Balance Team

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Sockss

Balance Team

Post by Sockss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:07 pm

In the interest of not dragging mechanics out in a public forum, which will never get anywhere.

Does Arelith have a balance team that will look at objective mathematical feedback on the recent update that I (or other players) can direct to them?

Or did someone just really want to play a spellsword?
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Rwby

Re: Balance Team

Post by Rwby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Isn't the Balance Team called Peppermint?

In all serious, I would imagine this is discussed between all the Admins, and the Lead DM, and if you have serious balance issues then just write them a PM and I'm sure someone will reply!

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks, I'll message Peppermint.

Update be crazy.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Sockss wrote:Thanks, I'll message Peppermint.

Update be crazy.
But helpful for someone who is playing a spellsword ^^ (although it doesn't really have a huge impact other than increasing my AB from 11 to 15... not going to complain at that though!

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Sensitive information, abuseable stuff or exploits should be PM-ed (to Active Admins), but feedback on mechanics can easily be done in the open forum.

If you rather use a PM, then it's best to do it to the Code Contributors group, so there are more people reading it. Peppermint being in there as well.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:22 pm

PDK is crazy.

Mage change isn't likely to get most existing mages hyped but of course future builds have the potential to be crazy.

Anyway, I get the impression that it wasn't looked at, just someone wanted to play a spellsword!

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:24 pm

I messaged him! In my experience the public discussion of mechanics turns very emotional rather than objective and not everyone understands the mechanics, hence why the question! I'd rather not get involved with all o' that business!

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:25 pm

The path is being looked at. Don't worry!

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Ah phew! I assumed since it was in it was how it was supposed to be!

This applies to both pdk and the Wiz/sorc thing?

Thanks for that!

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:47 pm

The wiz/sorc thing is fine. At the very most it will give a pure mage 5 extra BAB. I don't think it has the potential to be crazy (thought if you have an example build which turns crazy due to the changes I'd be happy to be proven wrong!); it will only marginally help some suboptimal spellsword builds. PDK is obviously quite broken with certain builds, though, and will be fixed.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 pm

An extra 5 Bab and 1apr is a lot!

A pure mage isn't going to take the most advantage of it, of course. I'll drop through some things for you when I get a moment.

Appreciate it!

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:17 pm

:lol:

The process could likely use some work. Releasing broken things, then quickly fixing things when exposure to the public raises awareness about how broken they are, doesn't seem like the ideal situation. I suppose it works out eventually. It's a small hobby-oriented community anyways.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:49 pm

I'd say that at the rates DEVs are responding to feedback and monitoring implemented changes there's little more we could ask for.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Redacted.
Last edited by Jack Oat on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Midnight In A Perfect World
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Midnight In A Perfect World » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm

yellowcateyes wrote: ... Releasing broken things, then quickly fixing things when exposure to the public raises awareness about how broken they are, doesn't seem like the ideal situation. ...
Jagel wrote:I'd say that at the rates DEVs are responding to feedback and monitoring implemented changes there's little more we could ask for.
This.

I honestly think that, with their swift reaction times, this is not a bad way to work at all. It'll give the entire community the chance to give input, not just a few people in a team. Besides, it takes only a little common sense to figure out that, when a new path/class is obviously broken, one should probably wait a few more days until it has been tweaked, before creating a new character.

However, if there is, in fact, an active 'balance team', then it should not be ignored, of course.
In the depths, no one can hear you scream...

Well, they can, but it's really muffled.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the dev work and if I come across as not doing that, I sincerely apologise.

My whining comes from a good place!

Normally, changes are okay-ish balance wise (enough that I don't make whiny posts about them) but this one particularly stood out for me - not only because of the craziness, but also because it seemed super directionless. Which, for me personally, is more of an issue.

(The following are entirely rhetorical)

E.G. What is PDK even supposed to be doing? Was there general consensus on the direction of the class?

Why didn't it introduce new mechanics rather than slap bard-ish buffs on things that will either be objectively better or worse than a bard? (I mean for 10 levels you're /crazy/)

How do the PvE creators cope with these new wild stat swings? (they can't)

Why have arcane classes received a huge buff; did they need it?

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Sockss wrote:Why have arcane classes received a huge buff; did they need it?
I feel like sorcerers and wizards are better at being clerics than clerics are!
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Sockss wrote:Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the dev work and if I come across as not doing that, I sincerely apologise.

My whining comes from a good place!

Normally, changes are okay-ish balance wise (enough that I don't make whiny posts about them) but this one particularly stood out for me - not only because of the craziness, but also because it seemed super directionless. Which, for me personally, is more of an issue.

(The following are entirely rhetorical)

E.G. What is PDK even supposed to be doing? Was there general consensus on the direction of the class?

Why didn't it introduce new mechanics rather than slap bard-ish buffs on things that will either be objectively better or worse than a bard? (I mean for 10 levels you're /crazy/)

How do the PvE creators cope with these new wild stat swings? (they can't)

Why have arcane classes received a huge buff; did they need it?
I think it's dangerous to assume that the DEV team comes up with things alone, doesn't tell the other DEVs anything, and releases it just because they're the only one that wants it.

