Back and catching up! Any questions?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dr_Hazard89

Re: Back and catching up! Any questions?

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:18 am

Asking the important questions. Are there any plans to bring back little kitty cat models to familiars?
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat May 27, 2017 4:19 am

Do you still intend to make temporary essences craftable?

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat May 27, 2017 5:05 am

Without getting into spoiler-containing specifics (I mean, feel free to drop some specifics, too, if you want, but I'm not trying to be greedy here), what sort of direction would you like to see the narrative for the island of Arelith go in for the next six months?

Will it be left predominantly in the hands of the players, or are the PC's reactors that will shape the world through their response to the narrative rather than contributors to it?

These are not mutually exclusive, but an idea of where you're aiming for (and in what general spectrum of mood/setting you're aiming to reach) allows people to plan more appropriate roles (be they supporters or antagonists).
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sat May 27, 2017 5:31 am

The brilliant addition of the Goblin Racial Group Bonus when partied together...
Would there be any consideration to offering this to other racial types who are tied to their racial cities as citizens. -Perhaps best implemented by limiting the bonus to inside their territorial borders.

I.E. a group of Myon Citizens partied together, PVP'ing the defense of their territory are given a significant bonus.

The bonus would apply only within Arelith Forest, the traditional territorial home of the Elves.

So for a small group of Elven Defenders partied together could, in theory, fend off a larger group of attackers... simply because of the moral benefits of defending their home turf.

This could apply to all racial settlements, and their respective racial types and traditional territory boundaries.

(Btw, again, a brilliant addition to the Goblin Group Bonus, so genius!)
This could apply to Brog,
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat May 27, 2017 10:39 am

Irongron wrote:
High Primate wrote:Simple question: rogue-dominant builds are very underpowered relative to other build-types these days, and as such are not often played. Is a buff to rogues on the horizon?
Nope. Rogues have such a broad set of abilities that changes elsewhere often affect them indirectly. Traps are the biggest standout issue for me with rogues, as they lack utility. While I've talked about this a lot with the team in the past nothing is currently being seriously considered.
I hope you reconsider at some point--the tricky thing is that you almost have to go heavy in rogue if you want to be a DEX-based meleer, since sneak damage is one of the only ways to increase damage in that case.

Unfortunately, that means a decrease in HP and AB that's pretty severe, and doesn't actually give enough damage to make rogue-heavy even catch up to STR-based damage dealers in that regard. You wind up with a character that has lower damage, lower HP, lower lower AB, and often lower AC also. It would be nice if something was put in to let rogues at least catch up in one or two of those aspects of melee combat.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat May 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Lorkas wrote:
Irongron wrote:
High Primate wrote:Simple question: rogue-dominant builds are very underpowered relative to other build-types these days, and as such are not often played. Is a buff to rogues on the horizon?
Nope. Rogues have such a broad set of abilities that changes elsewhere often affect them indirectly. Traps are the biggest standout issue for me with rogues, as they lack utility. While I've talked about this a lot with the team in the past nothing is currently being seriously considered.
I hope you reconsider at some point--the tricky thing is that you almost have to go heavy in rogue if you want to be a DEX-based meleer, since sneak damage is one of the only ways to increase damage in that case.

Unfortunately, that means a decrease in HP and AB that's pretty severe, and doesn't actually give enough damage to make rogue-heavy even catch up to STR-based damage dealers in that regard. You wind up with a character that has lower damage, lower HP, lower lower AB, and often lower AC also. It would be nice if something was put in to let rogues at least catch up in one or two of those aspects of melee combat.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9496

some suggestions of mine

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun May 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Dr_Hazard89 wrote:Asking the important questions. Are there any plans to bring back little kitty cat models to familiars?
I remember first introducing cats in Guldorand and then later the Troubadour. The latter was always a bit bugged I recall. They are there to use empathy on, but no, I'm not planning on introducing them as familars again, just yet.

Reason for this is partly aesthetic. Not everyone has the appearance.2da override that removes the aura glow from creatures, and I find any creature artificially reduced becomes a bit of an eyesore with the giant red circle (also a navigational hazard)

I'm sure this is something we'll look at eventually, and certainly if we enter an age of HaKs I'd be excited to see it.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun May 28, 2017 7:00 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:Do you still intend to make temporary essences craftable?
This really does make sense, and wouldn't be a ton of work, I'll see what I can do. Anyone want to supply a list of lesser gems to match each damage type?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun May 28, 2017 7:06 pm

How about the dust of each type? Those are common drops, and you could craft stacks as opposed to individual single use items.
:)

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun May 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:Without getting into spoiler-containing specifics (I mean, feel free to drop some specifics, too, if you want, but I'm not trying to be greedy here), what sort of direction would you like to see the narrative for the island of Arelith go in for the next six months?

Will it be left predominantly in the hands of the players, or are the PC's reactors that will shape the world through their response to the narrative rather than contributors to it?

These are not mutually exclusive, but an idea of where you're aiming for (and in what general spectrum of mood/setting you're aiming to reach) allows people to plan more appropriate roles (be they supporters or antagonists).
This is a great question, and while I'd love to answer it would take me the best part of an evening to get it all into words. The crucial part of your question is this:
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote: Will it be left predominantly in the hands of the players, or are the PC's reactors that will shape the world through their response to the narrative rather than contributors to it?
It has almost always been the policy of Arelith that the players should 'make' the narrative, but I am, personally, a fan of DMs and Devs taking a stronger approach here. There are great stories that really we only have the power to begin, and I think world changing quests can be a great deal of fun. For many of us that have played for many years it can sometimes be hard to find a real ambition for our characters, and being involved in such events can really lend a feeling of freshness.

