The War Against Adamantine

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

msterswrdsmn

Re: The War Against Adamantine

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed May 24, 2017 2:26 am

Mr_Rieper wrote:So is the main problem here that the very best equipment is extremely difficult to get, or is it that end game dungeons almost require it?
Its both, paradoxically, considering top-tier materials are in said epic dungeons. Hence the neverending downward spiral.

HindianaJones

Post by HindianaJones » Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 am

In Arelith, first you get the addy...

Septire

Post by Septire » Wed May 24, 2017 8:06 am

I have lots of adamantine and am desperately trying to sell it for 60k (low end market price) and can barely find any buyers. Been running around Andunor screaming at people to buy my adamantine and everyone says they don't need it or have enough already.

Not experiencing sky-rocketing prices or hoarding in the slightest... Are we playing the same game?

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 am

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Mr_Rieper wrote:So is the main problem here that the very best equipment is extremely difficult to get, or is it that end game dungeons almost require it?
Its both, paradoxically, considering top-tier materials are in said epic dungeons. Hence the neverending downward spiral.
Adamantine is not required to complete end game dungeons. I know, I've done it. Solo. Without adamantine. And if you get a party, you can use -guard and dance around naked in the dungeons.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Wed May 24, 2017 8:21 am

I saw one adamentium get lynched in an alleyway.

Adamentium lives matter!

Legit though, my only melee character never had anything above mithril and she did alright. She did have a masterly danask sword, the crits were sooo much better as a WM with that then greensteel

So I do not think full adamentium or even any adamentium gear is required save maybe for the weapon

My ranger got an Adamentium helmet for 40k and ive seen multiple sell for that.

Maybe price perception is affected by timezone? You may not be meeting adamentium sellers becsuse they are sll on at a different time?
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am

Septire wrote:I have lots of adamantine and am desperately trying to sell it for 60k (low end market price) and can barely find any buyers. Been running around Andunor screaming at people to buy my adamantine and everyone says they don't need it or have enough already.

Not experiencing sky-rocketing prices or hoarding in the slightest... Are we playing the same game?
Must have not ran into my character or you'd be having a shortage real fast :lol:

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed May 24, 2017 11:56 am

Or mine, for that matter.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed May 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Trunx wrote: Adamantine is not required to complete end game dungeons. I know, I've done it. Solo. Without adamantine. And if you get a party, you can use -guard and dance around naked in the dungeons.
Adamantine armor? Your right.

Now that adamantine is required for m. damask weapons? Not so sure, now. I can't imagine trying some of those areas without m. damask weapons, short of playing a GMW character.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed May 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Every UMD character can be a GMW character, fwiw. Those scrolls only cost like 375-500 gp each and last 90 minutes.

That is to say, a M.Damask weapon can cost 200-267 GMW scrolls as current prices for each.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed May 24, 2017 1:59 pm

And if you wanted to roll another pure Fighter, you'd be borked Lorkas.

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Wed May 24, 2017 5:13 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Trunx wrote: Adamantine is not required to complete end game dungeons. I know, I've done it. Solo. Without adamantine. And if you get a party, you can use -guard and dance around naked in the dungeons.
Adamantine armor? Your right.

Now that adamantine is required for m. damask weapons? Not so sure, now. I can't imagine trying some of those areas without m. damask weapons, short of playing a GMW character.
You can do just fine with greensteel. The DPS difference isn't that huge.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed May 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Caster classes really do not have that many problems farming the stuff. Sucks you can't solo farm it as a melee, but that's just the life of a lot of classes.

I guess it mostly hurts folks who are attemping to create a keen m.damask weapon but I mean. Pay the toll if you want bis weapon.

condotierri

Post by condotierri » Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 am

I find this thread funny. Adamantine is perfectly fine the way it is. It is top tier, and thus should be hard to get and expensive. Want to know a solution to the problem? Magic Vestment.

Yes, that's right. A scroll of that bad boy will net you +3 to your armor and/or shield. BAM! Adamantine equivalent. Want to know another secret...there is a cagey-cage and after a while a nice gnoll gives buffs wait for it...Magic Vestment for +5 on your armor.

So what it really comes down to is people crying about +1 AC on their helm because it's mithril and can't be used with magic vestment. I mean really *summon smallest violin*

Threads like this make me understand why MMO have become easy sauce these days, then after the devs cave these same people turn around and complain how everything is so easy afterwards.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu May 25, 2017 4:24 am

Magic Vestment scrolls have a CL of 5. Have you ever actually seen, let alone used one of these scrolls? I don't see how you think this "solution" would actually work, if so.

Further, MV works on unenhanced armour and shields, so I don't know what you're going on about Mithril helms and the spell being incompatible.

