The March of War Discussion.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

flower

Re: The March of War Discussion.

Post by flower » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:04 am

I dont think there would ever be a fight. Bunch of 15+ characters move over from Wharftown to Guldoran and coup is done in one single elections.

There is one thing about it all: not enough gild houses in Cordor and Guldorand alone to support factions. And cities are too small to house evil and good factions together (and why should Wharftown be that evil one, at all?).

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:10 am

I think the idea that just going 'well, this thing got exploded like nothing else, next!' is like, a valid strategy is mildly worrying from an immersion standpoint. Basically ignoring something of this magnitude, picking up your toys, and leaving is... boring in the extreme. I hope that's not the plan, considering that rp about it has made it down to even Andunor.

And I especially have never liked the idea of rolling over other people's established RP with epic levels and election spamming, myself.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 am

Any set time when this is roughly set to go down?

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:17 am

flower wrote:I dont think there would ever be a fight. Bunch of 15+ characters move over from Wharftown to Guldoran and coup is done in one single election.
Guldorand isn't held by 2 characters :thonk:

Stath

Post by Stath » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am

Rabbid wrote: Expect a good fight if you intend to challenge the Earldom.
*Throws down gauntlet, casts EDK*
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Stath wrote:
Rabbid wrote: Expect a good fight if you intend to challenge the Earldom.
*Throws down gauntlet, casts EDK*
Earl Dragon Knight?

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Umskiptar wrote:
flower wrote:I dont think there would ever be a fight. Bunch of 15+ characters move over from Wharftown to Guldoran and coup is done in one single election.
Guldorand isn't held by 2 characters :thonk:

I did not try to imply that.

But would probably happen what happened to Sharps. When first introduced, non human races managed to keep least half the population. When outcasts were driven out of surface quaters, or did focus at sharps at any time in past, they took over with minimal effort, simple outnumbering them.

The same would happen to Guld. The huge ammount of characters flooding Guldorand would no doubts mean change in the leadership.

The worst possible outcome is that "wharftown" force moves over to Guldorand to keep fighting Cordor and next town to be razed is Guldorand :lol:

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Does Cordor still have that headman?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Let's not get into theoretical argument about who would beat who in a election that will probably never even happen...

I however would love to know a time for everyone to sign in and break the server.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 pm

After the invasion of banites in the UD and the long history of contention between outcasts and the native UD races, I can't imagine a large influx of refugees being welcomed in the slightest in the UD.

Whether they attempt to set up shop in the sharps or guld, the survivors are likely to face unfriendly, if not hostile, reception.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:26 pm

While I love speculating as much as the next guy, and I dislike people who say boring things like "FOIG" - I think we should just FOIG.

I'd like to believe that fault and responsibility aren't necessarily the same thing. Sometimes bad things happen, and although you aren't at fault, it's your responsibility to decide on how it affects you. The server, in a cold and logical sense, is just a world in a toolset, created by a handful of talented people. What gives it meaning are the players, their characters and the actions of their characters. We may not be at fault for creating or changing the server directly, but it's our responsibility to decide what it means to all of us, even the admins.

You could have a high level character. What does it mean? You could have a large faction. What does it mean? You could be great at winning every fight you get into.

What does it mean? What meaning will you create?

Be respectful of the people with whom you share a server. Without them, nothing you do has any meaning or impact. The server is simultaneously both a lot more delicate than we think and somehow quite tough as well. If you have respect for the server, you're a lot less likely to throw everything out of whack, and you can still try all the things you want to try.

But ultimately (And I hope the mods will forgive me for this)

If you're trying to create meaning for the server by posting on the forums...

You're doin it wrong.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Manabi wrote:
Xerah wrote:
Cerk Evermoore wrote:because only having 3 surface settlements to choose between is a little underwhelming.
I'd expect it'd be up to the players to develop something if that's the case, but isn't there currently 6 including Wharftown?
Yes and no.

