The March of War Discussion.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Cerk Evermoore

The March of War Discussion.

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Let us keep drama out of this thread and let us talk about Arelith and how it's storyline is progressing in a positive way. I for one am excited for the upcoming storyline, although I do feel it would be nice to salvage some city triggers and perhaps have a voting system in a different city because only having 3 surface settlements to choose between is a little underwhelming.

http://arelith.com/index.php/news-list/march-war

For more information above link.

Once again please keep drama and complaining in this thread to a minimum, let us please talk about this without getting too emotional. I would love to hear what some of you guys think, this is not about why Wharftown is being destroyed or any of that. But simply what some of you folks might want to see Wharftown replaced with in the future, or where you would think their population would go.

Mr_Rieper

Re: The March of War Discussion.

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 pm

I don't think it's up to us.

This is all pretty exciting to be honest. Hang on tight, roleplay 'til it hurts.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Looking forward to the fireworks.
:)

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Keep that settlement system away from Sibayad. We've always done fine without that nonsense!
(Speaking as the crazy squatter that took claim there)
Last edited by Ramza on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Cortex wrote:Looking forward to the fireworks.
Yeah, me too. I will miss the town, though.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Cerk Evermoore wrote:because only having 3 surface settlements to choose between is a little underwhelming.
I'd expect it'd be up to the players to develop something if that's the case, but isn't there currently 6 including Wharftown?
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Cordor, Wharftown Guldorand, Bendir, Brog, and the Undercity all use the citizenship system.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Roleplay impacts the world of Arelith. I think that's the biggest thing to draw from all the recent happenings. That's one of the coolest parts about playing on an NWN server. Your actions effect the world around you and it's not stagnant or unmoving.

Everything that happens in regards to recent plots will be driven by IC actions. There is no "This is what's going to happen" plan drafted. I hope that provides significant encouragement for players to get involved ICly. Your IG actions matter.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Mr_Rieper wrote:I don't think it's up to us.
It really is. Keep in mind that many of the settlements, Wharftown included, was founded due to player actions, and it can be removed the same way.

IF (and still if) it is destroyed then we will be watching player actions closely. New settlements are not built in a day, and can require weeks/months effort from myself, just as Wharftown did. I'd expect to see careful, gradual RP though, not a mass fixture spam on a bridge outside Cordor (just an example). Even so, I can make no promises (Though more players means more potential settlements, so spread the word folks!)

As the OP said, don't let this topic descend, I see no harm in chatting, in very vague terms about that, but please do keep as much as possible in-game, and in-character. I really want to encourage all our community to treat this as the RPG it is, and not attempt to influence direction with forum posts; if you have a great idea, then do it justice with your character.

Marr

Post by Marr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm

I honestly think this is an interesting twist for the island. The question will be what happens in the aftermath. Will the settlement get rebuilt? Will there be a replacement for it in another location? What will happen to the boats to Brog/Crow's Nest and Sibayad?

Bottom line this create some interesting RP and just like the aftermath of Stonehold that I heard about we are at the start of a new era for Arelith. I know that already things are shaping for the aftermath that fall into the category of untended consequences. However, in an open world setting like this the actions of the RPers do shape events. Which in the end should be the take away from this whole situation.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Just want to affirm two things.

a) Seriously guys, it really is in your hands. Some players have already been given an option, right from the outset, to stop it. And even if they don't take it- there's many other things then (or others) can do to prevent or delay this.

b) As the OP said, please avoid drama here. I'll be watching this thread carefully, as will the other Forum Tyran- er. Moderators.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Wharftown's fate. If the town ends so does Gine's story (hopefully in a big way). But if not then I'll look forward to Gine continuing the fight against those that would see it oppressed. It's a very exciting time to be a Wharftown denizen.

The Benwick fall I was mostly sad that my paladin didn't play a role in as he was a part of that community (trained by the awesome Eric Silverarms).

Overall I hope to see Whartown gain more support IC if it's spared, or the next community gain traction should Wharftown be destroyed. The possibilities are endless.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Can we get a tl;dr? Otherwise, shouldn't this just stay in-game?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 pm

I"m trying to watch things and stay out of it as a player. (Though my chars may be another story :)). I'm interested in seeing how things work out. MY advice to everyone is keep anopen mind, as I think there are a lot more options for our chars than may seem. I have eery confidence that should the RP dictate, things will go a different way than it looks ATM.

I don't care WHAT happens as long as it's fun! :P

Covex

Post by Covex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 pm

What if someone saves the day? you will never know.
"How can a fey even turn into a werewolf?" -Borbag Malshurd

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 am

People can always rebel on their mayor (murder him, drive him off) and alike. Or Mayor can flee. Or he can surrender. Or town can be occupied forever. You discount Wharftown, like it would be already removedy, yay.

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 am

Except no one that is left would bow down to Cordor, so I don't think that is an avenue that can be taken.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 am

That sounds like an IC problem.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:46 am

Ramza wrote:Except no one that is left would bow down to Cordor, so I don't think that is an avenue that can be taken.

The town is made up by tens of npcs, which is reason why Wharftown got guards and kill scripts.

It is not made up by PCs.

IE: Pcs can be put to torch by NPC population

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:47 am

But doing that removes PC agency. In the same way that NPCs don't have a bearing on who gains power in the town, Wharftown NPCs don't have a bearing on the outcome here. They're just reacting to it.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:57 am

In playing a Cordorian politican, it can sometimes be frustrating when PC authority is flouted by omnipotent NPCs armed with an agenda divorced from the PC reality. I just want to say that has absolutely not been the case here, and the way PCs of all stripes have been empowered to make the shots has been wonderful. DM Rakshasa's handling of the King Edward NPC has been amazing.

Very excited to see where this goes.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Velkar

Post by Velkar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 am

As someone who's not really involved, but has been interacting with people on both sides lately... I really love the way it's all happening. From the outside, at least, it looks very dynamic! A great nucleus for RP.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:23 am

Damm,it seems on the weeks i cant play arelith all the juicy stuff happens ;-; oh dont mind me :lol: .I'm sure it's being really awesome for most people (the RP,not the destruction depending on wich characters you play)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 am

Xerah wrote:
Cerk Evermoore wrote:because only having 3 surface settlements to choose between is a little underwhelming.
I'd expect it'd be up to the players to develop something if that's the case, but isn't there currently 6 including Wharftown?
Yes and no.

Brog: Dwarves
Myon: Elves
Bendir: Halflings
Cordor: Mixed bag
Wharftown: Mostly Humans
Guld: Mostly humans

I think the issue is that humans will have two settlements, other races having at least three. I don't know much about the happenings of Guld, but I think leadership is good-aligned. That leaves openly-evil characters left to guild-houses and the UD if they are accepted there. In my time on the server, there has been at least one surface settlement controlled by evil characters, and because Cordor is basically a monarchy, that leaves the humble little mountain village to be fought over. It will be interesting for a bit, I imagine.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 am

Manabi wrote:
Xerah wrote:
Yes and no.

Brog: Dwarves
Myon: Elves
Bendir: Halflings
Cordor: Mixed bag
Wharftown: Mostly Humans
Guld: Mostly humans

I think the issue is that humans will have two settlements, other races having at least three. I don't know much about the happenings of Guld, but I think leadership is good-aligned. That leaves openly-evil characters left to guild-houses and the UD if they are accepted there. In my time on the server, there has been at least one surface settlement controlled by evil characters, and because Cordor is basically a monarchy, that leaves the humble little mountain village to be fought over. It will be interesting for a bit, I imagine.

Expect a good fight if you intend to challenge the Earldom.
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1