Perhaps this is just an elaborate troll post, and I've been terribly rused - wouldn't that be funny?

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu May 25, 2017 4:26 am

The cage buff award is something "exclusive" to Underdark, I would expect majority of surfacers not to go the shady gnoll in the slums of an Underdark city full of monsters and murderers to ask for a buff.
:)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu May 25, 2017 4:49 am

Yea, MV scrolls on armor give +1 Armor AC that doesn't stack with any other source of Armor AC, like steel armor (or better) or even just Mage Armor.

IIllII

Post by IIllII » Thu May 25, 2017 6:24 am

Buy my adamantine. You need your gear, adventurer! *Rubs hands.*

condotierri

Post by condotierri » Thu May 25, 2017 2:05 pm

gilescorey wrote:Magic Vestment scrolls have a CL of 5. Have you ever actually seen, let alone used one of these scrolls? I don't see how you think this "solution" would actually work, if so.

Yes, I know the scroll is CL 5, but they give me +3 to armor and shield. I don't know why, but they do.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Am I alone in feeling that heavier reliance on UMD is a piss poor compensator for this issue? Isn't lowering the mandatory nature of UMD half the reason so many mundane and magic items and potions were added to the module? I can't help but feel this is a step backwards.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm

condotierri wrote:I find this thread funny. Adamantine is perfectly fine the way it is. It is top tier, and thus should be hard to get and expensive. Want to know a solution to the problem? Magic Vestment.

Yes, that's right. A scroll of that bad boy will net you +3 to your armor and/or shield. BAM! Adamantine equivalent. Want to know another secret...there is a cagey-cage and after a while a nice gnoll gives buffs wait for it...Magic Vestment for +5 on your armor.

So what it really comes down to is people crying about +1 AC on their helm because it's mithril and can't be used with magic vestment. I mean really *summon smallest violin*

Threads like this make me understand why MMO have become easy sauce these days, then after the devs cave these same people turn around and complain how everything is so easy afterwards.
I'm relatively sure you win this thread's prize for simultaneous factual inaccuracy and snarky condescension.

Bravo.
Durvayas wrote:Am I alone in feeling that heavier reliance on UMD is a piss poor compensator for this issue? Isn't lowering the mandatory nature of UMD half the reason so many mundane and magic items and potions were added to the module? I can't help but feel this is a step backwards.
No, this has puzzled me a little as well. We've heard several times that the intent is to make UMD less mandatory and more a nice-to have, and then seen it become more pressingly needed.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Thu May 25, 2017 6:44 pm

+3 AC does make the difference.

Ask that to the 2 Paladins I'm running currently..

Granted I do get DS but I can't cast it forever
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Thu May 25, 2017 8:23 pm

condotierri wrote:I find this thread funny. Adamantine is perfectly fine the way it is. It is top tier, and thus should be hard to get and expensive. Want to know a solution to the problem? Magic Vestment.

Wow... There is just so much wrong with this post. One is clearly the tone and the choice of words, saying we are "crying about +1AC" when you completely ignore the explanation why +3ac is a big deal mechanically.
Another thing that really bothered me is how you compare Arelith to MMO and how "easy sauce" they are these days and that everyone in turn start to complain about how easy they are afterwards. I mean, are you serious? Do you understand that 90% of us here don't want to grind? We only do it as a necessity and we would rather be rping instead of focusing on your oldschool MMO style of grind?
Finally you come to discuss a mechanic of the game with what you claim to be a "bag boy scroll solution" "BAM" easy problem solved! Woooow *add some leet effects here*. Well, just that it absolutely doesn't work like you claim to...

milosr

Post by milosr » Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Im terribly suspicious that the fellow is just trolling us good folks.
Don't feed the troll, his goal was to clearly turn the thread from a semi-productive discussion, into a deranged manure flinging free-for-all.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Thu May 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Nitro wrote:Yeah, people do underestimate the difference +3 AC from addy plate/shield/helmet actually makes when you're up at the high levels of AC. By the time you're at those epic dungeons, and if your character is built well, those extra +3 are likely the difference between mobs needing a 20 to hit you, or less.

That said, I like the notion of Adamantite being rare, really rare. As long as the epic dungeons are re-balanced around the next tier down of armor instead.
Re-balancing for lower tiers would also allow less optimal builds and, or non-try hards to be able to do stuff. I have yet to even have en epic character since I played arelith like over 10 year ago but things have been vamped so much im pretty sure most my fun builds have gone to viable to "this is going to take a serious nose dive in epic lvls".
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu May 25, 2017 8:37 pm

milosr wrote:manure flinging free-for-all.
It's being flung at the source, tbf