Brog: Dwarves
Myon: Elves
Bendir: Halflings
Cordor: Mixed bag
Wharftown: Mostly Humans
Guld: Mostly humans

I think the issue is that humans will have two settlements, other races having at least three. I don't know much about the happenings of Guld, but I think leadership is good-aligned. That leaves openly-evil characters left to guild-houses and the UD if they are accepted there. In my time on the server, there has been at least one surface settlement controlled by evil characters, and because Cordor is basically a monarchy, that leaves the humble little mountain village to be fought over. It will be interesting for a bit, I imagine.
This distinction is inaccurate and out of date actually.

Bendir: Earthkin with a small human population on the outskirts.
Brogendenstein: Dorfs. (Dwarves are extinct).
Cordor: Yes, it's mixed, but it's major race is still human.
Wharftown: Major human population
Guldorand: Major human population.
Myon: Old People that stayed beautiful, 100+ years of age required.

Thron

Post by Thron » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Manabi wrote: In my time on the server, there has been at least one surface settlement controlled by evil characters, and because Cordor is basically a monarchy, that leaves the humble little mountain village to be fought over. It will be interesting for a bit, I imagine.
*Whistles quietly and hides all of his Cordorian evil*

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:08 pm

If Valor Were Inches wrote:
This distinction is inaccurate and out of date actually.

Bendir: Earthkin with a small human population on the outskirts.
Brogendenstein: Dorfs. (Dwarves are extinct).
Cordor: Yes, it's mixed, but it's major race is still human.
Wharftown: Major human population
Guldorand: Major human population.
Myon: Old People that stayed beautiful, 100+ years of age required.
And aside from the settlements, there are numerous smaller places with quarters/Guildhouses and/or shops like:

The Grove
The Campsite
Soulhaven (not to forget, although it's in Guldorand)
The Cricket Caves
Bramble Watch
Sibayad
Banite Temple in the gnoll caves still exist? Havent been there for ages.
Fox' Den
The Citadel
The Grotto

Just to mention the surface ones. There would probably be a few more I forgot

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Whoa lads, I wasn't saying anything about the Wharftown administration going to Guld. I was giving scenarios. I have no intention on playing Manobi EVER AGAIN after this event finalizes.

[Enchantment speedies increase tenfold today after posing this]
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:12 am

On a side note - I've noticed the Wharftown Boys moving into Wharftown as of the latest reset. They're friendly but wouldn't it be cool if wharftown (or what will be left of it/there after it's gone) became the new hideout.
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 am

Just to let you all know, this has been slightly delayed, not least to give players a bit more time to move on with some of the excellent RP we've seen around this.

In game reason is problem of the Amnians being delayed en-route.

We're currently aiming for Sunday, as that's when more DMs can get online.

Marr

Post by Marr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:41 am

any proposed time?

As a settlement leader type having an idea of when to have people on for this would be a great help in optimizing the RP responses.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:12 am

IT's hard to say precisely, but most likely at some point from GMT 20.00 onwards.

Marr

Post by Marr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 am

that is big help since I know the preciseness of this near impossible here but know when to have people for all over the world be on make planning a lot easier

Septire

Post by Septire » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 am

The only thing I get anxious of about big events like this is when there are too many cooks in the kitchen. That is to say, too much variation in RP direction (splintering, unclear direction) and too many people speaking at once trying to say their piece, especially with emotes that don't add much value to the narrative that's happening (distractions).

Still, it's a good experience for both the players and the DMs to figure out how to manage big crowds and how to remain somewhat orderly so things proceed smoothly. It will be hectic, things may crash, but it will be fun. My advice would be to try not to push others out of the spotlight too much; senpai notices you whether you take center stage or not. Much respect for the players who keep a cool and level head during the chaos, and for not rushing the RP due to time constraints (and there's no shame in bowing out for the sake of letting others finish it off and have their fun). Pre-planning goes a long way, too, on the DM side of things.

Marr

Post by Marr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 am

yeah that is why i was pushing to get an estimated time of kickoff. I can now go back and OOC talk with Brog players so we can have our corner of the situation set up when things get rolling.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:07 pm

Pre-emptive plea for everyone and their mother to not ward up with a bazillion buffs when there's 40+ characters in the same area, the server lag gets bad enough without it during events like these.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Still? I thought changes in cloud and so on limited it already?