With the new DM team interviews coming up this is something I'd like to speak to the new crop about, as well as my fellow admins.

There is really so much more I could say, but I think my time is probably better spent in the toolset for now.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun May 28, 2017 7:12 pm

I can send you that list a bit later Irongorn, once I am home

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sun May 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Cortex wrote:How about the dust of each type? Those are common drops, and you could craft stacks as opposed to individual single use items.
This is an extremely good idea.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

InTheFlesh

Post by InTheFlesh » Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello Irongron, thanks for your tireless work, so many including myself are beyond appreciative.

Is something along the lines of either some kind of non-evil hideout/temple in Andunor; or adding more "wilderness" quarters on the horizon?

Edit: I should add that this is definitely a biased question, and along the lines of Outcasts who've screwed up even in Andunor. Could there be some outcast-only quarters in the same way that there are slave-only?

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun May 28, 2017 7:25 pm

I admit I would love to see a lot more wilderness quarters, things like the fox's Den house that is never available.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun May 28, 2017 8:04 pm

I'ts my opinion, and something I have done with locations such as the tower in the Spires, Sencliff and the desert camp, is that guilds should always be in the wilderness. The Underdark defnitely needs something, and I hope it is a project we can get to before long. It will likely be quite simple at first, but yes, it is definitely on the horizon.

Intrepid42

Post by Intrepid42 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Irongron wrote: These are things like requests for charitable assistance, foreign powers and events in the city itself. These will impact many things, from tax gains, resources, merchant prices, NPC spawning and henchmen. It's a big project that requires a lot of creative writing, and I can't currently say even if it will happen, though the core scripts and a lot of writing has been completed. It would limited to Cordor at first, but I think the idea has a lot of potential.

There are other things I want to see for settlements, such as spymasters NPCs, who can provide intel on other settlements and give 'quests' to citizens with an espionage focused build, estabishing a fluctuating crime rate, and having a proper, fluctuating foreign market for resources, so that leaders can effectively gamble with the city treasury.
This, would be AMAZING.

Oh, and hi from a newish player. It's a fantastically-developed world, with a ton of custom mechanics and systems. I am still discovering something new almost daily.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sun May 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Will there be any changes to the jewelry boxes/hunting/mining/head bags in the future? Specifically: allowing you to take out stacks of items rather than individual (so you don't have to take out 10 meat and drop them to restack them), and moving the 'add all items to bag/box' to the 1st option so that we don't have to go several pages to find the button?
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Sun May 28, 2017 8:49 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:Will there be any changes to the jewelry boxes/hunting/mining/head bags in the future? Specifically: allowing you to take out stacks of items rather than individual (so you don't have to take out 10 meat and drop them to restack them), and moving the 'add all items to bag/box' to the 1st option so that we don't have to go several pages to find the button?

THIS PLEASE!!!!!

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Mon May 29, 2017 2:42 am

It would be nice to be able to make the lesser and greater bags for hunting, mining and head bags as crafting recipes, or at least be able to purchase a mundane box to be able to put ore/ingots into that doesn't have a weight limit but isn't magical as a quarters chest doesn't hold much or add some more double chest quarters...Even a gem bag for cut gems as they don't go into a mining bag either.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 am

Contrary to the comments above, I will say this:
I am not a fan of the micromanagement of the bags and the current jewelry system. I don't see why it can't be simplified with less annoying-to-use general bags, and for jewelry, I would tear that all out of the window and implement something like the automatic gold collection that you have in FL.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:54 am

Is it possible or perhaps even planed in a later update to make it so the Project-Image Illusion from the Epic Illusion Spell Focus can be possessed like a familiar for example? As it is right now, it's somewhat limited that one need to be within line-of-sight to properly control the Illusion.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon May 29, 2017 4:21 am

Irongron wrote:This is a great question, and while I'd love to answer it would take me the best part of an evening to get it all into words. The crucial part of your question is this:
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:Will it be left predominantly in the hands of the players, or are the PC's reactors that will shape the world through their response to the narrative rather than contributors to it?
It has almost always been the policy of Arelith that the players should 'make' the narrative, but I am, personally, a fan of DMs and Devs taking a stronger approach here. There are great stories that really we only have the power to begin, and I think world changing quests can be a great deal of fun. For many of us that have played for many years it can sometimes be hard to find a real ambition for our characters, and being involved in such events can really lend a feeling of freshness.

With the new DM team interviews coming up this is something I'd like to speak to the new crop about, as well as my fellow admins.

There is really so much more I could say, but I think my time is probably better spent in the toolset for now.
Thank you for the response!

...It's like you looked into my soul and found the exact words to say to induce imaginative bliss. I can't wait.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Nour

Post by Nour » Mon May 29, 2017 5:32 am

Is there any intended plans on rebalancing any weapons currently? I'm being vague because I don't want to specify. Just wanna know if tweaking weapons a bit is on the horizon ever.

I would like to think the current meta supports only a handful of weapons and the rest are more or less left at the wayside.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Mon May 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Cortex wrote:How about the dust of each type? Those are common drops, and you could craft stacks as opposed to individual single use items.
This is perfect because it doesn't change the lore on how some of the gems are connected to certain elements.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue May 30, 2017 2:17 am

Horses?
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.