Crash Potentiality - Corrupt Characters

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Crash Potentiality - Corrupt Characters

Post by Mithreas » Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 am

Nope, people logging in with corrupted characters is killing it. Working through the restore.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Fri May 26, 2017 10:51 am

This is why you don't let Khabul become a god. Shit like this happens. :P

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Fri May 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Just a note!

Server has been working for me and apparently roughly fifty others for about the last hour without issue. I think the day is saved for now.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Fri May 26, 2017 12:46 pm

kittenblackfriends wrote:
Irongron wrote:To avoid having to do this via reports from every affected character Symphony is looking at building some software for us to detect them.
Bless Symphony. Give them pizza and coffee to turn into code.
Despite being able to perform the miracle of turning coffee into code (it's amazing really since without coffee I don't know how to code), I have done nothing and will likely not be involved in Mithreas's and Scholar Midnight's hard work they perform for us during their real work so you guys have less down time.

They are generous intelligent people, thank them.

Marauder

Post by Marauder » Fri May 26, 2017 2:24 pm

You guys are computer wizards.
Last edited by Marauder on Fri May 26, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM GrumpyCat wrote:Drow sunbathing

DarkDreamer
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by DarkDreamer » Fri May 26, 2017 2:29 pm

there was a notice to pm the DMs and Devs if you lost lvls

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Fri May 26, 2017 6:03 pm

I lost a good chunk of XP with the crash (several days of work) along with some small things like a new helmet and some scrolls I acquired. I'm sure there's more but that's all that I am aware of at the moment. It basically looks like my character is back to where she was a few RL days ago.

I've sent a message to the Active DMs and Active Admins as this thread instructed.

I just don't know if I should avoid logging in the with character and playing until I hear from someone.

Covex

Post by Covex » Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 pm

I think the people who -save before this happend was saved, as most people must have not -save before the the server died or after playing havent -saved
So -save everytime you log this is the best thing to do if this ever happens again,or something else happens.

Glad -save is a command :)
"How can a fey even turn into a werewolf?" -Borbag Malshurd

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri May 26, 2017 6:48 pm

I used -save and logged off before the crash happened, but I experienced rollback anyway. I never saw my character actually corrupted or even knew that there was a crash until I saw it on the forums.

Also worth noting: the game automatically saves your character (exactly as if you'd used -save) every time you transition to a new area. Given that the issue was lack of hard drive space, I don't think that using -save is gonna help you!

I can be your angle or yuor devil

Post by I can be your angle or yuor devil » Fri May 26, 2017 6:59 pm

DM Wish wrote: In that we do things for the good of the server out of the altruism in our hearts, or that we do such while wearing ridiculous costumes? I mean both statements are true but nevertheless worth clarifying.
I like to think it's the later XD

Izaich

Post by Izaich » Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 pm

The rollback seems to have resulted in a weird bug. My CE Barbarian has turned into a lvl 30 LG monk. I mean, it's close enough, right?

Honeybunny

Post by Honeybunny » Fri May 26, 2017 7:02 pm

On the plus side, this never happened: (ie, I have the stack of uncut gems again)

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Fri May 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Perhaps this couldn't work, but if log files are what's filling it, would it work to just buy space on a service like Dropbox and store those there instead?
I'd think that would be cheaper than a new server with more space

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Fri May 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Lorkas wrote:I used -save and logged off before the crash happened, but I experienced rollback anyway. I never saw my character actually corrupted or even knew that there was a crash until I saw it on the forums.

Also worth noting: the game automatically saves your character (exactly as if you'd used -save) every time you transition to a new area. Given that the issue was lack of hard drive space, I don't think that using -save is gonna help you!
I'm 100% sure the -save didn't matter as I do it all the time and my character got rolled back over for it looks like over a week irl....