4Chan on Arelith

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rystefn

Re: 4Chan on Arelith

Post by Rystefn » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:31 am

The information on that thread is outdated. I am now a post-op transcentaur.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:38 am

Wut, arelith is on 4chan? This is going to be interesting.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by RED GANOT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:39 am

When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:04 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:When I first joined the server, in 2007 (ish), there was a very firm anti-gay policy** that was driven top-down. Even if DMs voiced opinions, it was always in a matter of "if you imply it, or do it discreetly, or don't make a big scene about it."

So some of the sentiment of this thread, isn't that far off. Arelith did treat sexuality in a very, very poor manner.

That said, I think we've come a long way. As Kuma said, better now.

** this is strong wording. There was nothing that explicitly said this in the rules, it was, however, about "social issues not being manifested in-game." Sexuality continues to be a social issue, but it was even more hush-hush six or seven years ago.

Pretty much this. I get people not wanting RL issues clouding the game (Politics, whatever. Makes sense), but...uh. Gay people are actually a thing, soooo...
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:16 am

Everything is actually a thing. At the time that decision was made, gay marriage was a highly controversial political issue, hence the desire to avoid ruffling RL feathers. If this was the sixties, I'm sure the staff wouldn't want the community to get into Jim Crow RP.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:46 am

It still is.

But I do think that allowing it to be tastefully RP'd (which in my experience here, it has very much been), is good. Focusing on the individual characters, and relationships of a romantic nature being a second seems to be the accepted way of doing it, and I think it speaks volumes (positively) of the playerbase.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:25 am

the line of tasteful is something that has no direct specific definition.
Most likely if you rp your relationship (gay, straight or otherwise) behind closed doors while following the strict PG-13 rating then you wont have an issue.

However the moment you bring your relationship and start making out (or more) outside the nomad then I hope a DM will come talk to you. If you wouldn't feel comfortable doing what your RP'ing in front of your children/parents/grandparents/someone you respect that is a good example in your life, then DON'T RP IT IN PUBLIC! its not anyone else's business what you do behind closed doors (below the pg-13 rating), but in public, yes. I will cheer on the DM who comes and smites you if you are a repeat offender.
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:57 am

IMO you can rp a relationship tastefully in public and in ways that enhance the rp environment. Or you can do it in ways that makes the server feel like a soap opera. It's all about conduct.

The stance back in the day was probably also connected to the half celestial drow lesbian circus type rp that plagued the server at one point.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:14 am

The ban on gay chars happened for very good reasons. I won't say then here but some of you will know what those reasons are. One of which was that there was a ban on hot topics of which gender orientation and such was considered, due to a huge controversy over the subject. It wasn't just that suddenly Arelith became homophobic.

If the ban is lifted, then it's because we have shown as a player base that we can be more mature about this subject than when the ban was placed.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:15 am

yeah you know

when you stop to think about it, arelith has evolved a lot socially, philosophicaly and in behavior, sure, theres a lot of room for improvement but still...

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:11 am

^True. I think a year ago this thread would have fallen to some form of crap already.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:41 am

My first real character back in, oh, maybe 2010? Maybe a bit earlire? Was Maliel. He was bisexual and very openly so. I had, to my recollection, absolutly no complaints from any DMs reguarding his behavior.

My second character was Hound, about a year or so later. Though concieved as a basicaly hetrosexual character, things happened and he also ended up in a, rather casual, same sex relationship. Again he never went to any great lengths to hide it, and I never heard an ounce of complaint of any DM or, for that matter, player.

Skip two characters later, an dthere was Thomas Miller. A out and out gay character. I kept Thomas's orientation a bit of a secret because or In Character reasons, but when it came out, and was quite open, I... once more... did not hear a peep of complaint from the DMs.

The Moral of the story?

It was never a big deal, and it's even less of one now.

If you're making a character homosexual purely because 'OMG it's so hawt!' then... that's probalby the wrong reasons. Emoting a same sex couple blissfully snogging each other whilst dry humping semi clad bodies against each other and letting out groans of passion is just as none-PG13 as a different sex couple, it's only marginally more inflametory and more likely to be reported because yes, people are a bit more sensative to these things.

So really it's not much of an issue. It certainly is not now, and I actually dont' think it was much of a problem before.

Any way, Yes, tha 4chan thread is... unique and special. But I want to agree with Iziah and suggest people avoid posting into it. Just let them rant, if it makes them happy.

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:49 am

If you're making a character homosexual purely because 'OMG it's so hawt!' then... that's probalby the wrong reasons. Emoting a same sex couple blissfully snogging each other whilst dry humping semi clad bodies against each other and letting out groans of passion is just as none-PG13 as a different sex couple, it's only marginally more inflametory and more likely to be reported because yes, people are a bit more sensative to these things.

Hahahahhahahahaahha holy crap that broke me. Bravo.
Wishes : Wall-E is Cyborg Jesus.

