Destruction of Wharftown...

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Destruction of Wharftown...

Post by DarkDreamer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Alright, so having spoken with MANY players of the past, the destruction of Benwick is a MASSIVE black mark on Arelith history, some DMs even felt bad afterwards but couldnt undo what was done, many players left the server forever and never came back and it was noted as the biggest mistake ever....

NOW were doing it again? History is about to repeat itself just with Wharftown. Then when asking if Wharftown could try to maybe assassinate the King, DMs dont know and would need a lengthly discussion and that its up to Irongorn, Irongorn says its up to the DMs and likely Amn would likely only emolden Amns part in this? Wasn't Cordor just at war with Amn who Cordor freed itself from????

We get "1" RL week for Surrender your leaders and submit to Cordor....or you all can die and burn? No counter reactions when we find out IG that this is a thing that can stop it cause the King and Amn are OP'd apparently and cannot be stopped no matter what?

Sorry....but history has shown this is a BAD idea to wipe out settlements....why are we repeating it?

Also for note, I get IC actions have IC consequences....but murdering every man, woman and child in a town....yeah...that has consequences too...There are LOTS of other options then deciding "HA either you surrender entirely or we blow ye de feck up!"

Rwby

Re: Destruction of Wharftown...

Post by Rwby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:22 pm

... This sounds like In game things, and specifically specific in game incidents being discussed in the forums. This is a PM thing. [In my humble opinion.]

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Actually Rwby, this is an OOC thing that will effect the entire server.

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm

IC actions have IC consequences!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Locking because this can go no where good.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Umskiptar wrote:IC actions have IC consequences!
Really this is the point here. It's not about 'punishing' anyone, but maintaining the coherence of the setting. Endless 'wars' between a small collection of houses and a large city state with foreign backing was eventually going to result in just this.

Arelith was never a static setting, though the parallel here is not with Benwick, but with Stonehold. And really, this should be looked upon as an opportunity, how would your characters react to this? What events might it spawn elsewhere? How do the other powers feel about Cordor flexing its true muscle. It's nothing to do with build strength of characters, or indeed the quality of RP on either side.

Now, maybe the town wants to surrender, maybe they want to push Cordor into making what by some standards is a war crime? There would certainly also be repercussions for Cordor, and the isle as a whole. Really, there are many possiblities, and its up to those involved to pursue those, in RP, over the following week.

Ultimately Arelith is a story, and this is an opportunity to be part of an important chapter, on both sides. It's not about 'whose better at PvP', because that simply isn't what this game is about.

I've not much to add, other than to say keep this in character, and in game. If you're character is deeply troubled by Cordor's actions then reflect that in one's RP. Discussing plans on the forums or complaining what is 'unjust' is missing the point of what this game is. Kohlingen, Stonehold, Benwick, and now...Wharftown? It's all in your hands now.

Anyone using this to bring in-game events into an OOC opinion battle on the forums will be asked to desist.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 am

I've heard talk from some players that they feel they are being 'railroaded' by this event.

I wanted to make a post here to ensure that players understand that the danger to Wharftown (as well as player's ability to influence the outcome of the event) is urgent and real, and if they want change to happen, they need to act now.

The fate of Wharftown as a settlement is now in the hands of the players in a very real way. There are many ways that players from both sides of conflict can approach the situation to diffuse hostilities (or inflame them, as seems to be the chosen course of action at present).

Over the last couple of days, in response to player (in)action, some NPCs have left Wharftown to seek safety. Soon enough, Wharftown will be abandoned.

Think about what is happening and how your character would react to the situation. Now is the time for action, not inaction. Change will only come if you make it.

http://www.arelith.com/index.php/news-list/march-war