Spawn's And Such {Collective Player Suggestions}

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Kashisjonny

Spawn's And Such {Collective Player Suggestions}

Post by Kashisjonny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:57 pm

I've had a few discussions today about spawn placements, either things not making sense or just being too powerful for the area. I'd like to gather everyones input from all three servers as to what they think should be changed and why.
I'll dig through the replies at some point and put them into one neat PM for Artos and whoever is dealing with spawns to study.

For the most part, let's just consider group sizes are in two or three to save arguement on groups versus soloing when it comes to trying to judge power scale of spawns.

For the ease of finding each monster, format your replies as below :
Monster name
Possible things it could be changed to

I have sent a few off already, but here is one to get us started that was just pointed out

Monster Name : giant lizard warrior
Locaction : Swamps, also in the lizard mound
Reasonings : these are spawning in a low level adventure area as tough monsters with a constant confuse bolt attack, whilst also being neutral aligned. Needs to be made a boss, preferably.
Wishes : Wall-E is Cyborg Jesus.

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Spawn's And Such {Collective Player Suggestions}

Post by RED GANOT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Hamatula Boss

Crystal Caves - Tribal Lair (or something to that effect)

It's been a while since I fought it, but I recall fighting it at level 14 or so. It had insane DR, SR, maybe regeneration, and all the other usual hamatula things. I recall the fight being nearly impossible.

Change it back to the ogre mage.
When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

Putrid Kitten

Post by Putrid Kitten » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:13 pm

This thread is going to be jam-packed with spoilers.

The end-boss of the kobold mines is completely untouchable by most groups.
Last edited by Putrid Kitten on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meow meow meow - Reconfigure F1-F12 easily

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Dunno if it's still about, buuut...

Monster Name: Deadly Swamp Viper
Reasoning: These have spawned from time to time when I've been in Swamp groups with a character (or characters) who are level 9+. At that point, they're still stupendously hard to kill with their E-Dodge, 50% concealment, and ~35 AC, have something like 39 AB themselves, and do poison/disease on hit.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Faye

Post by Faye » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:40 pm

There aren't enough Hags.

Monster name: Hags. Sea/Green/Night.
Location: Sea Hags spawned in sea locations! Night Hags spawned at night in the Abyss, or in the Sixth Layer of Baator. Green Hags spawned in dense forestry.
Reasoning: I think Hags are really really cool and would liven up an area (for example, a Green Hag and some cultists instead of the boss Mudling, or a powerful Green Hag instead of the Forest Ogre Elder!) Non-boss Sea Hags with a band of soulless Sirens would be interesting, attacking boats, and a lonely boss Night Hag would be perfect in the Fiendish layers.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

Daedin

Post by Daedin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:02 pm

I actualy want a new spawn:

Monster Name: Cordorian Blood Licker

Location: Wherever and whenever someone dies and a puddle of blood is left on the floor, there is a chance that the Blood Licker will crawl from whatever nether plane of darkness it inhabits, to consume said blood. Anyone too close to it will get attacked. And killed. Ands the resulting blood also licked.

Reasoning: To keep a long forgotten tradition alive.

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:08 pm

The Hamatula boss have some ways to be dealth with.
Agree on kobold caves boss. It's way too powerful for a group of the level of the mines, unless there are well planned builds in the group.
Vyper is a pain, but only if you relly on physical attacks.

I would love to see some random mobile bosses! Like, an adventurer group composed of monsters!

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Monster Name - Lobotomised Warrior
Location - Swamps/Lizard Temple
Reasoning -
From what I've seen and observed these guys are significantly more killy and hard to kill than anything that spawns along with them, and punch out a lot of damage. I'd like to see them kept inside the temple rather than brutually murdering people in the swamps. In addition, it seems odd there are ~So many~ human lobotomised lizard warriors compared to, ya know, actual lizard warriors.

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Monster Name : Devils In General
Reasonings : There are Demon's there, and the place is more Demon focused than Devil. Those two are natural enemies

Monster Name : Monolith's (Ice & Fire)
Reasonings : These things are incredibly boring and frustrating to fight. I know i'm not entirely alone in this, maybe there are quite a few people who enjoy them, i'd be interested to know how many. I'd prefer these types of creatures to be in their own dungeon, rather than just being these giant troll faces that just steel wall anyone trying to get by in two minutes of fighting an individual one.

