Visual Effects in Areas

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

TheGrimLily

Visual Effects in Areas

Post by TheGrimLily » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:18 am

Hi,

I was having a discussion with a few friends and it lead into a discussion about visual effects that are present in some places, that detract from the fun/game play.

As an example: The Shifting Sands in the Abyss has the shaking/rain of fire effect. I personally have to toss back an anti nausea pill at least 20 minutes prior to going to these areas because they make me motion sick. I've discussed this with a few people who have the same issue.

So just out of curiosities sake, is having effects like this overall worth it? Do they add anything?

Hatsune Miku

Re: Visual Effects in Areas

Post by Hatsune Miku » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 am

Ironically, the game's realm of chaos has real world effects. I would say the volatile nature of the area has effects that are fitting for the example you've provided.

On the other hand, if they're affecting the health of the person at the keyboard then I'd say in the interest of accessibility, maybe a command to restrain the quake effect specifically for those areas that repetitively do this?

ChaoticCuriosity

Post by ChaoticCuriosity » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 am

I would agree with the above stating that the Abyss is a volatile place and that the current visual effects align with this, though this impact is only really experienced on the first few trips. After someone has been to the Abyss a few times this oddness can become a bit too familiar, and lose its effect. Something taken as 'par for the course'.

I don't how many others are suffering from ill-effects due to the visual-stimuli being enforced though for the sake of those who are, perhaps limiting the quaking effects to only occuring for a short duration every so often (perhaps at random periods) would be good as it:
a) Avoids people being constantly thrown about and made ill due to the consistency.
&
b) Allows the potency of the effect of 'chaotic surges' to be more noticed;
due to their sudden occurrence.

That said, I would be very interested in these 'chaotic surges' or the general chaotic atmosphere to take a more palpable life of their own, in whatever manner that might be to make up for the limiting of the chaotic quakes were this done. Short moments of unique, and absolute chaos - enough to differentiate it from any other place.

tl;dr Reduce the global, constant 'earthquake/fire' effect on the Abyss to periodic 'chaotic surges', same visual effect with some more variables in the works. Similar to the UD spore-explosions, where you watch out for them, and try direly to avoid them.
#MakeTeaGreatAgain
#GonnesAndRoses

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:04 am

It would help too perhaps if there were some actual effect in the game world apart from the visual. It's really strange to me when my PC is in the middle of one of the firestorm visual effects and nothing whatsoever happens to them.

Rarer, and having an actual meaning would be good. It doesn't have to be direct damage, but if the rumbling were accompanied by a largish spawn of demons (or a single more powerful demon) coming to attack the party or something like that, that would be pretty cool.