Discord chats, channels and OOC rudeness

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Discord chats, channels and OOC rudeness

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat May 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Its amazing what is written about people in discord chats when people don't think others will ever know and they know DM's can't do anything about it. I find out a lot of things that are said about me, my characters, and even other players, how they should gank and kill them, hellball them because they can, set bounties on them just to watch them die again and again and again.

Here's the thing, there are real players behind these characters, and whats being said and done is hurtful, it is a form of bullying to sit there and make fun of them, plan ways to just ruin their pc's or just outright harass the player.

Yes I know a lot of things negatively are said about my characters, how I rp, or even just that the people don't like me in general. Well I am sorry I don't measure up to your perfection, having RL issues that I try my hardest to keep out of the game, even if there are times I can't, doesn't make me a bad player. If you think responding with bullying and trying to find ways to remove my character from things is the way to rp with me, then I really feel sorry for the people doing it. You know who you are.

HD52

Re: Discord chats, channels and OOC rudeness

Post by HD52 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:39 pm

If you feel under attack in the Arelith 3.0 Discord, please @mention the admins or moderators. If we are unavailable, please send us a PM with a copy of the chat in question. We will share it and review it to our best ability. If you would like to "white knight" for another player that you feel is under attack, you may ping us for that as well.

If you feel harassed or berated in-game to such an extreme that you feel it necessary, please send a private message with details and screenshots/logs to the Active DMs.
Active:
Gone: Innogen, Arabella Herald, Urdin Taggul

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat May 27, 2017 9:41 pm

I have already been told, unless it is a more famous issue, DMs cant do anything about it.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat May 27, 2017 9:42 pm

And the admins and mods in those chat rooms know about it, in most cases their involved in it.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 pm

I find that the best solution to this problem, is to just avoid discords, skype chats and other OOC mediums. Sure, people might still be talking shit about you, but at least you can't let it ruin your day unless they bring it ingame where you can report it to the DM's.

As an added bonus, I find the roleplay far more immersive when I don't know the OOC politics surrounding it, way more fun to just handle everything IC for me.

HD52

Post by HD52 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:54 pm

I can vouch that I am willing to hear out any complaints you have. May I also suggest contacting Polki or TINFY from the Discord moderator list? They are very level-headed and graceful in their speech. If you would like to report foulness from a player, feel free to give any member of the Discord's team a message. Understand that admins and mods are players, too.

If you are unwilling to discuss your concerns and offer suggestions for improvement, I second Nitro's statement. I avoid chatting on Discord servers unless I explicitly need to get in touch with somebody or to figure out a scheduled event.

I hope you work out the method that is best for you. Have a good day, DD! (:
Active:
Gone: Innogen, Arabella Herald, Urdin Taggul

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sat May 27, 2017 9:58 pm

I have spoken to some, others I personally am cutting all ties with since they feel the need to oocly bash players because they don't meet their purist styles.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sat May 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Discord is not the forums nor is it ingame. The DMs and Admins can only manage what happens in those two places. Doing elsewhere and I would say they are overstepping their bounds. If I was in a skype call and said "HD52 is a banana", or some other terribly rude thing, I would not expect anyone to deal with it.

People are allowed to say their opinion, and if they find a platform that allows them to say things, nice or hurtful? They can do that. Don't like it? Don't be there. These forums are not other communication devices, talk to people who run the place to see it quelled than go to another place to speak on it. I've had to do the same thing a few times.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Sat May 27, 2017 10:26 pm

I completely agree that Discord is a toxic environment, the arelith discord being a more minor example, it is in fact fairly well moderated though some things do slip by, I've recently left that channel and I will avoid joining other channels linked to arelith like the plague they are, a simple search of my own name turned up some astonishing results, and players I thought I liked have said some pretty nasty things about me and the people I like to play with, as a result I've decided to change my playername, and I will do so with every new character I make from here on out.

sadly this is absolute trash that any player feels like they need to hide, and I truly hope these channels are taken down, or at the very least monitered by the dms or admins to ensure the OOC flaming doesn't get transferred to in game actions without consequences to follow.
Plays as the monster in your closet