I also think as a poster it's best to state these things from a professional place, and state your concerns kindly. They are working for free, and even if they weren't it's good human behavior to be genuine and respectful.

PDK was just sitting as an unused Prestige Class you couldn't select. Now it's a knight class, allowing a mechanical route of knight RP without going paladin or Blackguard, something grey or blue or red that's more subtle.

It needs some tweaking, they are likely doing this, but I love that we get new content to have fun with, a new class to face my arch enemies up in the mountains with.

Lastly, this thing of "Direction", why does a new class feature need direction? New content and possibilities provides versatility. I do not believe every new thing must have "direction".

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:26 pm

cptcuddlepants wrote:
Sockss wrote:Why have arcane classes received a huge buff; did they need it?
I feel like sorcerers and wizards are better at being clerics than clerics are!
That's just a feeling.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 pm

cptcuddlepants wrote: I feel like sorcerers and wizards are better at being clerics than clerics are!
They aren't. There's nothing in the arcane spellbook that makes a wimpy caster into a beefy meleer, like there is in cleric (and druid... sort of)

They're also still stuck with the d4 hit die, unlike clerics.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:33 pm

If Valor Were Inches wrote: PDK was just sitting as an unused Prestige Class you couldn't select. Now it's a knight class, allowing a mechanical route of knight RP without going paladin or Blackguard, something grey or blue or red that's more subtle.

It needs some tweaking, they are likely doing this, but I love that we get new content to have fun with, a new class to face my arch enemies up in the mountains with.

Lastly, this thing of "Direction", why does a new class feature need direction? New content and possibilities provides versatility. I do not believe every new thing must have "direction".
It needs more than a little bit of tweaking. The class probably needs to be redesigned from the ground up again because the current implementation of "What if bards had d10 HD and full bab?" is going to be nigh-impossible to balance. This isn't a case of the numbers being bad, but rather the core abilities mechanics' being overly strong.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:49 pm

If Valor Were Inches wrote: I think it's dangerous to assume that the DEV team comes up with things alone, doesn't tell the other DEVs anything, and releases it just because they're the only one that wants it.
I agree, it's a dangerous state of affairs - though from a redacted post it seems like the assumption was largely correct.
If Valor Were Inches wrote: I also think as a poster it's best to state these things from a professional place, and state your concerns kindly. They are working for free, and even if they weren't it's good human behavior to be genuine and respectful.
I would hope that I had done this!
If Valor Were Inches wrote: Lastly, this thing of "Direction", why does a new class feature need direction? New content and possibilities provides versatility. I do not believe every new thing must have "direction".
Because without direction, how do you balance a class? If there isn't a vision of what the class is supposed to do and what niche it's supposed to fit - how are you going to measure its success?

It also stops it stepping on other classes toes - in this case, I'd say largely stepping on bard's toes.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Sockss wrote:

Because without direction, how do you balance a class? If there isn't a vision of what the class is supposed to do and what niche it's supposed to fit - how are you going to measure its success?

It also stops it stepping on other classes toes - in this case, I'd say largely stepping on bard's toes.
The direction is of Knights that arent divine or anything(although they can be),that act like war generals,inspiring his troops and intimidating his enemies,so a bard but for a larger scale or for fightes that still wish to maintain their combat prowess and have some of bard's abilities(but ceirtainly not all) so basically a CoT for fighters that want some bardic powers.And each knights is able to specalize in either inspiring their allies,protecting their allies or intimidating their enemies. At least that is the direction i feel like the Dev's want.

As for stepping at bard toes?I dont think they actually are,PDKs are more a optional complement for battle bards.Saying PDKs are stepping on bards toes is like saying CoTs are stepping on paladins toes Edit:PDK also has a cap of 10 levels,while CoT's dont.Just my opinion though
Last edited by Cybernet21 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:09 pm

One of those classes look like it was ripped straight out of Dragon Age Inquisition's Warrior Perk Tree. Pretty sure it was called Vanguard too.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
It needs more than a little bit of tweaking. The class probably needs to be redesigned from the ground up again because the current implementation of "What if bards had d10 HD and full bab?" is going to be nigh-impossible to balance. This isn't a case of the numbers being bad, but rather the core abilities mechanics' being overly strong.
Everytime something new is implemented on a game,specially a multiplayer game,it gets a bit " OP" and might be easily abused,but after a time it's tweaked,sometimes it works on first time ,sometimes it doesnt,that's where "buffs" and "nerfs" come in,until the thing is fully balanced.

As for from the ground up?I dont think it's really needed,just "buffs" and or "nerfs".And,for me at least, following your thoughts is the same thing as saying CoT's are too strong for fighters that feel like "what if i had some divine abilities but i'm not a pally or cleric".The mechanics can be buffed an nerfed whenever the dev's want to (similar to the warlock rework at the moment or the recent summon changes...) if it's overly strong on some builds,inform the devs and they will probably try to fix it,but reworking from the ground up might be too much work for too little "reward".

PDKs are not replacing bards in any way,just complementing or like i said previously:they are like CoTs but for bardic abilities
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde