OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Diilicious

I like this suggestion!

Post by Diilicious » Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Weapon / Armour Proficiency
Link to thread
Give all PC's weapon and armour proficiency feats on their hides

Add severe penalties for using weapons / armour when not proficient in them (When the PC doesn't have the feats naturally)

E.G.

Weapon penalties outside of 'actual' proficiency : -10 AB, -10 Damage.
Full Plate penalties outside of 'actual' proficiency: -8 AC

Etc!
I think this would be a really great idea, it would make things much more natural in the game, having the abitrary reasons people could literally not even touch a weapon were suddenly not abitrary anymore.

Everyone can equip everything and anything they want! because it makes sense that you should be able to pick up any item in the game and put it on/hold it in your hand regardless of whether you have trained in its use or not, however you should not expect to be able to use said items to any great effect.

I think this would be great to have. :) what do other people think of this?
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

HindianaJones

Re: I like this suggestion!

Post by HindianaJones » Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 pm

I don't like it.

I feel like the choices you make in the creation of a character should be represented by both advantages AND limitations. Proficiency represents the very base amount of required training to use something. For weapons, shields and armour, it adds a massive elemental to choices that people make about their characters. It would be the same as suggesting that everyone gets UMD, or that everyone gets to learn spells.

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Thu May 18, 2017 11:35 pm

It would be great for smiths who make a weapon. They could then equip it and set the appearance before giving/selling it.

For carpenters it allows the same with bows, magic staves etc.

When I played an enchanter, I often wished I could equip things to alter their appearances for the fancy ones that I gave elaborate descriptions to.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Thu May 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Would confuse newbies. It's a lot simpler to understand why you can't do something, rather than why you shouldn't.

I can see why you'd want something like this implemented, Icewind Dale 2 had something similar, if I'm remembering correctly. You could give your characters items they weren't proficient in, or let anybody dual wield, but it would be a terrible idea. Your mage might look badass with a battleaxe but god forbid he tries to swing it.

And you know what? I screwed up there too. Didn't realise I was playing with a severely unoptimised party and had missed several important feats.

It would be cool to use any item, but have penalties. But is it worth it? Is the problem we're fixing worth more than the problem we gain?
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 am

If the problem are noobies, that can be fixed by implementing a message in the lines of "You don't have X proficiency required for this weapon. Applying X penalty." in the combat log. Similarly to the +2 AB bonus from 2h.
:)

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 am

I think from a strictly mechanical standpoint this is absolutely pointless.

That said, it's not really about the mechanics all the time - the OP has a point in that people who can't wear/equip certain items based on proficiency class is a little arbitrary.

The only point of trepidation I have is certain artefacts (say, a +4 intelligence handaxe for example) that might not have been usable by a wizard without feat cost would be usable now with no downside - after all, what good mage is going to be waving a weapon around as anything but a statstick, anyway?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Fri May 19, 2017 12:09 am

The stars align. I agree with Cortex.
And even for that matter, newbies are gonna noob. EVERYBODY screws up their first character. Nothing will prevent that short of having somebody hold your hand all the way, and that usually does more harm than good.

On the topic note:
I've always found extremely silly that you cannot even HOLD a weapon that you aren't proficient with.
Maybe add a discipline penalty with untrained equipment, as well?
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Fri May 19, 2017 1:44 am

I'm not sure of the suggestion because it would be difficult to balance from what I see. I lean against it for that.

I do think that from a crafting station you should be able to change an item's look.

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Fri May 19, 2017 1:56 am

I'm all in favor. Slap me with whatever penalty you like, just let my nefarious rogue disguise properly as a cordor guardsman.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri May 19, 2017 2:29 am

gilescorey wrote:certain artefacts (say, a +4 intelligence handaxe for example) that might not have been usable by a wizard without feat cost would be usable now with no downside - after all, what good mage is going to be waving a weapon around as anything but a statstick, anyway?
This tbh.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:26 am

I like this suggestion! As long as the penalties are severe enough. It would just be fun for RP to be able to hold any weapon and equip any kind of armor. Could have some fun with costumes!
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 am

gilescorey wrote:I think from a strictly mechanical standpoint this is absolutely pointless.

That said, it's not really about the mechanics all the time - the OP has a point in that people who can't wear/equip certain items based on proficiency class is a little arbitrary.

The only point of trepidation I have is certain artefacts (say, a +4 intelligence handaxe for example) that might not have been usable by a wizard without feat cost would be usable now with no downside - after all, what good mage is going to be waving a weapon around as anything but a statstick, anyway?
While as the player of a blacksmith I'd love to be able to edit the appearances of exotic weapons so I could desc them better and like the intent of the suggestion, I'm with giles here.

Unless there were some way to mechanically suppress items that fit into the 'you shouldn't be able to use this' catagory, this is going to be abused used to equip artefacts purely for stats.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Fri May 19, 2017 8:22 am

I agree with gilescorey and I think he hit the nail on this subject.

This would have been a lot of coding that would need to be introduced without any serious benefits beside allowing equipping artifacts for purely mechanical advantages to Your character.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri May 19, 2017 10:53 am

How about adding some rings with Martial and exotic weapon focus on them into the loot matrix (with the above penalties).

Then people can use any weapon for RP purposes, but have to sacrifice a ring slot for it, so artefacts still have a trade-off associated with them.

Midnight In A Perfect World
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Midnight In A Perfect World » Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 am

Nitro wrote:How about adding some rings with Martial and exotic weapon focus on them into the loot matrix (with the above penalties).

Then people can use any weapon for RP purposes, but have to sacrifice a ring slot for it, so artefacts still have a trade-off associated with them.
That is actually a great idea.
In the depths, no one can hear you scream...

Well, they can, but it's really muffled.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm

I understand that this will make it slightly easier for caster classes to have a higher chance to get favourable artefact weapons, but I don't feel this is a balance issue in of itself as you can obtain the items anyway.

If there's a balance issue at all, it's in the artefact system itself. (Though I don't necessarily agree there is!)

The artefact system could also be adjusted to offset the slight increase in caster artefact choice, though personally I don't think it's necessary.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Prestige

Post by Prestige » Fri May 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Nitro wrote:How about adding some rings with Martial and exotic weapon focus on them into the loot matrix (with the above penalties).

Because you can equip the ring, then the weapon, then un-equip the ring and the weapon won't un-equip unless you log out or switch servers, at which point you can lather, rinse, and repeat.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri May 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Just add an in game ring that lets you wield exotic weapons. Wouldn't be the first item that had a minor feat on it.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Fri May 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Oh hecks yes. Give me your penalties, I just want to hold a sword if I want to.
Last edited by Miaou on Sat May 20, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm

50 forging could give you martial proficiency, or exotic if you have it already. Lets people who have dedicated their crafting existence to it hold whatever.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

kittenblackfriends

Post by kittenblackfriends » Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Miaou wrote:Oh hecks yes. Give me your penalties, I just want to hold a sword of I want to.
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Miaou wrote:Oh hecks yes. Give me your penalties, I just want to hold a sword of I want to.