Monster Name : Wolves
Reasoning's : Whilst Kaliyah was living in Soulhaven, she must have slaughtered every Wolf from Arelith to Neverwinter and back again. They spawn in massive groups. Just lowering the spawn rate but be good enough.

Got the below one from a friend.
Monster Name : Dark Gibberlings / Boss
Reasonings : they have much higher AC, AB and special abilities compared to skeletons in the Bonefield and reward the same xp . - So upping the EXP possibly would be good.

Monster Name : Urdlen Priest
Reasonings : Lower the Implode DC, I understand (Not sure) it sits around 25dc in a relatively low level area. I recall a lot of cheese tactics being used to fight this guy, unless you were well equipped with the right things etc.
Wishes : Wall-E is Cyborg Jesus.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Monoliths should give more EXP for how annoying they are to fight, iirc.

Monster Name: Undead Colossus (Non-Boss version)
Reasoning: Those things have upwards of 2000 HP and hence are super annoying to fight 4+ of them in the one area they spawn in, as parts of normal spawns.

Monster Name: Grimlock Seers
Reasoning: These guys pop SoV, Premo, full heals, and other Stuff in a level 15+ish area, as part of a normal spawn. Bit nonsensical to my mind.
Last edited by Hunter548 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Hmmm some time I don't venture there but the shadows and shadowy things in the Shadow Woods used to be very hard for their level and gave too low reward for the difficulty of facing them.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Kashisjonny wrote:Monster Name : Wolves
Reasoning's : Whilst Kaliyah was living in Soulhaven, she must have slaughtered every Wolf from Arelith to Neverwinter and back again. They spawn in massive groups. Just lowering the spawn rate but be good enough.
Seconded. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I kill 30-50 of these every single time I walk through the zone. Following the road. Most days I log into Layla, I wind up killing around 75 wolves in that one zone. Which is great for Guldorand's cloth stores, sure, but it's a little ridiculous.
Hunter548 wrote:Monster Name: Undead Colossus (Non-Boss version)
Reasoning: Those things have upwards of 2000 HP and hence are super annoying to fight 4+ of them in the one area they spawn in, as parts of normal spawns.
Pretty sure it's closer to 2500. These are not fun/challenging fights. They're either speed bumps if you use cheese or annoying damage sponges if you slog through without cheese. Neither one is particularly fun or interesting.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:56 am

Hunter, they're the Grimlock Seers, the Shamans are pretty scrubby and are bottom feeders in the grimlock dungeon.

Monster name: lolforgot
Reasoning: OP, 25 AB, KD, on hit daze, it's a jungles/swamps difficulty dungeon with an overkill boss.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:45 pm

you are correct, thank you
UilliamNebel wrote:
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Monster name: Wolves

Now that companions are beefier, and there's no real advantage to having a spawn wolf as a charmie, can we, please, take off the mind immunity from them, so that people who like to RP nature by taming and leading wildlife out of the path of travelers, can actually do this, please? Pretty please?

daemonshadow

Post by daemonshadow » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:48 pm

KregorRanger wrote:Monster name: Wolves

Now that companions are beefier, and there's no real advantage to having a spawn wolf as a charmie, can we, please, take off the mind immunity from them, so that people who like to RP nature by taming and leading wildlife out of the path of travelers, can actually do this, please? Pretty please?
As a former Ranger player who ran into exactly this problem, I second this.

Also, I'd like to note that the gelatinous cubes in the cordor sewers are not immune to mind affecting last time I checked. I can put them to sleep. I'll give it another test when I get home.
I don't know about you, between and bicycles make me want to do natural things.

