Update - Raising the dead

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

IIllII

Re: Update - Raising the dead

Post by IIllII » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:25 pm

This is a great way to drive the casual players away from dungeon crawling.
"Oh you died from a trap? Guess we'll have to bounce to raise you back in town/wherever the altar is. Screw fun, muh realism".
"Oh your friend(s) died? I'd raise him but.. a scroll costs a kidney."
"Laurik died in Crow's Nest. No DM online. Trip to Cordor will cost ya 10050."
But I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if there's an altar in every dungeon.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:32 pm

I think this throws up a possible motivation for clerics to spread their chosen faith. We could maybe reduce the piety cost for matching faiths - for both altars and scrolls. When a cleric scribes a scroll we mark it with their faith. If it's then used on a pc of the same religion the piety drain could be partially negated.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Such good ideas.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Or another idea, make ALL altars useable to raise, but raise the ~weight~ of the altars drastically, you wanna carry them that badly? they now weight closer to 3000 pounds, even the most dedicated str builds are not easily gonna carry it around, and really wont want to take up that inventory space from loot.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Irongron wrote:I think this throws up a possible motivation for clerics to spread their chosen faith. We could maybe reduce the piety cost for matching faiths - for both altars and scrolls. When a cleric scribes a scroll we mark it with their faith. If it's then used on a pc of the same religion the piety drain could be partially negated.
You can think that, but IIllII is right. This is going to make the already abhorable process of leveling even worse. "Halfway through a dungeon? Someone died to something stupid? Get f#!&ed."

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:43 pm

If a cleric is around, your dungeon run is saved. If not, the respawn penalty is back to the easy basically-non-penalty that it was before. The dead character's player sits out a total of 18 minutes at most and then goes back out, if that's the way they want to play it.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Yeah, I'll take this over the old respawn penalty any day.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Irongron wrote:I think this throws up a possible motivation for clerics to spread their chosen faith. We could maybe reduce the piety cost for matching faiths - for both altars and scrolls. When a cleric scribes a scroll we mark it with their faith. If it's then used on a pc of the same religion the piety drain could be partially negated.
I like this a bit, the tagging of the scroll with the diety is a good idea.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:08 pm

I like this very much. Motivates me to make that priestess I've been considering! Brings a nice amount of value to clergy.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:18 pm

idea:
clerics/paladins(?) able to charge a Raise Dead for 100 piety at an altar into a Small Statuette/Playing Cards/other "flavor" item. one use. item breaks when used.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:21 pm

SteelsSweets wrote:can we make portalling with corpses possible?
This would be... Really good.

Although I will note this:

- The cost of buying healing kits has gone up (almost doubled per hitpoint healed) due to the inability to enchant heal onto items, and nobody being able to stock appraise bought kits in their shops.

-The cost of temporary essenses has gone up significantly due to the changes to appraise.

- The cost of aquiring end game items, such as MD weapons and adamantine armour has increased hugely due to changes to crafting recipes and increased difficulty in obtaining adamantine (one particular location having its source of addy removed)

- And now we see the cost of raise and ressurection scrolls multiply by ten - at least.

I'd ask who this impacts upon most heavily... My feeling here is the most heavily impacted are melee characters. They are the ones that get take damage and have no spells with which to heal it, use temporary essenses, need adamantine armour and MD weapons, and have no means of casting raise or ressurect spells themselves... This on top the fact you use UMD consumables (wands, scrolls), which you have to buy from player shops - and are not cheap.

Playing a melee character, it is noticably more difficult to keep a healthy bank balance than it was previously.
Last edited by Aodh Lazuli on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Terminal_Templari » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:34 pm

I LOVE THIS!

Thank you so much!

If you were here, I would kiss/hug you based on what's appropriate given your gender/age/orientation and marital status.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Finally clerics will get the respect and credit that they deserve. I absolutely love this change!
For a server that claims to be a heavy RP server, this is a fitting change that brings immersion to its rightful place.

And for those who only seek to gain and never lose, the solution is simple: Dip 3 levels into cleric. Easy peasy ;)

In all seriousness though, I feel that this change will put clerics in their rightful and respected place. No one takes them serious because their powers of raising the dead are so mundane that even a commoner with no experience in magic can do it with a mere scroll.
Not anymore though.

Thank you, staff, a ton for this wonderful change! =)
Last edited by MissEvelyn on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm cool with it, but I'm gonna need a pocket altar to keep my piety up after this.
Either clerics need an easier way to get piety back, or the piety cost should mayhaps be reduced.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Clerics don't lose piety for casting it, as mentioned in.... Q&A thread somewhere, I think. Just from scribing it.

Echohawk

Post by Echohawk » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Thank you for saving my sanity. Yay reading.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Another suggestion. Since scrolls will be harder to come by (lack of coin/clerics/whatever) can we make respawning at the corpse an option? Perhaps give it a bit more of a penalty than respawning at the temple/spawn point?

I've sat in the fugue on another server during a DM event for two+ hours waiting for a raise because no one had the means to do such and didn't want to leave the event. It isn't fun.
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:36 pm

-XXX- wrote:I expect characters who randomly hoarded rezz scrolls until now to make >>INSANE<< profit.
Maybe even to the extend that might require some manner of moderation from the DM/Dev team.
I used to keep nine scrolls on me.

I stopped doing that in recent months x.x

also, cleric parties are now supreme
Last edited by susitsu on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:37 pm

How come you didn't just respawn and carry on?

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Maybe have a look at the ai's tendency to stand over your -2 hp corpse and line up for that curb-stomp even if there's five other people wailing on them, too? That's got to be, like, an easy third of my deaths.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Most of my deaths are when I'm sub-10 and I get hit somewhere in between 0 and -9 HP, at 100% piety, and the enemy refuses to hit one more time to get that deity rez. God. Damnit.
:)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:35 pm

we've gone full circle! We're now buffing clerics! Down with scimitar WMs! The age of mundanes is over, the time of the caster is now.

In all honesty, I don't get why you double hit Raise Dead scrolls. You drove up the cost, and attached piety costs?

You can't keep fuddling with piety as a reasonable game system as long as it remains 100% fundamentally skewed in favour of War and Destruction. Go back and re-balance that before we keep tying things to piety.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:38 pm

implying clerics weren't literally already at the top anyway.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Echohawk wrote:I'm cool with it, but I'm gonna need a pocket altar to keep my piety up after this.
Either clerics need an easier way to get piety back, or the piety cost should mayhaps be reduced.

Since clerics do not loose piety for casting... piety gain through clerics could be improved.

Say, if a cleric holds a ceremony, the amount is 0.1 / 0.2 / 0.4 (depending on what's gained) * number-of-attendants + (0.1 * lvl of cleric).

So, at an altar of the cleric's faith with 5 people and a level 10 cleric the piety gain would be

0.4 * 5 + (0.1 * 10) = 3 piety per tic

Just throwing around ideas :mrgreen:
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote: You can't keep fuddling with piety as a reasonable game system as long as it remains 100% fundamentally skewed in favour of War and Destruction. Go back and re-balance that before we keep tying things to piety.
What I find funny is how vancian casters with a Magic deity get 0.1% piety per cast spell, while melees with a War&Destruction deity get 0.5% per last hit on mobs with their infinite weapon swings. Giving mages a way to effectively refill that piety during adventures could be a good start. I think it's the same case for every other deity aspect except for War&Destruction.