General RP tips

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cybernet21

General RP tips

Post by Cybernet21 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:47 am

So i've been thinking of making this thread so people can share tips about how to better general RP,it will help new roleplayers an might help even some expert ones :D .

I am not very experienced yet so the tips i give might be very common but i'll start:

-Greet almost everyone you meet(even if just in passing),but doesnt need to be in a polite way just in a way your character would interact(even if just a simple *nods in greeting*)

-Try not to write short answers(yes,no,maybe)or descriptions(*nods*),even if short answers are your character's personality,give a description to the tone of the answer for example,better than let a person write three lines and only get a "yes".

-Give a really condensed(2-5 lines) version of your character's description every time he(or she) meets someone he will spend more time than only a passing by(speaking with a stranger while in front of the Nomad for example), some people forget to examine each character (happens with me)

And that's about all i have,so what are your tips to RP?What made your RP better?Willing to share? ;)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: General RP tips

Post by Echohawk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 am

My own advice as it were, coming from the newblood who's only been at this for less time than Cybernet..
-Never do anything by yourself (involve another player, even if it's just only one other).
-Adapt your description if you care to, I try to keep it to what someone would notice within 30 seconds of meeting the character. Keeps it relevant and dynamic, and people will respond to those descriptions too! (V. Similar to what Cyber was suggesting)
-Not everything has to be so serious, a little mundane roleplay does wonders for the mind and lightens the mood. Because at times Arelith channels some Game of Thrones vibes that can get pretty intense.
-You can be a jerk IC, but just don't OOC. That's just a pretty straightforward gaming community cornerstone. Characters might never once see eye to eye, but the hostility should remain at that.
-Create and maintain pitfalls for characters: fears, allergies, roleplay limitations, not everything has to be mechanically driven for it to be part of the character's identity. This also can count for favorite drinks, foods, and so on and so forth. Being a vegetarian and only eating berries and fruit as opposed to rations for one example.

ONE BIG EDIT:
-Accept wins graciously as well as losses. Players that have the 'winning' everything all the time attitude are difficult to work with ic and ooc, as are sore losers. Losing encounters/fights/situations has a lot go give to a character's story than just being the winner all the time. It's an attitude that coincides with my earlier statement of non-jerk-ery, but the importance of it in my mind makes it a separate notion worthy of an edit. Take a step back and look at what your doing, is it contributing to the story or isn't it. And are you handling it with a level head or are your emotions clouding your behavior. We all do get fed up, flustered, and downright pissed off sometimes, but what makes the difference between players is how we handle those issues.
Last edited by Echohawk on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:59 am

In order of importance, I find my best and favourite RP is found when I:
1. Make sure as many people that I'm playing with are having fun - even enemies can have fun in conflict, win or lose. This echos Echohawk on the don't be a jerk OOC, even if your character is one IC
2. Telling or interacting in a good story - doesn't have to by my own
3. Having fun - it is a game, sometimes too serious but it should always be fun
4. Finding personal growth for my character or helping find personal growth for other characters
5. Leave room for others to speak by breaking up longwinded spoken parts (And long emoted parted), and giving slower typers a chance to reply - difficult to do at times!

For myself, I've always found the most fun RP is helping others achieve their goals IC/OCC and character growth as a supporting character while slowly working towards my own's characters goals/growth - but there is certainly nothing wrong with being the protagonist of many tales. It is important though for everyone to have fun for players/characters to not always be sidelined and to be given the opportunity to shine - whether they take it or not.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Even if your character is shy, a loner, introverted or whatever .. find excuses and ways to interact with others. Brooding in uninterested silence and solitude will often lead to nothing at all. Find ways to include yourself and ways for you to include others.

Please don't play when you've had too much to drink (or whatever else). It's more obvious and disruptive than you think. A buzz is fine, but if you're forgetting what's going on, acting strangely, or taking huge pauses constantly it can be really annoying to other players.

Try to avoid OOC conversations/communication. You may not think you are distracted, but the players around you might disagree.

