Back and catching up! Any questions?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Back and catching up! Any questions?

Post by Irongron » Fri May 26, 2017 1:12 pm

So it was nearly 2 months that I was offline, and if nothing else was a lesson in how much I can fall behind on. There's a lot of issues, a lot of PMs and a many questions to answer.

The good news is that being offline didn't limit my actual dev work; free of the day to day management I worked on a lot of content I hope get live in the coming days/weeks.

In the meantime, and because I know it has been hard to get feedback while I've been gone I'm starting this thread so players can ask me any questions they may have on their mind. The state of current projects, clarifying current approach to various issues etc. If anyone wants to ask me a question here I'll try to answer each.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Back and catching up! Any questions?

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri May 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Ok, can you please explain the deletion of many of the Adamantine veins, its gotten a bit extreme how many were removed, can you please clarify this?
Last edited by DarkDreamer on Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodent

Post by Rodent » Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm

I think I can safely say that most of us would dearly like to know: What's next? What's coming up in terms of updates? Its been quiet for a while after a flurry of updates. The lowerdark update is expected, but are there any other fun additions we may look forward to?

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 pm

DarkDreamer wrote:Ok, can you please explain the deletion of many of the Adamantine veins, its gotten a bit extreme how many were removed, can you please clarify this?
We need to get some back in, definitely, and I have some locations in mind, not least in the coming areas. What I'm actually working on is an automatic rotation system, so that resources rotate every few hours/days. This would mean that there would be a variety one may find in a mid level mine for instance, and another for high end dungeons. It is my hope this will encourage exploration, and the value of up to date information on where Adamantine/Mithril etc can currently be found.

I'll log in this evening and look at adding some adamantine back in, though don't expect it will be where it was found before.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri May 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks for the update!

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri May 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Rodent wrote:I think I can safely say that most of us would dearly like to know: What's next? What's coming up in terms of updates? Its been quiet for a while after a flurry of updates. The lowerdark update is expected, but are there any other fun additions we may look forward to?
Lowerdark update is a large region plus 2 major dungeons. I'm hoping to have that live at some point next week (thurs/friday?).

I also took the break to work on the next thing on my list, which is the new Minmir region, including a reworked central dungeon (the manor) and a new Temple of Bane. This is all largely complete, and hope to see it go live around the same as the Lowerdark.

Castle Gloom will be next, and is also 70% done, in addition to some wonderful work from Septire (There's a lot of this, but hope to see the new Shadovar Post added, and the new Arcane Tower in the near future)

Catchup

Post by Catchup » Fri May 26, 2017 1:43 pm

What about general balancing? The change to greensteel made it so it is no longer an option for arcane spellcasters. Is there another rework in mind? Allowing them to use all light armors or such?

Or is this a design choice? It did not really change the builds that sought to wear armor in any way.

Abyssal Wrath

Post by Abyssal Wrath » Fri May 26, 2017 1:45 pm

I know this concerns probably only a handful of players, but is there any plan in the future to take a look at the shifter class? The shapes are in a terrible state and really could use some love. Even in groups a shifter is more of a burden than of any help since they cannot reliably heal themselves except with potions. (which are really expensive)

Please do take a look at the shapes. Or at least let some of the forms (Especially the humanoid shapes) use items somehow.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri May 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Catchup wrote:What about general balancing? The change to greensteel made it so it is no longer an option for arcane spellcasters. Is there another rework in mind? Allowing them to use all light armors or such?

Or is this a design choice? It did not really change the builds that sought to wear armor in any way.
Greensteel was consdered too powerful, and (largely) negated the use of feats to reduce ASF. While we may look at this again at some stage, right now there are none (save for the gradual expansion of the loot/crafting matrix)

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri May 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Abyssal Wrath wrote:I know this concerns probably only a handful of players, but is there any plan in the future to take a look at the shifter class? The shapes are in a terrible state and really could use some love. Even in groups a shifter is more of a burden than of any help since they cannot reliably heal themselves except with potions. (which are really expensive)

Please do take a look at the shapes. Or at least let some of the forms (Especially the humanoid shapes) use items somehow.
I was advised against making shifters more common (removing them from the 5% reward) due to their obvious failing as a class. They're great for those looking for some new RP option, but realistically require a major rework to make them a 'viable' class for those looking for utility.

There are no quick fixes here I think, and shifters will require a dedicated dev to take on the project, and for the rest of us to review that as they move forward with it. There are no plans currently however, as you said its a question of weighing how many people it would impact against other, potentially more rewarding, projects.

In short, its on the radar yes, but no current plans.

Catchup

Post by Catchup » Fri May 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Alright. Classes then. I know it is unlikely that you can give the details on it... But what about a list of the current reworks? I know ranger is there (Insert Meme here) but what about the others?

Abyssal Wrath

Post by Abyssal Wrath » Fri May 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for the answer. So one can only hope. Glad you are back though, and looking forward for the upcoming stuff!

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri May 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Catchup wrote:Alright. Classes then. I know it is unlikely that you can give the details on it... But what about a list of the current reworks? I know ranger is there (Insert Meme here) but what about the others?
Barbarian is highest priority, of the existing classes, and I also want to introduce an altered PDK at some point. Paladin is also on my 'hit list' as are assassins.

Though my focus is more on 'richness of environment' currently than issues of balance. New and interesting loot/crafting items, better, more immersive dungeons and a greater emphasis on story and setting.

