in this context... I meant it more in the way someone's digestion might 'disagree' with certain foods.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:36 am

Does the phone app work like the computer application? Or ia it computer based only?
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:41 am

Aero Silver wrote:Does the phone app work like the computer application? Or ia it computer based only?
Yeah, mobile discord works in much the same way as the desktop version... I find it tends to kill the battery on my phone, though.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

DreadKnight Cuddles

Post by DreadKnight Cuddles » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Ah I see. Sorry about the confusion, discords existence was mentioned on Shout and initially having not used discord before after asking about it I thought the channel posted and the group thing were the same thing.

Just handy to have just in case, I'm not much of a poster on things like that.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Aodh Lazuli wrote:I think you misunderstand my use of the word disagree in this context... I meant it more in the way someone's digestion might 'disagree' with certain foods.
You're talking about incompatibility. Well if ppl on discord "disagree" or are incompatable with me because I expect others to be respectful or polite to each other, then it only furthers my point.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Discord is super toxic, Arelith is the best because it limits OOC player interaction. Discord just magnifies the club mentality.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Discord is actually less toxic than tells in game are, for the most part.
Granted mob mentality is a thing.

For the ones that have never been to the Discord server, try it before you shy it.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Before I heard about Discord, I thought two characters standing next to each other all silent meant that they were cybering.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Opustus wrote:Before I heard about Discord, I thought two characters standing next to each other all silent meant that they were cybering.
Nothing is stopping them from cybering in Discord. :oops:

disclaimer: dont do this
:)

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:25 pm

The discord was worse a few months ago (before a similar thread like this came up) but since then, the mods have done a good job keeping it pretty reasonable.

I've never believed the narrative that limiting OOC interaction is a good thing. It's a good way to build a community and role-playing trust in fellow players.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Cortex wrote:disclaimer: dont do this
disclaimer: dont listen to cortex

we waiting you!

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Opustus wrote:Before I heard about Discord, I thought two characters standing next to each other all silent meant that they were cybering.
Because of this, I get super anxious when I'm alone with another PC in what could be considered an intimate setting and neither of us has said anything for a while.

Oh god, DMs, please don't assume the worst! xD
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:56 pm

Aodh Lazuli wrote:I think you misunderstand my use of the word disagree in this context... I meant it more in the way someone's digestion might 'disagree' with certain foods.

Cotdammit elizabeth
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:53 pm

gilescorey wrote:
Cortex wrote:disclaimer: dont do this
disclaimer: dont listen to cortex

we waiting you!
In the test chamber.

Stath

Post by Stath » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Convene the council of elders
Shut it down
The normies know
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?