PVP death timer

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.
Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

PVP death timer

Post by Terminal_Templari » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:33 am

Yeah... .so I hope nobody is going to be upset with me IG, but I'm not waiting through a 20 minute PVP timer before I can resume play.

I will -never- accept that kind of timer. My time is more valuable than that.

I will log off and do something else. This is not conducive to continued RP.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: PVP death timer

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:54 am

The timer still ticks when you're offline. I believe it's a way for your character to take a 'long rest' to recover.

That said, I see it as an incentive to RP. In combat, your character is pretty useless when the timer is ticking. But you can still find an inn or make camp and sit around with your dearies and enjoy some peaceful RP with them.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:09 am

I think terminal_Templari is refering to the 20 minute timer before you're allowed to respawn, which I agree sucks because there's nothing to do in the death area.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Nitro wrote:I think terminal_Templari is refering to the 20 minute timer before you're allowed to respawn, which I agree sucks because there's nothing to do in the death area.
Having not been involved in PvP for over a year, I had no idea there's a timer of 20 minutes before you can respawn =o

I suppose it's in place to discourage senseless PvP?

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:03 pm

More to discourage people dying, then running right back in again I believe.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:34 pm

I've appreciated the timer. 20 minutes is enough time to cool off and gather my thouhts especially if the pvp was frustrating or i messed up or something.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:54 pm

I approve of this timer, as well as the death penalties.

Death is supposed to be something terrible and horrible you want to avoid at all costs. People IG tend to forget that, so a little 'OOC' reminder serves very well.

Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Terminal_Templari » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm

DM Always This Late wrote:I've appreciated the timer. 20 minutes is enough time to cool off and gather my thouhts especially if the pvp was frustrating or i messed up or something.
Except in this case, it was mostly meaningless. I did it to fister a relationship with another character knowing full well we would lose.

I was TRYING to deliver an item I'd crafted to another character when I got the call. So in this case it actually prevented or frustratingly delayed THAT interaction. (read: it hurt RP) I would have enjoyed limping away, to my meeting and then explaining how I got face smashed by goblins in support of Wharftown.

If you die and choose the light in PVP you're prevented by the rules from rejoining the fight or even interacting with the other party for 24 hours ANYHOW.

This is a bad rule, and it should feel bad ;) Please revisit the logic that led to this decision.

In A Motionless Scene

Post by In A Motionless Scene » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Sorry to say this but this is exactly the type of RP this rule is meant to hurt.

If your RP revolved around your character dying to get somewhere, it didn't give enough meaning to death.

Normally, you're not dying and limping away. You're dying and you're dead.
Ingenting förutom ett kallt hjärta som dunkar fortfarande.
Ingen rörelse.
Inga drömmar.
Inget ljus.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 pm

I like how it is. You can still RP, you're just very messed up. At least we don't lose thousands of XP anymore- that was not fun!
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Not wanting to be rude but..there are a lot of other posts about PvP timer...why bring this back again?It won't be changed any time soon
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:I like how it is. You can still RP, you're just very messed up. At least we don't lose thousands of XP anymore- that was not fun!
Agreed - death sucks but losing thousands of XP just adds insult to the injury. A couple of minutes not being able to run around is really not all that bad in comparison to potential hours of lost XP. And you can always be raised to bypass the timer.

This is a good rule, I think! Even though I don't have much time to play (only a couple hours/week) I have yet to mind dying in PvP and having to wait around a bit. Usually I'm stuck in limbo with a few others and we can chat anyhow.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 pm

Honestly I feel that 20 minutes is far too short. 1 RL day would be more appropriate. A dead person is dead. They should stay dead, at least for a while, if not revived by a cleric/scroll.

That said, too many people would love to abuse that if the timer was 1 RL day.
Maybe what we really need is the City of Judgment in the Fugue Plane to be accessible to those who fall in PvP so that they at least have something to do while they wait it out.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Isn't it a stacking penalty? I could have sworn you got a 20 minute timer when you died four times in a row, in PvP.

The initial penalty is quite small but gets exponentially larger. If you're referring to the stat penalty you take AFTER you revive, just switch it to the online penalty (as in, the duration is shorter but only if you're online for it). That stat penalty is significantly shorter.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

flower

Post by flower » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Yes, Mr Rieper, you are right. 20 minutes should be, unless i am wrong, after you died four times in pvp during last two days or so.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:Honestly I feel that 20 minutes is far too short. 1 RL day would be more appropriate. A dead person is dead. They should stay dead, at least for a while, if not revived by a cleric/scroll.

That said, too many people would love to abuse that if the timer was 1 RL day.
Maybe what we really need is the City of Judgment in the Fugue Plane to be accessible to those who fall in PvP so that they at least have something to do while they wait it out.
No.

In meaningful PvP that makes sense. But it's also at the discretion of the players to do. A lot of PvP happens while just grinding/trying to get levels. "Hey, you died to a random Drow party while grinding. Enjoy not being able to play your character until this time tomorrow."

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:08 pm

flower wrote:Yes, Mr Rieper, you are right. 20 minutes should be, unless i am wrong, after you died four times in pvp during last two days or so.
No, the 20 minute wait is always there, from 1st PvP death and onwards. Repeated deaths just increase the time it takes for the resurrection weakness to fade.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:09 pm

While there have been floated suggestions that the City of Judgement or the Fugue Plane might be made more interactive, so that people would RP through death, I'm genuinely curious about what could actually be done there.

Mini-games? Adventures beyond death? Ghostly tavern RP?
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:20 pm

I would dearly love to do more with the death area, but it can be hard to get across just how great my workload is. I was working several hours a day getting the upcoming minmir update ready when I had to switch to doing everything required for the wharf town plot, and after that I still have maybe 2 months of backlog with other projects.

Its hard to always see from the game side but arelith is extremely labour intensive, even with the great team we have. I love doing it of course but it really is a full time job. As those who work with me know I don't even have time to play.

so I will do this, for sure. It's just a question of when.

Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Terminal_Templari » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:31 pm

20 minutes with my first pvp death ever with this character.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:39 pm

you realize that you have had this post up for about 20 minutes, so go rp again
Yes I can sign

Terminal_Templari
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Terminal_Templari » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Ebonstar wrote:you realize that you have had this post up for about 20 minutes, so go rp again
That's not the point.

My rule of thumb for any rule would be 'Would this fly if I did it at my Pen&paper game?'

"Sorry bob, you got killed by jane's fireball....go stand in the corner for 20 minutes because nobody can res"

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 pm

^ Actually, this happens all the time. If your character gets below 0 during combat, and no one can save you right away, you might have to wait a few turns (or even the end of combat!). And when you're playing with a group of people, this can easily be 20 minutes.

I'd rather have time to go make a sandwich or get some cheetos and Mountain Dew, than lose X hours of XP.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:58 pm

I completely agree. If you die in PnP, at low levels, you might have to skip out till a point a new character can be introduced, or taken to the nearest town for a raise, you'd often miss out on significantly more than twenty minutes.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:05 pm

But in PnP you are still there, you get to still see the game, talk around the table.
In Arelith you are completely shut out.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!