Help on a interesting build i thought of

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cybernet21

Help on a interesting build i thought of

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:42 pm

So i haven't been very active IG and thought this is a good time to think on the next character i may do(after i "finish" the current one sometime in the future).And i need help on the build as i'm not a very good builder,so here it goes:

I am thinking of a manipulative villain,a evil person that many people suspect of but they have no proof(much like Sarevok in BG 1)someone who is the master mind the one who makes others do his wishes,only involving himself personally when something cannot fail.

Here is the tricky part,that would be super easy to make as a sorcerer but i want a guy who is heavy armored and uses two longswords(or one longsword and one short sword if it's easier to build)dual wielding them,and has some hidden powerful magic abilities that aid in combat.

Now for the details(the ones with a ? before any writing are the ones i need the most help with):
Race:Human(maybe Drow,but wouldnt that be too Drizt like?)
Class:?Fighter(with some Blackguard levels mixed in for the hidden magical powers or maybe another class)
Abilities:? Since he is gonna be manipulative something like(with the gifts of STR and CON already added):18 STR,10 DEX(possibly 8),16 CON,10 WIS,12 INT,14 CHA
Feats:?No idea
Skills:Focused on Discipline,Heal,Tumble and Lore(maybe changed to parry?)

That's basically it,any help is appreciated :)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

kittenblackfriends
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Help on a interesting build i thought of

Post by kittenblackfriends » Wed May 24, 2017 4:49 pm

If you're actually going to be evil, you're not a Drizzt ripoff. Drow use double shortswords all the time.

That being said. Two different weapons means two weapon proficiencies, which can get expensive (feat-wise). And AB > damage usually. You are definitely going to want a CHA-friendly class like Blackguard, and fighter is never a bad class to take as filler (same with rogue). I believe in order to dual wield though, you need 15 DEX OR use ranger as your fill class. For this, I'd recommend at least 9 levels in ranger, maybe 4 in fighter (taking the 4th at Lv21!), and the rest in blackguard.

Given I don't know all the mechanical goodies behind blackguard these days, I'll let someone else field questions regarding that.
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:16 pm

kittenblackfriends wrote:If you're actually going to be evil, you're not a Drizzt ripoff. Drow use double shortswords all the time.

That being said. Two different weapons means two weapon proficiencies, which can get expensive (feat-wise). And AB > damage usually. You are definitely going to want a CHA-friendly class like Blackguard, and fighter is never a bad class to take as filler (same with rogue). I believe in order to dual wield though, you need 15 DEX OR use ranger as your fill class. For this, I'd recommend at least 9 levels in ranger, maybe 4 in fighter (taking the 4th at Lv21!), and the rest in blackguard.

Given I don't know all the mechanical goodies behind blackguard these days, I'll let someone else field questions regarding that.
Ah i see,well i'm open to changing DEX to 18(and getting finesse) and STR to 10(or 8) and using two shortswords,also not being heavy armored if it makes things complicated,dual wileding is the main objective of this build
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed May 24, 2017 5:31 pm

I would avoid the 9 ranger, having gone for that kind of build I see it as kind of a trap. I find Dex somewhat lacking in general. Go for strength and make bit crits.

Aftond

Post by Aftond » Wed May 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Sounds like what you are looking for is the brycebuild. If you don't know what that is, send me a pm and I'll help you out. It doesn't dualwield, but that's the only thing from your requirements that isn't in it.

Also, there is a 16 blackguard build that makes use of epic fiendish servant which is neat. Both make use of divine might/shield.
Last edited by Aftond on Wed May 24, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:33 pm

