Suggestion Discussion: Temple Overhaul

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DestroyerOTN

Suggestion Discussion: Temple Overhaul

Post by DestroyerOTN » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:58 am

As titled. See thread here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1261

I feel it important to iron out the nooks and crannies for things I missed.

Discuss!
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Rystefn

Re: Suggestion Discussion: Temple Overhaul

Post by Rystefn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:03 am

Not sure why the Triad temple should be the exception. Also not sure why settlement leaders would n't be able to give hostile faiths the boot. You point yourself that having a Selune temple in a Banite city is jarring.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:20 am

Guildhouses bad. That would give one player the power to deny everyone access to the temple. Precisely the opposite purpose of most non-evil aligned temples.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:48 pm

I like the idea of having churches unmanageable by towns and cities, simply because it gives me an idea of Sanctuary and things like that.

Though, you can expect extreme hostility if you're a Selunite clergy in a Banite town, to the point of being raided and all that jazz.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Absolutely liking the concept.

The thing mentioned by TMR could surely be sorted by extending the guild control to the exclusive area tagged as guildhouse inside the temple (in a separated area, perhaps)
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:28 pm

ArcanaFTW wrote:Though, you can expect extreme hostility if you're a Selunite clergy in a Banite town, to the point of being raided and all that jazz.
*COUGH* Wharftown

... anyways...

Edit: The temple of the triad isn't included by virtue of simple aesthetics. It is perfectly imaginable that the temples elsewhere can be toggled, as they have no direct homages or monuments. The temple of the triad is distinctly triadic

Three altars is an amount no single clergy should ever need alone, anyway, and the statues reinforce that they're to exactly what they look like; So; no, layla, you can't establish the First Dark Moon Church of Cordor.
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 pm

The Triad isn't remotely the only group of three deities that would make sense to share a temple, though. Sune, Sharess, and Lliira. Talos, Auril, and Umberlee. Bane, Loviatar, and Talona.

Personally, I think a reconstructionist temple to Shar, Loviatar, and Sharess would be freaking awesome. (Yes, there are canonically some old-school Sharess clergy still around preaching the dark aspect.) Though Shar, Mask, and Leira would be the more likely way for something like that to play out.

I think there's a lot of potential in this idea, but it represents a fair bit of work (more with some temples than others) on the part of the dev team. Keeping in mind that there are already several guild halls that more or less function this way through player-made fixtures, I question if it's worth the effort.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!