Maragaram

Post by Maragaram » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:21 pm

& Gelatinous Cubes are also vulnerable to the Rat companion's on-hit Fear effect. It's hilarious to witness, but also completely nonsensical.
daemonshadow wrote:
KregorRanger wrote:Monster name: Wolves

As a former Ranger player who ran into exactly this problem, I second this.
As a current Ranger player, I third this.
Daedin wrote:I actualy want a new spawn:

Location: Wherever and whenever someone dies and a puddle of blood is left on the floor, there is a chance that the Blood Licker will crawl from whatever nether plane of darkness it inhabits, to consume said blood. Anyone too close to it will get attacked. And killed. Ands the resulting blood also licked.

PCs don't leave blood puddles when they die anymore, sadly. :(

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Yes they do. The PC in question simply has to enter the -1 - -10 bleeding zone. If you kill them outright without them entering this, then they don't (and never have) leave one.
UilliamNebel wrote:

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 pm

To avoid any UD spoilers I ask that you PM me any of these suggestions that relate to the Underdark.

I'm currently working on a pretty big dungeon update across the Underdark, and by chance have already included some of the points raised here.

I'm very much in favor of player feedback on dungeons, and have actually been considering a player meeting to that end. This however, is much simpler!

Daedin

Post by Daedin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Maragaram wrote:
Daedin wrote:I actualy want a new spawn:

Even though that -is- sad...I was mostly joking with that suggestion. I did not think anyone would take me seriously.

(Btw, if they no longer leave puddles, then we can no longer use -investigate to know the causes of death?)

KarlaFatehart

Post by KarlaFatehart » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Monster: Slime Troll, Black Pudding, Slime Herder Hobgoblin
Location: Slime Temple in UD (specifically, standing on a transition - usually the stairs)

When you step through most of the transitions you can be standing right in the middle of a large spawn. While that's fair enough in itself, it can be sometimes difficult because it moves you deep into the stairwell cave and your camera can be totally super zoomed up on your face or something making it impossible to fight back.
"By this point, some of you might be wondering how drow society has survived at all.

The truth is, it can't. Drow society is absolutely and utterly nonviable."

-Drow of the Underdark, pg. 26

Ferret Roll

Post by Ferret Roll » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Daedin wrote:
Maragaram wrote:
(Btw, if they no longer leave puddles, then we can no longer use -investigate to know the causes of death?)
PC's still leave blood puddles, as they always have. The catch is that a blood puddle appears when you hit negative hit-points. If you get hit so hard that you die without ever hitting the negative countdown for bleeding out, you won't leave a puddle.

Regarding spawns:

1. The Lizardmen in the jungles are not marked as evil alignment, which seems very off given that they have captured and lobotomized people to force them into slavery (Note the description of the lobotomized warriors in the jungles).

2. The Lich on top of Kholinghen is also not of evil alignment, despite the fact that pretty much any Lich aside from a Baelnorn should be evil (If there are pointy ears under the hood of the guy desecrating Triadist remains, I suppose it's all fine).

3. The White Dragon near Brog is not evil aligned, but these creatures are supposed to usually be either NE or CE.

4. The Fallen Champions (Or whatever the half-orc guys in Stonehold ruins are called) are not marked as evil aligned. They are capable of using the Blackguard Feat "Smite Good", which implies that they're Blackguards, and they're visibly working alongside evils such as vampires and undead while aggressively employing their "Smite Good" against anybody virtuous who wanders in. They also look very much like they're supposed to be undead, but aren't mechanically considered such.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:38 am

^
The White Dragon is also an "Old" white dragon, to explain why it is so weak, I'm guessing? But aren't dragons supposed to become MORE powerful with age, not less? If so, maybe his name and description could be changed to a young dragon :3
..andyeah, moar evil.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:45 am

They deliberately made a few dragons neutral to avoid having their fear aura cheaply dodged with a level 1 spell.

one day remains

Post by one day remains » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:41 pm

On the topic of Monoliths...

They're difficult creatures but have ~fairly~ decent XP and gold returns. That said the only thing I genuinely find frustrating about them is (and I can only be certain this is the case for ice ones) they seem to lack a weakness to fire/ice. Which is downright bizarre considering.

Simply having the creature have a 100% weakness to what should be their weakness and 100% immunity to their respective element would offer a mild counter play and make a lot more sense IMO.