Icancatchup

Post by Icancatchup » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 am

Sage

Urch

Post by Urch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 pm

I remember when Thomas Miller arrested and interrogated one of my alts, Morgan MacDuff. Morgan was this heavy drinking, rather rude and offensive pirate who attempted to join the Sencliff Institute when it was run by those nefarious characters (I'm having a mind blank, but there was a bhaalite assassin, a twisted mage, and a pirate accountant who ran it).

Well to cut the story short, Thomas made Morgan very uncomfortable by exerting various subtle homosexual vibes. Morgan confessed pretty fast.

That bit of interaction was done so well on the part of Yma23 I don't think I will forget it, despite how short it was and how forgettable Morgan was. It was a perfect example of how homosexuality can be played in this sort of game whilst still kept pg13. So yeah, I know this isn't a kudos thread, but if there is anything to be said on roleplaying homosexuality, listen to Yma23. Awesome roleplay.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

Plonkers

Post by Plonkers » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:12 pm

nah its good to see what others think of the place, it really is the general oppinion on the outside of arelith that arelith isnt as good as it promises, there are days, weeks, months were i admittedly think the same but then comes a few of those i do enjoy playing with and it is all alright.

however there are more and more EU players quitting i do not know exactly why but i know enough to agree with some of them. a shame it often is about metagaming but it is a factor on arelith that many talk about a lot. (i believe it dosnt matter if you go into details or not)

Also YMA, you may not have heard anything but trust me when i say, it was talked about by many and not in a good way, the reason no one complained was/is because many just rather look the other way than be wrong and talked down to by any dm/dev (sad but true)

Maragaram

Post by Maragaram » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Honestly, that wasn't so bad. I've seen things that were much worse before.

But yeah. No one should be responding to this thread, if they can help it. It's still awful (just not as awful as it could be).

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:09 pm

Black Wendigo wrote:The ban on gay chars happened for very good reasons.
I just heared that things got out of handTM, big controversy style, sudden peak of OOC drama, the whole stuff. So bad the devs had to step in, reluctantly (cause they hate to step in), and stomp the issue down JJJ style.

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Whatever may or may not have happened in the past does not reflect the server as a whole as it is today. Let's focus on where we are, and not where we were, and promote that by providing a good experience to everyone who joins the server.

Any complaints, questions, worries etc can and will be addressed by your friendly DM team, or Mith and Artos.

Plonkers

Post by Plonkers » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:39 pm

DM_Ironfist wrote: Any complaints, questions, worries etc can and will be addressed by your friendly DM team, or Mith and Artos.
yeah totally~

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:00 pm

DM_Ironfist wrote:Whatever may or may not have happened in the past does not reflect the server as a whole as it is today. Let's focus on where we are, and not where we were, and promote that by providing a good experience to everyone who joins the server.
Ironfist here has the right of it. It's only normal that a server of this size, and this long life will have run into severe snags in its time of "growing old" - and there will likely be moments, where we'll run into snags again in the future...

Adding to that...

A server stands and falls with its Player base. With the 6 Month DM rotations, and the regular interviews in which any player can partake in - it leads to many more players actually getting a chance to have a hand in shaping the DM side, meaning, the player base actually can have a hand DM side. So, the complaints and rumors, of DM-Team being stale and buddy buddy has actually been addressed, eliminated, and thus opened up to a wide range of the player base.

Overall - and the regularly high player numbers seem to give me the right of it, we still have in a time span of 7 days 494 individual players regularly login and game - the Dev/DM/Playerbase seems to do a very good job in keeping the server fun for all, so long as mutual respect is being shown.

There is value in mutual appreciation for the work everyone does. Players, DMs, Devs, alike. I think, overall, as we have it right now, we - players, dms & devs alike - have managed that balance reasonably well.
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

Garrsi

Post by Garrsi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:36 pm

It is pretty chaotic, and it's moved over to another thread.

https://boards.4chan.org/tg/thread/36296628

Yes it's mental, but it's funny watching people yelling at each other about Sinfar and Arelith.

Kashisjonny

Post by Kashisjonny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Any people who claims there is no DM favoritism on Arelith has explan how KashisJonny has a 40rpr.
Snuggle a Bugbear right? Snuggle a Bugbear sharks, Snuggle a Bugbear I AM THE LAW, self-parody KashisJonny. And then it's played off as 'I can't help it that people get butthurt from me PvPing them' as though it's relevant to his terrible RP. There's your favouritism.
How he hasn't been Snuggle a Bugbear banned more like

^^^^ guess i got found out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utxb-kzvFZU
Wishes : Wall-E is Cyborg Jesus.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:59 pm

best thread I have ever read 11/10

Adiemus

Post by Adiemus » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I didn't know Arelith players could be so hostile. That said, the thread's cracking me up.