TDOR 2014

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Maragaram

TDOR 2014

Post by Maragaram » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:53 am

I don't normally post stuff relating to my real life on the forums, but this is kind of an important thing. (trigger warning for violence, death, sexual assault)

Today, November 20th, is national Transgender Day of Remembrance. It is a day to remember all of the transgender and gender non-conforming people who have lost their lives to transphobia - anti-transgender violence and discrimination - over the past year. A lot of people might not think about this sort of thing if they aren't trans* themselves or the partner or close friend of a trans* person. But it still happens.

Every year, trans* people get murdered for being who they are, particularly trans women, and particularly trans women of color. If you don't know the current statistics, they're pretty easy to find online. These murders often aren't even solely about transphobia, but also about prevalent sexist and racist attitudes throughout the world, and a significant number of the victims do not even self-identify as transgender. This is an ongoing problem that to some degree affects all of us, whether transgender or cisgender, gender conforming or non-conforming. But more importantly, anti-transgender discrimination and violence destroys the lives of people who have done nothing more wrong that openly being who they are. And as long as other people turn a blind eye to it, it will never stop.

This is the list of reported victims for 2014. http://tdor.info/memorializing-2014-2/

Please. Look and remember. This needs to change.

Thank you.

IndifferentPerson

Re: TDOR 2014

Post by IndifferentPerson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:59 am

what the hell why are there so many in brazil O_o

You don't hear about this in the news.

Faye

Post by Faye » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:12 am

Thank you for posting this, and for posting trigger warnings too!
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:53 am

Much as the political discussions - thanks for the openness. I'll leave it standing for those, who'd like to pursue the links and memories. But I'd like to pre-empt a discussion on the very topic. It's grave enough as is.

Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*