pure wiz ac

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Oshido

pure wiz ac

Post by Oshido » Sat May 27, 2017 8:32 am

Bahahaha.
So I am apparently making a glass canon. All stats into int. Gear int and con. Just how pathetic will my ac be at 30? Does it even matter with a wiz? Do wizzies wear fine silk shirts and addy helms? Do they put any ac on gear?
:evil:

Lorkas

Re: pure wiz ac

Post by Lorkas » Sat May 27, 2017 8:54 am

AC on many pieces of gear is made irrelevant for pure wizards who take Epic Mage Armor, which covers bonuses that you could get from armor and helm (and barkskin/shadow shield). Without dipping into any other classes or taking armor feats, you're probably looking at AC of around 34+DEX with EMA, cross class tumble, mage armor.

If you take a bard dip and wear a greensteel large shield and a greensteel breastplate (and take auto-still I and II to reduce the ASF all the way to 0%) then you're probably looking at something more like 43+DEX.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:48 am

I totally ignore AC on the pure wizards that I play. One of them has mage armor, and that's sort of nice.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat May 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Me too. Premonition + acid sheath is a far more important defense for a wizard than AC is.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat May 27, 2017 7:11 pm

From what I am gathering (not claiming to be the greatest expert) discipline and hit points are more important than AC as well and that's another reason to do a bard dip. And of course if you max tumble you that translates into more AC too. I think if you have an acid shield up, epic mage armor on and premonition a melee might still try to knock you down- but if they realize you have high disc too..

I also wouldn't spend epic wizard feats on auto still spell, just because the epic spell focuses and epic spells are so useful and powerful-- better to summon a dragon or throw a hellball than wear a shield. True flame sorcerer, thats another matter.

You may also want to take improved expertise? You can't cast spells with it up but that 10 AC could be a lifesaver when you're conserving spells in a party or letting the summons do the work.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun May 28, 2017 12:42 am

Tbh don't be too hopeful about resisting a knockdown from a weapon master.

Or living once they're in melee range.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:23 am

Most people have a +40 ab or higher anyway. What's that Epic Mage Armour gonna do you? Nothing except a wasted epic feat.

Sidenote, it's one thing to resist a Knockdown if you have (hopefully) around 50-60disc. It's another to actually live through more than 4 crits from a WM. Which is the reason most wizards go full Int/Con in addition to disc.

You're basically a disciplined 40-Intelligence package of compressed hit points and quick-slotted destruction. :d

SilverCrow

Post by SilverCrow » Sun May 28, 2017 4:40 am

you shouldnt even be anywhere near a wm for him to kd spam or crit you.

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 am

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Figured a wm in close would destroy me anyway. With a wild mage with chaos shield and esf abj ward I hope it with give me a little breathing room at least. Plus a buddy guarding me will help.
:evil:

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon May 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Keep in mind, -guard is PvE only. It just redirects mob aggro off of their intended target or...something. I have no idea how -guard works. But it doesn't work in PvP.