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sat May 27, 2017 10:35 pm

caldura firebourne wrote:sadly this is absolute trash that any player feels like they need to hide, and I truly hope these channels are taken down, or at the very least monitered by the dms or admins to ensure the OOC flaming doesn't get transferred to in game actions without consequences to follow.
The discord is not ran by Arelith staff or otherwise. Anyone can join in and, once again, this type of thing should be brought up to the people who actually run the discord server and not to the forums. You already left because you didn't like it. That's cool and fine. We are all allowed our own tastes and opinions.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Sat May 27, 2017 10:43 pm

frankly, I'm of the opinion that if you cannot organize OOCly through the channels provided by the staff of arelith which CAN be monitered and moderated by the people who enforce the rules here, you're likely not intending to follow such rules, and regardless of the medium everyone deserves at least some basic respect as a fellow human being that simply is ignored through channels such as Discord, the arelith channel or otherwise, every player who contributes to the flaming that goes on outside of the dm and admin teams jurisdiction is at fault for how it ends when it comes in game.
Plays as the monster in your closet

dirza

Post by dirza » Sat May 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Miaou wrote:
caldura firebourne wrote:sadly this is absolute trash that any player feels like they need to hide, and I truly hope these channels are taken down, or at the very least monitered by the dms or admins to ensure the OOC flaming doesn't get transferred to in game actions without consequences to follow.
The discord is not ran by Arelith staff or otherwise. Anyone can join in and, once again, this type of thing should be brought up to the people who actually run the discord server and not to the forums. You already left because you didn't like it. That's cool and fine. We are all allowed our own tastes and opinions.

if people do plan actions to také agaisnt other people or their characters and plan it in this manner, it is metagaming and if proved, Dm could or even should intervene. Simple as that.

But yes, ignore these chat rooms. And if someone tries to bully you Ig, just smile and shrug, it is only a game, be a level over those guys :roll: no need to stress yourself because of game.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Sat May 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Please stop making threads like this.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Mr_Rieper wrote:Please stop making threads like this.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat May 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Just avoid OOC chat channels. I keep that as a golden rule for RPing.

If people are Meta gaming hardcore then it's lame. It only makes for flat dumb RP and they'll realize that on their own.

As far as flaming goes. I think everyone needs to Vent. There's things that frustrate people. Me included. sometimes it's good for me to vent to some friends and just type. But flaming people in public channels as a form of Venting is of course, not cool.

Either way. I'd just ignore OOC channels of communication for Rping. At the end of the day, IC choices and IG events should be based off of IG actions/events. So bashing players OOC shouldn't be a thing. OOC player is not directly linked to the IC choices a character makes. Atleast, it shouldn't be.

I've been invited to Discords and stuff, I've always declined just as a golden rule. I've been apart of OOC communities on RP servers and I didn't like it. It led to people connected OOC being involved in RP simply because of OOC connections. But that's not how it should work.

So play your character. Follow lore and in game events and don't let your character be fueled by OOC emotions or desires and then what are people going to say? "Ugh that guy keeps playing his character and abiding to lore and responding like he thinks his character should" like wat? That's how RP works.

Adding: Not everyone is going to like you. That's just how it is. Not everyone is going to be your friend and not everyone is going to like you. I figure there's more then a few who probably don't like me :3. But there's plenty who do like me aswell. And anyone is welcome to not like me, so long as things stay respectful and it doesn't infringe on IC interactions.

Idk if that's any consolidation.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat May 27, 2017 11:12 pm

I remember, 7 years ago give or take, the complaints were about Skype and (lol) Xfire.
:)

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Sat May 27, 2017 11:20 pm

You forgot Live messenger Cortex. :P Before Skype.
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat May 27, 2017 11:24 pm

I hate getting hate messages on my telegraph machine.

Or fax messages. Those just make me QQ
Last edited by FrozenSolid on Sat May 27, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat May 27, 2017 11:25 pm

:)

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat May 27, 2017 11:27 pm

^

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat May 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Dms/Admins/Devs of arelith have no control over most off server forms of communicating (aside from these forums). We cannot moderate these and we have no power to 'shot them down' either.

If you have issues, please do as others have said and take it to the moderators of the Discord Chat.

Or else I would suggest just avoiding such things. I know when I've avoided such skype groups/chat rooms I've felt considerably more positive and cheerful about server matters.

I'm now locking this thread before it turns nasty.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

DM Noxt
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by DM Noxt » Sun May 28, 2017 12:04 am

HD52 wrote: If you feel harassed or berated in-game to such an extreme that you feel it necessary, please send a private message with details and screenshots/logs to the Active DMs.
HD52 has it right. Take it to the moderators of the Discord chat first, but if that doesn't help, report it. Preferably with screenshots. We can and we will take action on things said in Discord chats.