NWN2

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ArcanaFTW

NWN2

Post by ArcanaFTW » Mon May 22, 2017 6:47 pm

I've recently been interested in playing some NWN2 servers, but unfortunately, the price listed on GOG and elsewhere is quite extortive for a game that's likely nearly a decade old. Does anyone know where I could buy a copy for less, including the DLCs?

Ebonstar

Re: NWN2

Post by Ebonstar » Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 pm

I played on one nwn2 server pw and it went by the wayside a few years ago. the ones still running i think are small mods and not pw
Yes I can sign

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Just a heads up then, I didn't find the character building satisfying at all on nwn2. From a player perspective I find nwn1 much more enjoyable.

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Mon May 22, 2017 9:29 pm

There are some servers - you can always wait to see if GOG has it bundled or on sale again?
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 pm

I've always found NWN1 to be far more immersive than NWN2, in a way it aged better. NWN1 graphics are just simple enough to let the imagination flow, while NWN2 are "realistic" enough to put a damper on that, but have no flair, the character faces and movements rival Andromeda's awkwardness.
:)

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon May 22, 2017 10:03 pm

NWN 2 was rough in that they changed the UI, which required an adjustment. (Most notably, the functions of the right and left mouse buttons were inverted in most instances).

However, once I got used to it, I found it to be a superior game in all ways (remember that NWN1 came out buggy as hell, too).

It suffered mostly because the game was released in an incomplete state (no DM client) and because broadband was not quite the standard norm it is today (NWN1 on the other hand was optimized to run on a 56K modem).

It was harder to build on, but it allowed for much more immersive worlds and landscapes. If they had shut down the NWN 1 gamespy servers at the same time they released NWN2, I have little doubt what we'd all be playing right now.

Edit: For relevance, I suggest you look up Sigil (from the old City of Doors Initiative team originally on NWN1) or Baldur's Gate. http://www.nwnlist.com/#
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Tue May 23, 2017 3:54 am

If I remember properly, when NWN was free back in December, NWN2 was on sale for $3.99.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Tue May 23, 2017 5:10 am

Ironically this thread appears as I've been playing NWN2 for the first time.

I really think NWN1 is the superior game in all aspects, aside from Safiya who narrows the gap between the two rather significantly.

NWN2 is super clunky and buggy, from what I've played. Maybe I'm just bad and unlucky.

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Tue May 23, 2017 5:17 am

Yeah, I ran into the same. Really wanted to like NWN2, and I've heard fantastic things about the Mask of the Betrayer, but I just couldn't work past the chunkiness of the interface.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Tue May 23, 2017 5:59 am

I actually like the Nwn 1 models better then the second. In my opinion they are all kind of bulky in an awkward way a few of the posts here describe it well.

I do love the environment though in Nwn 2

Class building also isnt as cool not that i am much good at that anyways.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue May 23, 2017 6:51 am

NWN2 has had a mildly controversial history:Most people will either love or or hate it. And the ones that hated it (like myself) Have be very vocal about why.. IN a nutshell I found the game and its expansions very lacking and not worth my time or money, though I think there were some good things about it.

To the point of the OP. I doubt you'll find many, if any , PWS for NWN2 out there. From what I understand, trying to build PWs in NWN2 was significantly harder, mainly because of the amount oF resource overhead. I used to play on a PW where the designer talked about his desire' attempt' and then abandonment of his own NWN2 project.

However good luck and I hope you enjoy the game more than I did, should you ever get to play it in the first place :).

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 am

I probably would have liked nwn2 more if it weren't so obviously incomplete. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the campaign, so I can't even begin to imagine what the dm clinet/toolset end looks like.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Tue May 23, 2017 11:41 am

I played on NWN2 PWs for about 7 years before coming back to NWN1 - I found that NWN1 is a generally higher quality game. Unfortunately most of the PWs are slow/low player base these days, although I hear the Baldur's gate server is still going strong (and uses a custom class hak with lots of new classes).

That said, I did enjoy all three campaigns in NWN2, so if you can get them cheap that may be worth it. The controls are weird and many things don't work as they do in NWN1 (such as camera control being reversed). You do get four classes though, which can be fun for character building!
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Fri May 26, 2017 4:12 am

That NWN2 camera ~~~~Facepalm~~~~
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 am

I like some of the improvements to NWN2 like character height and some spells and abilities... But no matter how long I played I could never get past how clunky it felt, and somehow ... NWN1 graphics have aged better. It's low quality enough to let me use my imagination and I like that.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri May 26, 2017 5:06 am

Disclaimer: firmly in the "hated it" camp

I wanted to like it, and we were all excited when it came out...but from the recycled bits...to the awkward multiplayer...to the list of failed promises (remember the z-axis anyone?)...well, this is not the first time Obsidian mucked up a baton-pass from Bioware.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.