The endless forum debates on how to fix/balance classes can leave me cold, I see that in some cases these are serious issues, but what I want to see more of, for now, is the world itself really pulling us in.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri May 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Could you elaborate on any of the upcoming wizard spell focus features that were previously alluded to (ILMS on a cooldown timer for instance)

Have you considered adding a 1-hand wielding bonus? (weapon & shield gains AC, 2handed gains damage, 2 weapons gains APR)

Can parry be made into a on/off toggle (like power attack) that doesn't turn off with moving (or when an enemy dies an the next is "just" out of reach

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Fri May 26, 2017 3:01 pm

I LOVE the idea of rotating resources. I cannot wait to see this in action! Any small thing to encourage more exploration is always a welcome thing in my opinion.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri May 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Are there any plans to look at existing subraces? Things like Svirfneblin that have sort of got the very short end of the stick with the changes to the gift/subrace system.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri May 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Kirito wrote:Could you elaborate on any of the upcoming wizard spell focus features that were previously alluded to (ILMS on a cooldown timer for instance)

Have you considered adding a 1-hand wielding bonus? (weapon & shield gains AC, 2handed gains damage, 2 weapons gains APR)

Can parry be made into a on/off toggle (like power attack) that doesn't turn off with moving (or when an enemy dies an the next is "just" out of reach
I can't elaborate on the focus changes, as don't have the details to hand, and haven't heard about this project for some time. Should I detect any movement here I'll let you know.

The 1 handed weapon thing has been considered, but nothing decided on. Personally I'd like to see benefits to using other types of shield (small, medium) as I would a 1 handed bonus. Whatever we arrive at should reflect that using a shield requires a feat, and therefore should be 'better' than not using one at all.

Parry behaves in an odd way, as getting it to work as intended was not easy. I'll ask about toggling options but I can't promise anything.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri May 26, 2017 3:16 pm

gilescorey wrote:Are there any plans to look at existing subraces? Things like Svirfneblin that have sort of got the very short end of the stick with the changes to the gift/subrace system.
Not currently no, but svirfneblin still get some strong bonuses. It could be we do race specific gifts/backgrounds similar to what we did with drow. Though as I said above I'm more concerned with world than class/race balance currently, and a lot can now be done with racially specific items.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri May 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Irongron wrote: I can't elaborate on the focus changes, as don't have the details to hand, and haven't heard about this project for some time. Should I detect any movement here I'll let you know.

The 1 handed weapon thing has been considered, but nothing decided on. Personally I'd like to see benefits to using other types of shield (small, medium) as I would a 1 handed bonus. Whatever we arrive at should reflect that using a shield requires a feat, and therefore should be 'better' than not using one at all.

Parry behaves in an odd way, as getting it to work as intended was not easy. I'll ask about toggling options but I can't promise anything.

Whilst I understand your sentiment about the shield feat, the feat is only excluded from pure monks, rogues, sorcerers, and wizards or combinations there of. So (at least in my mind) it feels almost like an automatic feat for most players anyway and for those that it's not, it's likely irrelevant (monks/2 weapon rouges etc).

I've made a couple of suggestions towards 1 handed in the forum anyway (simple bonus if no shield equipped, or a path (for anyone?) where you would never be able to wield a shield.

Different shield bonus/restrictions certainly sounds interesting too! :)

And I really appreciate the work already on parry! It's making for an interesting new character for me :)

Catchup

Post by Catchup » Fri May 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Well, More on spells? I noticed the duration of certain spells has been tampered with (Looking at you, Edk. Thought that's a bad example.) and I feel as if it was to "hold back" the infinite caster madness.

Now that they are gone will the spells be rebalanced? On that note. Wild Mages. Really.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Fri May 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Could you please slow down on the changes :)

It's going so fast that I have by no means ability to catch up with everything

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Irongron wrote: Barbarian is highest priority, of the existing classes
What are you planning as far as barbarians? They're in a fairky good place right now, even if not exactly how I'd have wanted to seen them work, and have a fairly specific niche.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Midnight In A Perfect World
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Midnight In A Perfect World » Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 pm

IRONGRON I DON'T HAVE ANY QUESTIONS I JUST WANNA SAY YOU ARE AWESOME
In the depths, no one can hear you scream...

Well, they can, but it's really muffled.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Fri May 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Is the issue of druids being balanced to a single epic feat ever going to be looked at? Dragonshape seems to effect the entire class as balance is always done with it in mind. Are there any plans or ideas in changing this so people who don't take the feat aren't instantly worse off?

In addition, would any of the druid movement effecting spells (entange, vinemine, etc) be able to become at least party friendly? At current they are hard to use when in any party as it will effect allies as much as mobs. Even when solo and using summons, if they get effected there's a high chance they will try to attack the druid. It makes these spells hard to use and basically worthless, causing us to take other spells instead.

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Fri May 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Welcome back! o/

Some time ago, I saw a suggestion somewhere...? about the Lore skill also playing a role in learning languages and improving the number of languages a person can learn, because right now the only people who can really learn languages are wizards and skill rogues. Are there any plans for something like this?

(Also, a rather biased question coming from a rather useless-feeling cleric player - the mage classes are getting a bunch of interesting things in the form of those infini-cast spells for spell focuses, are there any plans to give the divine classes something similar?)
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!