If you're going dual wield build but want the BG levels (BG is real fun on the server by teh way) then a "fighter/rogue(or bard)/BG" is the way to go.
Like KBF said you need 15+ dex to take the dual wielding feats but if you want heavier armor you're best off settling at exactly 15 dex and using full plate (maximum AC even VS armor that can benefit from the +2 dex modifier) and still stacking Str. The main problem here is that you cant invest as heavily in other stats. I'd start with dropping wisdom to 8, 10 maximum (It's useless for the build). Then Charisma to 10, you lose the save benefits and the ability to take Divine Might and Divine Shield but at the end of the day your stopping power and survivability with Str and Con will be important, and you can always get some Cha via spells and gear.
So for what you're describing i'd go:
Race = Human
Class = Fighter (get those two weapon fighting feats early so you can start it right away) after the dual wielding feats build until you can take BG levels (level 7 I think), take 10 BG levels all the way to 17. Then 3 rogue and dump into the likes of tumble, UMD etc etc. 1 fighter level (8th fighter level) at 21 for epic wep focus and epic wep specialization. 6 BG levels for the final summon ie. epic fiendish servant (totally worth it). 1 more rogue level to finish off tumble to 30, then the last 2 as fighter. That's a pretty standard BG build and it's good and solid. (dont forget to hit the requirements for BG). So all in all it's "Fight/BG/Rogue(Bard)" - 10/16/4.
You can go with the 6 BG levels before taking the 8th fighter level at 21 and simply take that fighter level at 27, it's up to you, but personally the extra AB and Damage at 21 is just nice to have. Means you wait an extra level before you get epic fiendish but that's not the end of the world.
Abilities:
Str = 15 (17 with gift, )
Dex = 15 (for two wep feats)
Con = 14 (16 with gift)
Wis = 8
Int = 14
Cha = 10
You can dump your 7 points you gain from leveling in a mix between Str and Con (maybe even Cha for the saves) but personally i'd just chuck all 7 in Str. But no matter what make sure to throw an uneven number in Str so you get the maximum possible modifier.
Feats: You'll have a total of 12 pre epic, and 7 epic.
Pre epic = Ambi, Two wep, Imp Two wep (maybe). After that just straight up combat feats like; wep focus, wep spec, cleave + powerattack (obviously), Blindfight, Expertise + Imp Expertise, Imp Crit (because it'd be Str based build), and finally Knockdown.
Epic = Imp wep focus, Imp wep spec, Epic fiendish, armor skin (you wont be AC heavy because it's not a shield using build, but you can always carry a shield so the more AC you can get the better), Epic prowess (maybe). That leaves 2-3 Epic feats for you to play around with, i'd go for certain skill foci or saves.
Skills: You'll be able to max 5 skills and have a dozen or so spare points to play with.
Discipline (definitely), Tumble (to 30), Heal, you can throw your 15 in UMD, and 10-20 in lore for identifying things (or invest in the cheap insight rings). If you go bard instead of rogue then max Spellcraft for the saves vs spells. Other than that Taunt is a decent one to go as Melee, the AC penalty you can inflict is really handy. (Bluff might be worth some investment too so you can plot and scheme while remaining anonymous, that means taking the +6 bluff gift would be wise). Also not a bad idea to put 1 point in Pick Lock and Disable trap, you can use enchanted gear, your stat modifier, and taking 20 from not being in combat, to handle most locks and traps up to about 40-45ish DC.

P.S. if you want RP effect then going Longswords for the dual-wield could be fun, there are a few "Evil" Longswords on the server as chest loot etc that are perfect for BGs. However that being said going shortswords will give you a slightly higher AB because they are smaller.

P.P.S. If you do go for the 16 BG route for the epic fiend then i'd suggest going Neutral Evil, that will let you learn the Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil summoning streams and summon them with no risk of the summon turning on you, it simply opens up the options for summons. The Lawful Evil (Pit Fiend) one is great for solo Grinding because it has Regen, Neutral (Ultraloth) just looks badass, and the Chaotic Evil (Balor) one (though the weakest imo) has biteback so it's good against fighter types that you know are going to kill it anyway so you might as well get the most out of it, lol.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Wed May 24, 2017 7:25 pm

you might also consider increasing your charisma, for blackguard's it is actually useful as you will be adding your charisma modifier to all saves, plus it increases the damage and duration for divine might, and increases your ac gain and duration for divine shield.

not to mention, the manipulation of others into carrying out your will seems like a charisma thing to me :twisted:
Plays as the monster in your closet

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:26 pm

True, you would be able to sub a few things in and out to get 12-14 charisma. 12 is a decent base amount if you're going Bard because that way you'll be able to cast the second level bard spells that'll be available to you, some of which are actually quite useful to have on hand.