Try to avoid metagaming. Sounds like one of those things that doesn't need to be said, but metagaming can creep into your playing without you even knowing it. Especially when you frequently chat OOC while playing. Every now and again, when making decisions, ask yourself if it is entirely IC or not, just to be safe.

Try to leave 'an out' for the enemy if a hostile situation should arise. The other player may not want to PvP. It can be as simple as telling them to flee.

Don't be afraid to lose! You might be surprised how much fun can come from losing sometimes, not just for yourself but for the other players around you.

Don't be afraid to bend your RP a little bit if it means having more fun, especially when making more fun for those around you.

If you're not having fun, take a break/change what you're doing. It's a game and you should be having fun. If you're having a bad time or a "meh" time and you force yourself to play, those unpleasant play experiences pile up in your memory and you find yourself losing motivation and burning out.

Imperfections are cool. Flaws, insecurities, phobias, weaknesses, whatever .. Real people have them and your character becomes much more real if they have them.

Passions/Hobbies/Dreams. Real people have those too, and having a character who is passionate about certain things can really make them feel a lot more alive.

When a player is trying to get involved, let them. Unless someone is really ruining your fun and you absolutely do not want to play with them, you should be open to bending RP a little here and there to include them. It's schoolyard rules. When the other kid wants to play, be nice and let them play.

If there are people who are new, new to RP, have a lot to learn, lack confidence, are very young, or struggling in some other ways.. Let them join in on the fun and help them. You'll often end up having a lot of fun yourself.

Set goals for your character. Things they/you want to achieve. When you log in there should be something for you to do, whether it's leveling, gathering resources, exploring an area, whatever. Having a game plan is the easiest and most sure-fire way to avoid being bored. Being idle in game and waiting for things to happen to you does have its moments, but it's also just asking for a boring play session.

Don't judge other people/situations too quickly. There's nearly always a lot more going on beneath the surface of every character and event.

Do not put others down. The moment you start thinking you are better than anyone else on the server, is when you need to step back and remember we're all humans, trying to have fun, playing make-believe and dungeons & dragons together. Chill and be cool.

Have your character ask a lot of questions. It's a great way to keep conversation going, to learn more about another person's character, and may even help them develop their own character as they think up answers to things they hadn't considered.

If in a group, wait for the stragglers, especially if they're the looter. It's no fun to constantly be rushing to catch up to the group.

Write a background and description before you create your character. It helps to have an idea of who your character is before you jump into the world as them.

Keep character descriptions as short as possible, while still getting across what you want to get across. It should be what the player can tell from looking at them. No one wants to read a small novel when examining a character. That kind of stuff is better for an item or fixture that you can take your time with, alone.

Play to your character sheet. If your character has certain high stats, try to portray those.. and if they have certain low stats, portray those too.

Sometimes just play to your characters hunger/thirst/tiredness levels. Obviously not always, because it can get annoying at times... but if nothing is going on and you can't think of anything, it's something.

Have your character react to their environment, either through emotes or comments. It will make the world more real to those with you, and for you as well, as you put yourself in their shoes and imagine what they are seeing, thinking and feeling where ever they are.

React to NPCs. They exist and are a part of the world. Don't just ignore them.

Learn about your characters faith, culture, race, class, alignment, whatever.. to better understand how to react to things.

I should really be in bed, what's wrong with me?

Most importantly have fun. Your time is valuable. Spend it doing what you want to do. If you just want to grind/craft alone for a while and chill out, do that. It doesn't always have to be about others.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Don't do Power-emotes. For the love of god. Don't.

The next time somebody storms past me while emoting "Goes and simply shoves XX aside while walking past." i'm going to follow you and PK the shit out of you.
This should be a rp taboo. Don't emote stuff others have no chance to respond to or react to. I'm not an npc.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Xanos950 wrote:Don't do Power-emotes. For the love of god. Don't.

