Help Noob Get the Started in UD This Weekend.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

TheLegendOfNope

Help Noob Get the Started in UD This Weekend.

Post by TheLegendOfNope » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:37 pm

I've had this game since the day it came out, and after a long break I can't find anything to replace nwn. I'm pretty rusty, however I've been enjoying the expanded features of this server.

I really like the drow and the underdark setting, and I've been trying to figure out what classes are in demand or underplayed in order to make something useful. After seeing postings on the message board outside of Hub that seem to indicate a need for melee characters I made one... only to see a message asking for clerics (And something called a seer?) soon after.

I suppose I'm wondering what the drow houses and underdark really need from a noob. I can play almost any class that Isn't a bard. I can play clerics if I can build them as casters. I really dislike the typical buff-n-yolo battle-clerics. I feel confident in the cleric mechanics, but I'm rusty on the rp side as I've never played a cleric on an rp server.

Since it's nearing the weekend I thought I'd get some input and get a character going. If anyone else is interested in grouping a bunch of low levels this weekend that would be great as well. Grinding solo gets soul-crushing after a while.

(Also what is a seer? Divination caster?)

Gods_Kill_People

Re: Help Noob Get the Started in UD This Weekend.

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Priestesses of Lolth are always in demand....just saying, ( and yes, Divination is a seer )

TheLegendOfNope

Post by TheLegendOfNope » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Is the seer an arcane or divine caster?

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Can be either or really, a Priestess can be focused on Divination, as much as a wizard.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:54 pm

A seer can be either a divine or arcane caster, though, the one seer in the Forgotten Realms settings whose prophecies consistently came to pass was an arcane caster, Alaundo, the chosen of Savras.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:05 pm

The Temple of Lolth in Andunor has had both arcane and divine Seers in the not too distant past. If your character qualifies, you can get the position with roleplay fairly easily(the character in question must be a drow).
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:13 pm

TheLegendOfNope wrote:I've had this game since the day it came out, and after a long break I can't find anything to replace nwn.
-Mass Effect
-Exercise
-Community Service
-RL relationships
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Current Archpriestess checking in -

We always need priestesses, and they need not be of Lolth. priestesses of Kiaransalee and priests of Selvetarm are welcome. Seeresses can currently be either divine or arcane, we dgaf, we just welcome the people.
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:28 pm

What are the minimum requirements to qualify for priestess position? Just the ability to cast 9th level spells?

Also, mechanically speaking, how does RP divination work with the Deck of Star? Playing Soothsayer gypsy is a great possibility. But how can a player really get hints or messages about the future?

Do DMs drop hints in tells about major scheduled events? *you see a burning town by the ocean and looters take over* reference to Wharftown's burning.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Class, not levels are all that's required.
Typically events are indicated in game or they can and do happen a bit randomly (although I find the weekends do have a higher chance of wild DM activity, however never hesitate to speak to them through the channel if you do have questions!) Typically though if you're in the vicinity you can see emotes of DM events, it really just depends on what's going on.

The deck of stars mechanical effect (as I understand it, not a diviner) does reveal aspects about other characters' activities [Redacted details of attunements--find out in game!] however other odd messages do come up as well. That being said you can certainly use a little more detail and imagination to roleplay fortunes and the like!
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:34 pm

I honestly don't check until you approach becoming a full Priestess. By then RP will allow us to see if you're a priestess or not. (mind, to advance you have to be....or be really super tricky. I am okay with either one.)
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:31 am

I should warn you that being a drow, let alone a priestess, can be difficult, THe UD is a hard knocks place and unforgiving as a setting. (Those of us who play down there are good folk however :)).

My recommendation? Whatever you choose to be, keep a low profile util you A) get to know the setting better and b) Are ready to make your move.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 pm

High Primate wrote: -Mass Effect
-Exercise
-Community Service
-RL relationships
I'm currently on this diet and it's 10/10

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:14 am

Honestly, if your RP is rusty I do not recommend you come back as a priestess. I say start as a commoner/male drow to ease yourself back into the drow RP and perhaps after that make a priestess of Lloth or one of her vassals.