OutOfChwi

Post by OutOfChwi » Wed May 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Tarkus the dog is the best at Blackguards. I found his in another thread and its awesome. Its a fighter rogue bg but no dual wield, can let you know what it is, just pm me.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:08 am

OutOfChwi wrote:Tarkus the dog is the best at Blackguards. I found his in another thread and its awesome. Its a fighter rogue bg but no dual wield, can let you know what it is, just pm me.
Thanks,but the build focus is kinda dual wielding with heavy armor,BG is mostly a bonus,since i want some kind of hidden power that the character uses when situations are critical(lile the BG summon) and i need some CHA so he can be manipulative(and work a lot on my RP :lol: )

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu May 25, 2017 12:51 am

Dual wielding + CHA based builds don't mesh well together, especially not with the 13 STR requirement (or monk levels, which is arguably even worse) that Blackguard has.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:10 pm

gilescorey wrote:Dual wielding + CHA based builds don't mesh well together, especially not with the 13 STR requirement (or monk levels, which is arguably even worse) that Blackguard has.
Well it's not gonna be CHA based,just above average CHA so the character can be manipulative,because of that i'm thinking of BG for hidden magical powers as it's somewhat CHA friendly

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:44 am

So here is how the build i came up with mostly Orian's suggestions looks,you are all free to tell me if something is not optimal(bluff gift +6 not on the calculations,as well as some automatic feats):

Fighter(10), Blackguard(16), Rogue(4), Human

STR: 16 (24)
DEX: 15
CON: 16 (18)
WIS: 8
INT: 14
CHA: 12

Human: (Quick to Master)
01: Fighter(1): Ambidexterity, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus: Shortsword
02: Fighter(2): Power Attack
03: Fighter(3): Cleave
04: Fighter(4): STR+1, Blind Fight, (STR=17)
05: Fighter(5)
06: Fighter(6): Weapon Specialization: Shortsword, Expertise
07: Fighter(7)
08: Blackguard(1): STR+1, (STR=18)
09: Blackguard(2): Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, {Smite Good}
10: Blackguard(3)
11: Blackguard(4)
12: Blackguard(5): CON+1, Improved Critical: Shortsword, (CON=17)
13: Blackguard(6)
14: Blackguard(7)
15: Blackguard(8): Knockdown
16: Blackguard(9): CON+1, (CON=18)
17: Blackguard(10)
18: Rogue(1): Improved Expertise
19: Rogue(2): {Evasion}
20: Rogue(3): STR+1, {Uncanny Dodge I}, (STR=19)
21: Fighter(8): Epic Weapon Focus: Shortsword, Epic Weapon Specialization: Shortsword
22: Blackguard(11)
23: Blackguard(12)
24: Blackguard(13): STR+1, Great Strength I, Armor Skin, (STR=21)
25: Blackguard(14)
26: Blackguard(15)
27: Blackguard(16): Great Strength II, Epic Fiendish Servant, (STR=22)
28: Rogue(4): STR+1, (STR=23)
29: Fighter(9)
30: Fighter(10): Great Strength III, Epic Prowess, (STR=24)

Stats at max level:Hitpoints: 404
Skillpoints: 189
Saving Throws (Fortitude/Will/Reflex): 23/11/16
Saving Throw bonuses:
BAB: 24
AB (max, naked): 35 (melee), 27 (ranged)
AC (naked/mundane armor/shield only): 20/30
Spell Casting:
Alignment Changes: 0

Bluff 16(17), Disable Trap 1(3), Discipline 33(40), Heal 33(32), Hide 5(7), Lore 20(22), Open Lock 1(3), Taunt 25(26), Tumble 30(32), UMD 15(16)
(Can also post skill points per level if anyone wants that)