The next time somebody storms past me while emoting "Goes and simply shoves XX aside while walking past." i'm going to follow you and PK the shit out of you.
This should be a rp taboo. Don't emote stuff others have no chance to respond to or react to. I'm not an npc.
It is an RP taboo! Huge no-no.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

theCountofMonteCristo

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Don't be afraid to take a back seat. Push the spotlight onto others. Even though you may know the best course of action, ask them what they think your group should do.

When getting involved in another players story/plotline, don't be afraid to send them a Tell asking how far they want you to go. Ie: Someone has an RP illness. Do they want you to just throw a Greater Restoration on them and walk on? Do they want you to make it an hour RP of making an herbal tincture to cure it. Do they want it not cured, but instead something that alleviates the symptoms while you RP search for a cure over time? It is a cooperative story, work with other players to meet their desires. This will make it the most rewarding for you as well.

In Conflict, think about the other player. If the roles were swapped, and you were in their shoes, would you be enjoying the conflict?

In short form: Think about the other player and be considerate of their wants/desires.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Even if your character is shy, a loner, introverted or whatever .. find excuses and ways to interact with others. Brooding in uninterested silence and solitude will often lead to nothing at all. Find ways to include yourself and ways for you to include others.
This is possibly the best advice ever. Let your character react. Even if they are the emotional distant ranger, you can find ways through dialogue or actions to express your character. If something makes them angry, happy, sad, or whatever then don't hold it in. Let it show to the world around them in some way. This will help you in building IG relationships and finding plots and characters that you wouldn't otherwise.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:16 pm

After you get established, don't forget to try to reconnect with new characters/players still. You never know what new eager to be involved person you'll come across.

This is not for you.

Post by This is not for you. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:55 pm

these are all so refreshing and well thought out! time to throw mine on here. i think these night relate for the more veteran players

+give everyones story a chance. I know its the 5th time someone's doing a "but i had no choice!!" warlock, but this is the first time your character is experiencing it, and this is the first time youre experiencing this players narrative. even if it seems silly, give it a chance.

+when in conflict with someone else, never ever resort to "lol ur so stupid and smelly and ugly i bet ur mommy has to dress u :^)" level of insults/banter. it is very mean and hurtful on an ooc level and cheapens the value of tension and conflict you have! if youre in conflict with someone else, be creative and thoughtful with your banter. "those vile villains wont catch us off guard again, evil never triumphs!", while cheesey af, is way better and more appreciated then petty play ground insults

+make up excuses to talk with people. take intitiative. take risks

+dont be afraid to lose. not everything needs to play out with your script. the best stories are adaptablento change

+what you see your character as and how other people view them are often 2 tooottallly different people. be open minded to how others interpret your writing and keep it in mind

+take breaks. if logging in feels like a chore and you log off consistantly feeling tired and annoyed, maybe you need a loooong break to do something else.

+ be willing to bend your role play. your character suspects x of being an eeeevvvvilll warlock? give em thr job anyway. what the heck, whats the worse that can happen? have fun with it, dont take it too seriously

+as count of cristo mentioned gosh communication is sooo important. if something is giving you vibes that the player is annoyed, talk to them. compromise. see whats buggin.

+personally, when i get started with a new character, i get a goal in mind and I do everything I do to further that ideal in some way. ex. I am a thief, my goal is to start a thieves guild. im going to pickpocket rp as many people as i can in a week, and make more rp off trying to fence it to random people, while also coming up and establishing one to two disguises that are for when i need to lay low.

i hope these help! i cant wait to read more.
Sydney Harrow (Disguised) wrote: You can chop with almost anything, with the right attitude.
Varania Sylanna wrote: Tell: Why is my alignment constantly tested by idiots.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:32 pm

I know its the 5th time someone's doing a "but i had no choice!!" warlock
Just jumping in with a note here: it's been ruled by DMs in the past that no warlocks "had no choice" in making their pact. They might feel forced into it by circumstance, but the character did in fact have a choice and choose to make a pact with an otherworldly creature. You can't be tricked or forced into a warlock pact on Arelith.

Sure, your character could lie and say they were forced into it, but at a certain point that is just as tacky as saying "But I'm a good-aligned imp" or "I'm a 1000 year old angel in mortal form". Our characters have every right to disbelieve you, and insisting (especially OOC insisting) that your character really is what you are saying is, then you're kinda crossing a line.

In other words, it might be worth going along with it IC if your character would do so, but you don't need to feel obligated to do so, and you should report instances of it to DMs so that they can evaluate the player's RP.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:01 pm

If you're going to play any kind of antagonist with a specific goal, try and ensure the other side is having fun with what you're doing. We're all here to have fun. If its your character's goal to dismantle an organization, or destroy something and it will put you in direct conflict with the PCs associated with that thing, make it fun.
If you lose, roll with the punches. If you're winning, try to make it fun for the other side. Don't push them to the point where they feel like they need to shelf or quit playing because they're getting frustrated. There's winning, and there's winning too hard. Winning too hard is suffocating and drives people off. If people leave, we all lose.
To this end, check in on the other player with tells. This is a game, we're all meant to have fun. Ideally, losing should be as fun and memorable as winning. People should be able to look at you and be like. "You know what? Well played." and be totally okay with losing, or perhaps shelving their character because it feels right and make sense. The key is not to force your opposition to lose, its to make them happy to.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Temperance

Post by Temperance » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Put yourself out there. Give people chances and give yourself a chance. There's nothing wrong with sticking with what you're comfortable with, but trying out something new.. Who knows, it might lead to something wonderful you could've never expected. Always be willing to adapt and bend your concepts. Don't have anything too set in stone and think on the fly! Improvisation is something you'll get more familiar with as you play. Ideals, goals, fears.. all of these things. They can all come up as you play.

On the other side, play with people you enjoy playing with. This doesn't mean /only/ play with them (Cliques), but you're more likely to enjoy yourself surrounded by those you have positive experiences with. As long as you're open to inviting new people in and giving chances, this should lead to a great time.

It's important that everyone is having fun, including yourself. If you're not, take a step back and ask why? Then you can decide what the best course of action is. If you're uncomfortable about something, bring it up to the other player. If you're experiencing lack of motivation, maybe a break is in order.

Emote! Give your characters emotion. React and feel to things. That's what makes things come alive.

Bonds and relationships. The reason why this experience is so great is because it's shared. Try to do things with whomever you can find, unless there's absolutely no choice.
Last edited by Temperance on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Generally, these threads go sour.

Friendly reminder to give positive tips, not negative. By this I mean, if your tip starts with "Don't" or "Try not" then rephrase it. Be pro-peace, not anti-war.

Otherwise this is just going to become a "You're doin it wrong" thread, and be filled with our old friends: frustration and sarcasm.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Durvayas wrote:If you're going to play any kind of antagonist with a specific goal, try and ensure the other side is having fun with what you're doing. We're all here to have fun. If its your character's goal to dismantle an organization, or destroy something and it will put you in direct conflict with the PCs associated with that thing, make it fun.
This is really good advice. I've seen a lot of instances where the other side was not having fun. And no one cared.

I've also seen the opposite. There's some people on this server that really make being kidnapped, tortured, and your goals ruined be a lot of fun. Be those people. People will line up and volunteer to get involved with you.

Individual Thought Patterns

Post by Individual Thought Patterns » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Tip: Enjoy the time spent with your antagonists. Villains and zealots are both very important.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 pm

I find there are three important things to try and balence when playing arelith.

1) Have fun
2) Enhance the fun of those around you, or at least try not to damage their fun.
3) Roleplay your character.

You won't always be able to do all three of these at the same time. Sometimes to roleplay your character propery, and to give fun for others - you have to do something that isn't very fun for you.
Sometimes you're in a situation where you can't guarantee the fun of the other person, but you know it'll be lots of fun for you, and it really is the only option for your character.
Sometimes, to see matters go in a direction that is both fun for you and the other person, you have to bend your roleplay slightly.

However, if you can try and get all three in your actions, you'll tend to meet with a lot of success.

Other thoughts:
Trust in others, even if you have no reason to. People suprise you.

If you are running a Faction/Settlment, try and be active and try and say 'Yes' as much as possible. The job of a faction leader is not to boss people about, but to enhance their stories, to say 'Yes' to make -them- feel important.

Don't be afraid of Being Wrong. In fact, being Wrong can be a good thing. It can make good story, good conflict, it can also give a real feeling of 'fantasy' to your character. (E.g. - Maybe your high Heal character wouldn't say 'Oh she has a cold, caught a virus from somewhere no doubt.' Maybe they'd say 'Hrn. Her plegrem humours are imbalenced. I recommend hot honey and lemon, and keep this Tigers Eye stone pressed against your left wrist.')
Being Wrong or Not Knowing Something can also open up more rp avenues for those around you. People like being able to rp their smart characters. Why not let them do so occasionally? Likewise, it can be interesting what -sort- of answer you can get out of what sort of characters, coloured by their own view points.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 am

- Don't ever log on without a game plan. A course of action keeps things interesting. It doesn't have to be complex. Sure, that plan could be "to meet with Evil McEvilson to discuss the next steps of our evil plot!", but it could also be, "scope out the Nomad to see if anyone's interested in going on an adventure."

Sure, some people just want to sit in a tavern and RP idle chit-chat, and that's fine. But if rote social RP is not for you, then planning ahead is a good way to keep yourself motivated.

- Don't think. Don't talk about. Don't scheme. Just do.

Don't discuss your plan to kidnap the councilor. Just go do it. Don't spend hours planning for that tower lecture you want to run. Just grab some people and conduct one impromptu. It may seem scary, you may feel a bit out of your element, but if you want to get the ball rolling, the easiest way is simply to do it. A lot of people fall into the trap of plotting and scheming so much that they never get much of anything done.

The only time you should be conducting extended "talks" with other parties is as a means of outreach, to give other players the opportunity to get involved and pitch their own ideas (which, ideally, should lead to more immediate doing). At the end of the day, try to be a doer, not a talker.

- Play to your character, and don't be afraid if this means you will lose. Are you playing an evil drow, that would just love to go slaughter all those pesky elves? Then do it. Don't wait until level 30. Head on up to the surface as soon as you can, and do your best to make your mark.

Will you die? Sure, maybe. But the worst that'll happen is that you'll have to respawn. On the other hand, odds are pretty good you'll jump start a ton of interesting roleplay.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Some tips geared towards factions:

- Everyone hates paperwork. But without it, those in other time-zones are constantly playing catch-up. Not everyone can be in the right place at the right time, so give 'em a quick rundown and leave at least a brief receipt of occurrences, decisions and new hires.

- Play with each-other as often as possible. The first thing you should do upon logging is in immediately setting about finding your comrades. Ideally you would try to perform your faction's function as often as possible (for example: guard patrol), even just being seen together is valuable PR and advertising for your organisation. This doesn't mean grinding. Teaching your faction members that the only chance for group bonding and RP is on grinding trips is a great way to bore them and have the faction lose its sense of self.

- Tying into the previous point, get out there. Organise publicly, not behind closed doors. Give espionage a chance to happen and discuss sensitive matters where it has a chance of being heard. Just get out there and populate the world. Be seen walking and talking on the road.

- Think of faction/settlement leadership as venture capitalism. You want to try to connect your abundance of importance/wealth with new talent that does not have those things. You want to do this as rapidly and haphazardly as possible. Throw caution to the wind and let "trickle down importance" work its magic.

- Always be grooming a successor. If you hoard all administrative capabilities, and that intangible "importance" factor, your faction will be left floundering when you eventually leave.

- It pays to develop the sense to discern good faction members from bad. In my opinion a good faction member is genuinely concerned with the function of the faction, the day-in-day-out, the protocol, and the implications of what their faction does. A bad faction member is not, and is probably more interested in the idea of being a part of your faction, is around for the good times but never toughs out the bad, paying its actual nitty-gritty mere lip service. Divert all your resources to the former.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?